PDA

View Full Version : X-Termination Electronics Board

Mindek
12-31-2016, 08:16 AM
I have burned up two X-Termination Boards also known as AC Motor Control Electronic Boards and I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem? The burn out on both boards occurred just below the R3 resistor. It appears to be caused by too much current drawn by the cut motor.

I am wondering if the boards should be protected with a fuse to prevent over current protection or if the boards should be redesigned to be able to carry more current with out burn up?

bergerud
12-31-2016, 10:23 AM
We have had many discussions in the past about this. My guess is that you use opening the cover to interrupt carving. The opening of the right cover switch when the motor is under load results in a high voltage back EMF. I presume that this voltage spike is what took out your circuit board.

I always use the stop button before opening the cover.

Mindek
12-31-2016, 11:09 AM
Thank you very much, I missed those discussions. It is interesting that opening the cover switch generates a high voltage Electromagnetic Field but pressing the stop button does not.

I will change my habits and save another $62.

fwharris
12-31-2016, 11:34 AM
Dan is correct about using the stop button to pause the carving process. It tells the computer to pause all operations versus the computer having to recognize that the cover switches have been opened and then react to shut things down. The cut motor switch/circuit voltage is 110 V so there is that potential for arcing. I do not know if you have noticed or if your machine does it, but sometimes with the machine setting idle when you raise the cover the cut motor will get a small bump of power. Just be careful in pressing the stop button to insure you only touch it once.

Mindek
12-31-2016, 04:24 PM
Thank you very much Senior Members I appreciate your taking your time to help me understand this problem. I believe that you have saved me time and money. Now I am waiting for my new X-Termination Electronics Board so I can begin carving again.