PDA

View Full Version : Crashed and Burnt

Sarge
03-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Just got back from buying a brand new, high speed, low drag digital camera. The pics were giant, then too small. I gotta figure it out first. They're real crisp though.

Well folks, I took my baby apart today and it wasn't pretty. I found every wire was secure, the pulley belts intact. The cutting head was stopped in the far left side. It would move left and right, but very stiff moving up and down. As I moved it, I saw a few specks of shiny stuff. I then saw more and more. Some ugly metallic dust. I think it came from the gear inside the head.

OK, I CUT MYSELF (like an idiot) and bled on my baby. I cleaned the thing thoroughly, and re-assembled it. I ran a systems check, (Option 0, then 7) and everything checked good. Went to the project I had loaded, started and all I heard was a light humm. NO Movement. Shortly, it displayed "Assert Macro Failed, Error 87.

pkunk
03-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Sarge, what's with your pics-can't get them past thumbs?

bobi
03-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Sarge, what's with your pics-can't get them past thumbs?

That's is what sarge posted, just the thumbnails.

Sarge
03-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Alright, they're fixed.

pkunk
03-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Aim for about 75 Kb.:D

Digitalwoodshop
03-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Driving in one direction is classic blown driver transistor. One driver transistor left or right is blown and most likely shorted internally causing the head to drive into one side.

They open or short when they go. Replaced a bunch at Sony.

AL

liquidguitars
03-25-2007, 01:49 PM
the photos are like looking at a old CHP mag but without much help.

Everyone take 5 min and remove the cutting bit before you clean or repair "101" .:mad:

Sarge did you remove your flex shaft for cleaning?

Liq

Sarge
03-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Yep, did maintenance on flex shaft. The cut didn't come from the bit, the tab to the left of the bit got me!!!

liquidguitars
03-25-2007, 03:45 PM
One of the first things i did on the new CW was to make sure the truck moved free and the same time clipping my thumb on that %$% black z truck flag :)
I think we can remove it now after 1.119.

all I heard was a light humm. NO Movement. Shortly, it displayed "Assert Macro Failed, Error 87.

Take a look at your chuck and flex shaft, when you turn the chuck can you feel the shaft moving? could be why the few specks of shiny stuff came loose.

Lig

Skyhawk
03-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Sarge, One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here...(with the bit removed) and the power unplugged grab the head and try to move it up and down...It should move with minor resistance...

My machine had a couple of bearings freeze, causing the head to have difficulty moving both up and down as well as front to back...I noticed the problem before anythig drastic like a broken gear or error popped up, but this could be caused from the same thing!

Sarge
03-27-2007, 04:48 PM
She's definitely dead. CW techs, including Chris said they haven't heard of the infamous Assert Macro Failed Error 87. I bought the machine through the infommercial. When I went to return it at the SEARS store, BIG PROBLEM!!! They didn't have a clue how to refund the darned thing, the paperwork said to return it to some place else. BUT, it's a SEARS product, I demanded service. Eventually,, the store manager got involved and figured a way to fix the paperwork. Now, I'm waiting for a new one (due on 04/04/2007).

If anyone needs another set of eyes for mpc's, I'll look at them and TRY to help.

DRIVE ON, ROCK STEADY

Semper Fi
03-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Bummer, Sarge! Hope the next one is ok!

Ernie

BoardSilly
03-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Since the software, and underlying firmware, appears to have been written in C++, I'll shed a little light on this. In C++ the library assert.h provides the macro "void assert(int expression)". This macro is used for checking expressions when the code runs. If the expression evaluates as false, then the execution of the code is aborted with a diagnostic code returned. That is what is happening here. There is an expresison in the software/firmware that is returning a false condition and it is hitting the assert macro. This then stops the program execution and returns the diagnostic code applicable to the runtime fault.

Mike
03-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Get'er up and running soon Sarge! I'm stalled waiting on new traction belts. They said that they had them in stock. Maybe I'll post some more of my projects until then.
Mike

Sarge
03-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Since the software, and underlying firmware, appears to have been written in C++, I'll shed a little light on this. In C++ the library assert.h provides the macro "void assert(int expression)". This macro is used for checking expressions when the code runs. If the expression evaluates as false, then the execution of the code is aborted with a diagnostic code returned. That is what is happening here. There is an expresison in the software/firmware that is returning a false condition and it is hitting the assert macro. This then stops the program execution and returns the diagnostic code applicable to the runtime fault.

OK.......... can you put that into non "Einstein" terminology?? (Expressions, False Expressions, False Conditions, Assert Macro, Execution, Runtime Fault, Void Assert, Library Assert??????)
Never mind, it doesn't matter. In laymans terms.......DEAD (It was executed.)
Here is an expression........:confused:

GSchm87408
03-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Are we going through carving withdrawal Sarge, Sorry to hear about your machine!!!

About your bible with cross
What are the board settings
What wood
looks like fun to carve

Sarge
03-28-2007, 10:10 PM
I dunno..........check the mpc posted. I would think 1.5" thick by 14W x 20L? I didn't change the original board dimensions. The edge of the bible ledge might have to be reliefed to the cover height by radial arm saw???? I really don't know, but it looks feasible. I was bored stiff, and decided to try and fix the original post by someone else.

If you do try it, I'd suggest some mahagony, red oak or sapele for a finished project. I'd waste the time and lumber first cut of pine or douglas fir in less than BEST (faster and cheaper). This would give you a general idea what it'll look like. I'd like to see it when you're done.

Good Luck

GSchm87408
03-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks Sarge
I will let you know
I went to your web page nice job!
Glenn

forqnc
03-29-2007, 07:28 AM
OK.......... can you put that into non "Einstein" terminology?? (Expressions, False Expressions, False Conditions, Assert Macro, Execution, Runtime Fault, Void Assert, Library Assert??????)
Never mind, it doesn't matter. In laymans terms.......DEAD (It was executed.)
Here is an expression........:confused:

Basically as your program was running it hit a tree and stopped Dead. With Windows a CTRL ALT DEL would probably fix it. :p
Hope your up and running soon.