PDA

View Full Version : flexshaft installation

rflournoy
12-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Well, it's happened again...another flexshaft disintegrated. This time it has done lots of projects and has been well maintained (I think), but have been expecting it to crash soon due to heavy use. After receiving the new flexshaft I am unable to get it installed. It fits into the cut motor just fine, but won't click all the way into the tophat. It only goes about halfway in and seems to be hitting a stop. I took the tophat off, cleaned it up, and looked inside to make sure there were no bits of debris stuck inside. Everything looks clear, but the shaft won't fully insert. Any ideas? Or am I doing something incorrectly?
Thanks!

myshop1044
12-25-2016, 09:11 PM
Are you sure the shaft is fitting in the motor correctly, if it fits well you should have a shot piece of the shaft sticking out the flex shaft. I had the same problem once, it was not seated all the way. I took the motor out and then reseated the shaft, then put the motor back with the shaft attached. Just my idea.

fwharris
12-25-2016, 10:23 PM
Pull the flex shaft out of the core a little bit and verify it will fit into the spindle. If it does then re install it into the cut motor. If it goes into the motor you should feel some resistance when turning the end of the flex shaft with your fingers. It should stick out of the core just over 1/2" or so.

bergerud
12-26-2016, 12:23 AM
There was an example before where the end of the flex sheath was not made properly and it would not fit into the top hat past the grove. Measure the diameter below and above the grove to make sure they are the same. If they are not, you have a defective sheath. It should read about 11.70 mm above and below the grove.

rflournoy
12-29-2016, 03:30 PM
I measured the end of the shaft where it fits into the tophat and found it to be 11.95 mm. After talking to Chris at Carvewright, I sanded the end with my Dremel sanding tip, and after a few tries it snapped right in! Thank you all for the suggestions, and thanks to Chris for suggesting that I sand it...a little a time, of course.

bergerud
12-29-2016, 04:05 PM
I do not like that! The end of the flex rotates (under some stress) in the top hat as the carriage moves back and forth. If it is not perfectly round and smooth, it will wear out the top hat in no time. I think the flex core was defective and you should ask LHR to send you a new one.