PDA

View Full Version : JANUARY 2017 Project of the Month - Barista and Tea Master Teaspoon Rests!

mtylerfl
01-06-2017, 07:50 AM
Hello,

This project features a set of teaspoon rests for both coffee and tea drinkers! Handy for placing near your coffee maker or teapot, these spoon rests comfortably hold one, two or even three teaspoons to keep drips off your table or countertop.

A set of four different styles of the spoon rests are pre-arranged on a single board, but you can copy/paste any of the rests to a new board layout, if you would like to make several of a single style.

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Spoon_Rest_Set.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions: 0.75" x 7" x 26"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine.

3) Sandpaper, stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) Suggested additional tools:
A small belt sander, Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Spoon Rest samples made from Poplar:

• Two coats of thinned Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat
(50% denatured alcohol and 50% Seal Coat), sanding after each coat
• Several coats of gloss Krylon Clear Acrylic spray

Alternative finish ideas are to use a wipe-on Salad Bowl finish, a urethane finish or a painted finish (perhaps metallic!). The goal is to apply finishes that will protect the wood from mild moisture.

normrichards
01-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Really great idea! I wonder how you come up with these month after month, year after year.

dbemus
01-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Very clever! I always look forward to the POM. Kind of like Christmas, Always unique, utilitarian and exciting to carve and finish. Thank you Michael!

mtylerfl
01-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Thank you for the nice comments!

BobC33
01-10-2017, 05:29 PM
When is the January POM coming out? It's the 10th.........

lynnfrwd
01-10-2017, 06:04 PM
I was not aware that it hadn't gone out. I will get Davis to do that tomorrow.

lynnfrwd
01-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Everyone should have received it now.

mikemi
01-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Everyone should have received it now.

I haven't received it yet.

Mike