PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a submarine model

oscarl48
12-30-2016, 05:43 PM
My father-in-law is an old submariner and I wanted to try to make a model of his sub as a keepsake. Attempting an stl two piece pattern. Took me all day to make the pattern so won't be able to try to carve until Sunday. I am headed to north of Houston tomorrow. Uploaded to the card and it says 3.5 hours on normal for a 20 inch carving.

Not a real popular class of boat (Balao modified Guppy class) so didn't find a lot of good pictures for it. A lot of old grainy black and white images. This was the best I could do and I am sure the model has many wrong features.

Funny how much attachment we have to our old platforms. All of my weapon systems that I operated or was part of have been retired from the Air Force inventory. A little sad and nostalgic plus feeling ancient.

bergerud
12-30-2016, 06:14 PM
That is awesome. I do not know what it is supposed to look like, but, it sure looks good.

(Would it carve a little faster if you put the halves bottom to bottom instead of tower to tower?)

oscarl48
12-30-2016, 07:16 PM
Dan, you rock. Yup. Down to 2hrs 45 min. Saved 45 minutes just by changing the orientation.

Here is a picture of the boat prior to the Guppy modification. They got a few more years of use by streamlining the hull to make it quieter. This the Balao configuration. Post modification it became a Guppy class configuration sub. They got rid of the guns and modified the tower for better streamlining.

And for you Navy types who names a weapon system a Guppy!?!? Piranha or shark or something scary, not Guppy!

Alan Malmstrom
12-30-2016, 10:39 PM
That looks pretty good.

oscarl48
12-31-2016, 07:28 AM
Alan,

Thanks. We'll have to see what the final product comes out. This is going to be my first real model. I'm really hoping it comes out.

keninar
12-31-2016, 09:15 AM
Oscar,
Great job on the pattern!

My father-in-law also served on a Balao class. ( Been married to his daughter for 36 years - this tidbit didn't come up until this past weekend - then comes your post!)

Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Thanks!

Alan Malmstrom
12-31-2016, 11:10 AM
Deep piercing carves like that take a while. You might want to upload as best or optimal (smaller step-over). I've done deep stuff like. It can put a little wear on the Y bearings.

Looks like it will carve out good though. Maybe you should set a slight draft so it's not so steep around the edges. You will sand it down later any way.

normrichards
01-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Waiting to see the finished project, it should be cool!

oscarl48
04-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Finally. This was supposed to have been a Christmas present so just a little late. Made the base with some cherry scrap I had lying around. My in-laws are coming this weekend so I'll be able to give it to him in person.

Family crest in red oak and submarine and base in cherry lumber. Super happy with the projects.

- O

Geomoo1
04-01-2017, 06:00 PM
Wow! That came out fantastic!!!

Icutone2
04-01-2017, 07:24 PM
WOW that is GREAT! Thanks for showing it.
Lee

SharonB
04-01-2017, 11:14 PM
A well-executed project Oscar. I like the submarine cribbage board. And no, you are not late with the present.... just tell them you are early for 2017's Christmas

normrichards
04-02-2017, 12:59 AM
The family crest looks antique, great job on the staining. The sub is so sleek and well sanded it has a superb finish.

Canemaker
04-02-2017, 01:17 PM
great project as usual ...both came out great and will be appreciated for generations to come.