PDA

View Full Version : wood too thick question

myshop1044
01-03-2017, 03:38 PM
I have been making roux spoons for ever. it is a 2 sided carve, in a 3/4' sled, with 1/2" bottom.
on the back side carve, it ask for the carving bit and I am doing a simple taper inside a region, then another 1/8"
carve along the rest of the handle.
It ask for the carving bit, checks the bit , checks the height of the wood, then it attempts to check the thickness of the sled.
using the carving bit. then tells me the "project is too thick" , 1 to abort, 2 to cont., I give it a 2,
It goes on completes the back side carve ok.
When the board is flipped , it compeletes the carving, and the text, then at that point, it does the cutpath, 3 passes, 1/4" depth each pass
but does not put any tabs, the tabs are at set as 4 , 3/16h ".
I have to watch it or it will go on to the fourth pass the spoons will be completely loose, I stop the process at that point.
before it breaks the bit.
Any Ideas on the problem
see the attachments, the first is the back side carve, 2nd is the front, 3rd shows an attempt to put tabs at the top left and lower right.

fwharris
01-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Is your design board thickness 3/4"?

At the machine does it ask if your project is in a sled?

My guess it is thinking it has to cut through your project board and the sled.

bergerud
01-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Does the message board too thick occur as the bit bobs at the brass roller?

myshop1044
01-03-2017, 05:44 PM
Yes the project is 3/4" and I say no to the seld question.
Dan it checks the depth on the right side , on the glide plate , as it would do when it has a cut bit in the chuck.
I have a similar project, 2 sided carved in a sled, it carves a oval region, drill 2 holes 1/4" deep on the back side.
then I flip the board in the sled and carve a pattern , then do a cutpath to cut out both ovals.
It does the depth when it has the cutting bit in place on the top side of the project.

fwharris
01-03-2017, 05:56 PM
If you are saying no to "is it in a sled/jig" then I think if is finding a board thicker than your design board and that is why you are getting the to thick to cut message.

bergerud
01-03-2017, 05:58 PM
My guess would be that your z depth needs to be calibrated. If the thickness is way off, it asks about the sliding plate and then asks for the thickness.

(As a note, when the machine thinks the board is too thick and you press continue, it proceeds assuming that the board is the max thickness of 1". That explains where the tabs went.)

myshop1044
01-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Ok how do you calibrate the z depth? It doesn't ask if the glide plate is in place, it just said the board it too thick.
how old is the sled question? It seems long time ago we did not have the sled question.

bergerud
01-03-2017, 06:36 PM
To calibrate depth 0-6-2. Key in the thickness of a known board and let it go.

The sled question is fairly new 2.005. The flip-in-jig feature. see :http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?25462-Two-Sided-Carves-New-quot-Flip-Within-Jig-quot-feature-of-2-005&p=227429#post227429

fwharris
01-03-2017, 06:55 PM
Ok how do you calibrate the z depth? It doesn't ask if the glide plate is in place, it just said the board it too thick.
how old is the sled question? It seems long time ago we did not have the sled question.

It came out with the 2.0 release... http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?25462-Two-Sided-Carves-New-quot-Flip-Within-Jig-quot-feature-of-2-005&p=227429#post227429

myshop1044
01-03-2017, 07:15 PM
Thanks fellows, I will try to recalibrate and say yes to sled question, have a good evening, we are expecting some cold weather soon in the high 40's.

bergerud
01-03-2017, 07:40 PM
You do not want to say yes to the sled question. If you do, you will be into the flip-in-jig procedure. Jogging to corners and so on.

Another option for your carving problem might be to move the sliding plate way during the measurement. The machine will ask if the sliding plate is there and you lie. Say yes. If it then asks for the board thickness, all will be good.

myshop1044
01-03-2017, 08:24 PM
I never believe in that flip-in-jig thing, but you want me to lie to the machine, I can't believe that! I have been lying for a long time. Thanks for the suggestion, we see what happens tomorrow.
I have been doing the same projects with 2 sled and get some problems with one and not the other.
I do have another sled for the spoons, I might try the other one just to see what happens.

bergerud
01-03-2017, 09:32 PM
But I think you should just try the depth calibration first to see if that was the problem.

myshop1044
01-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Depth cal is great .748, 3/4" board, The moving the glide plate works great, the bit tried 3 times, said yes to the question and then entered .75 to board depth question. I also realize I had a design flaw, I was using 3/16" tabs, but I was taking 1/8" off the back, a there was not enough tab to hold the spoon. I reduced to cut 1/16".
Now when I flipped the board to the top side, it never checked for depth of the board. It did the cut path with good tabs, no problem.
great working with you on this. I am considering turn off the jig question, what do you think?

bergerud
01-05-2017, 02:35 PM
I am considering turn off the jig question, what do you think?

I did not think you could turn that off.

I still do not understand the board too thick message and why the tabs cut. (When the rear of the board has a carve region intersecting a cutout, I thought it defaulted to full depth tabs.)