PDA

View Full Version : X Drive Gears gone bad?

gwhiz
12-21-2016, 05:27 PM
I bad mouthed my CW in another thread and it paid me back tonight as i tried to run one last Christmas project. It at first measured the board (2.5x.75x96 Poplar) almost the full length, stopping a couple of inches from the end with a tracking error. Tracking roller looks and moves fine. X test works normally. Put the board back in (supported on both ends) and it now barely moves it, says BRRRTTTT!, and gives me a tracking fail. It sounds like a gear gone bad, but I don't want to order parts and tear the machine apart without checking with the experts out here.

Any ideas are welcome.

I've got the heavy duty belt upgrade on the way (backordered) so I'll be tearing the machine down soon anyway.

Thanks
-George

bergerud
12-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Sounds like a stripped x gear alright. Take off the cover and have a look!

gwhiz
12-22-2016, 09:39 AM
Sounds like a stripped x gear alright. Take off the cover and have a look!

Will do--that's tonight's project!

lynnfrwd
12-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Did you try a wider and shorter board?

gwhiz
12-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Did you try a wider and shorter board?
Yes--same result.

gwhiz
12-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Bingo! I see a flat spot on the 2nd gear.

Digitalwoodshop
12-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Ahhhh Yes.... The "Fuses" of the X Drive.... Designed to strip in a high torque jam protecting the Servo Motor and the Servo Driver Transistors inside the computer.... A Cheap Fix in the event of a jam... Considering the cost of the Servo Motor or a whole new Computer....

Bummer that it broke but it could have been much more expensive....

I even cut away the machine frame to let me pull the gears off quick just removing the "C" Clips for a fast repair. Picture prior to cutting frame.

AL

gwhiz
12-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks Al. It's not a bad fix--I just wish that my traction belt upgrade wasn't back ordered so I could do all the work at once!