PDA

View Full Version : Cut Motor Case Replacement

gwhiz
01-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Is it possible to replace the Cut Motor case? I replaced the X drive gear assembly yesterday and halfway through the next carve i got a Y drive error. Turns out that the cut motor casing broke at the flexshaft attachment. Apparently I stressed it when I change the X drive gear assembly following the directions to turn the machine on it's back--it should tell you to remove the flexshaft first! Live and learn.

At any rate, do i need to spend $185 to replace the entire motor, or is it possible to purchase just the case?

Thanks guys.

-George

Mike1
01-02-2017, 09:04 AM
Hi George. not sure if this will help or not. It worked for me, pretty amazing. Good luck.
https://www.plast-aid.com/

gwhiz
01-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Thanks Mike. I ordered some and I'm going to give it a try. Right now I've got the flexshaft held in the cut motor with a hose clamp--it's a ghetto repair, but it keeps me running for now!

fwharris
01-02-2017, 11:49 AM
I just had to replace a cut motor case. Lucky that I had one from an old display machine that a buddy and I picked up from a WoodCraft store. You might give CarveWright a call to see if they might have one they will sell. You might not need both parts, top or bottom, depending on your break.

Mike1
01-02-2017, 02:56 PM
Welcome. Let us know how it worked.

gwhiz
01-04-2017, 08:17 PM
Welcome. Let us know how it worked.

Mike--that stuff is awesome! I got it today, found all the broken pieces of the old case, and used thin Plast-Aid to glue it all back together. Then I let it thicken and used it to reinforce the housing most of the way around--still allowing for the case to be split in the future. After it hardened (30 minutes) I reconnected the flex shaft and twisted it in place. Feels more solid than it did originally. I did use a cable tie on the flex shaft near the cut motor to minimize movement there in the future. It's not a pretty repair, but it's running and seems that it will do the job--time will be the judge!

Dale
01-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Glad you got it working. Keep us updated, I have a motor case I may try to repair.

Mike1
01-04-2017, 09:11 PM
Great to hear, maybe it will save us all some money in the future, who knows. Thanks for getting back to us.

Digitalwoodshop
01-05-2017, 02:17 PM
I too had case problems but I believe they were caused by shipping with the flex installed. Shipping to ME when I bought them used way back in 2007. JB Weld.