PDA

View Full Version : Head cover cable harness removal---too much adhesive

Ohio
01-17-2017, 03:06 PM
I'm trying to replace the original clear cover with a cover for the dust collection parts. I have the PDF with the instructions and have referred to it frequently. I have a Carvewright Version C.

I got all for of the head cover screws removed but the head cover cable harness (the 10-pin connector) will not come out. It is so covered with adhesive it won't budge. I called LHR and spoke with Chris who said that I should use a razor blade along the seam to cut the adhesive.

Yeah, that didn't work. I couldn't get all the way around the connector to trim off the adhesive plus I'm a little concerned using a razor blade around the wiring. I tried a bit of wiggling but the board is moving and not the connector. I've taken apart these connectors pretty often but this is the first time I've run into so much adhesive.

Does anyone have any ideas? I tried swearing but that didn't work, either.

If not, maybe this little gem...after speaking with Chris (he said this would work but it'd be trickier) I went ahead and removed the clear cover brackets using a mirror and a flashlight. That wasn't a problem. However, I'm having a terrible time getting the replacement dust collection cover back in. Is there some trick I'm missing? I got it out ok, but it ain't going back in.

A fifteen minute swap is taking the better part of an afternoon and I feel like an idiot.

fwharris
01-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Well that does sound like a PIA thing to go through to get the main cover off. This must be something new that they have been gluing on the one connector that most frequently needs to be removed to do some normal maintenance to the machine. I would highly suggest that when you call back in that you ask to speak to a higher person beyond the service desk to let them know.

Replacing the clear cover with the main cover still on might be easier if you laid the machine over on the back side. If you can find a second pair of hands that might help with supporting the clear cover while you use your hands to get the screws installed.

I would still try to get the wire harness unglued. Not sure if some alcohol would help loosen the glue up or not.

Ohio
01-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Well that does sound like a PIA thing to go through to get the main cover off. This must be something new that they have been gluing on the one connector that most frequently needs to be removed to do some normal maintenance to the machine. I would highly suggest that when you call back in that you ask to speak to a higher person beyond the service desk to let them know.

Replacing the clear cover with the main cover still on might be easier if you laid the machine over on the back side. If you can find a second pair of hands that might help with supporting the clear cover while you use your hands to get the screws installed.

I would still try to get the wire harness unglued. Not sure if some alcohol would help loosen the glue up or not.

Well, since I'm the one getting unglued, I will definitely try alcohol. Maybe gin. Hmmm...medicinal.

This is a joke. I don't drink alcohol when working with power tools. I may, however, drink alcohol when intentionally setting a power tool on fire. Theoretically. I am not admitting to setting a power tool on fire. Let's just say I was more or less in the vicinity when it occurred.

Yeah, the glue seems goofy to me, too. But I got it sorted. I used a tweezers and very tiny file to remove layers of the glue and then to persuade the connector to come loose. That worked well enough I was able to pull it off without breaking anything and cleaned off the connector before I put it all back together. So yay for me.

There is a trick with the clear cover. You have to bend the left side of the cover (where the brackets attach) just a bit to get the pins to slide all the way down. There's a circle of plastic that forces the pins to sit with very little play and there's no room for error when trying to out the pins and cover back on. The right side (closest to the keyboard) has an extra piece so I got that pin into place and then flexed the left side slightly while pushing down and swearing to get that side in.

So thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions, complaints, and puzzlements.

fwharris
01-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Well now that the work is all done and you have the cover put back on, sit back and enjoy that drink!