PDA

View Full Version : So came home to this....(flex shaft melted)

kzushma
12-24-2016, 08:36 PM
So stepped out for a bit while a carving was running and came back to this.

Knew it was coming...had a hot spot on the cable when I purchased the machine.

Hopefully looks worse than it is and damage is limited to the flex shaft assembly. (which is currently back ordered)

Anything special I should be looking at that could have been affected by this meltdown? Or is it normally limited to the shaft assembly itself?

Mugsowner
12-24-2016, 10:18 PM
The flex shaft will run with a melted housing, as long as the cable and spring guide are still in good shape. The spring guide, should be a one piece unit. The shaft should have no wear spots or loose wires. If all inspects good you should be able to run until the new cable arrives. The cable should be lube on a regular basis to keep this from happening.

bergerud
12-24-2016, 10:43 PM
It is important that the flex core "float" in the sheath. The hot spot you spoke of makes me thing the core was being compressed between the motor and the spindle. Make sure the square ends slip easily and completely into the motor and spindle slots.

fwharris
12-24-2016, 11:00 PM
Insure that the shaft and core make a nice circle/rounded shape from the outlet of the machine into the top hat. Any slight bends/kinks will put a stress point and cause undo rubbing and over heat. I also loosely wire tie the wire to the flex core to insure it stays aligned with the core.

kzushma
12-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all the advice.
I will be take this downtime as an opportunity to perform some of the routine inspections and maintenance.
The "hot spot" I spoke of was the result of a wire tie installed by the previous owner. I removed it after i noticed the melting..but it was too late. Only got a couple of more runs out of it before it went cablooy.

DianMayfield
12-25-2016, 03:36 PM
Sent you a PM

kzushma
12-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Nothing in my inbox...may want to try again.

Sent you a PM

DianMayfield
12-25-2016, 05:08 PM
I did some house cleaning, should have gone now

fwharris
12-25-2016, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the advice.
I will be take this downtime as an opportunity to perform some of the routine inspections and maintenance.
The "hot spot" I spoke of was the result of a wire tie installed by the previous owner. I removed it after i noticed the melting..but it was too late. Only got a couple of more runs out of it before it went cablooy.

I had the same thing when my wire tie was to tight, that is why I stated "loosely".

kzushma
12-26-2016, 07:31 PM
I had the same thing when my wire tie was to tight, that is why I stated "loosely".

Right. Also saw your photo. Much better way to go than what was on mine.

fwharris
12-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Right. Also saw your photo. Much better way to go than what was on mine.

I am betting that it was still the original tie down as from the factory.

kzushma
12-27-2016, 05:31 PM
I am betting that it was still the original tie down as from the factory.

Was a black wire tie...like on a bag of bread.