PDA

View Full Version : Can one set the machining order?

keninar
12-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Ran into an oddity this morning, perhaps the veterans of the group can enlighten me.
Simple coaster project, one centerline letter and a circular cut.
Centerline running a 60 degree bit
Circular cut running the 1/8 inch bit.

Odd part was that the circular cut ran first, then the letter

Running 1.187
Material is vinyl flooring, app .305” thick.Material on a .75 inch sled

Circular cut was not a true “cut path”, but rather a circle cut to .305 depth.
Had this been solid material, would have seen no problem.However, since the material is running on a sled and the circular cut ran first, I was quite concerned the now circular “blank” would move when the letter was carved.

Had the foresight to put double-stick tape between the material and the sled and all carved/cut OK. But had my finger on the Stop button just in case.

Is there a way to reverse the cut order, given the above information?

Thanks!

keninar

bergerud
12-21-2016, 11:09 AM
keninar

Not that I know of.

SteveNelson46
12-21-2016, 11:59 AM
The only way is to make the bit assignment for the cutout an actual cutout with the cutout tool. Then it will cut last.

Canemaker
12-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Also, be sure to place tabs on the circular cutout to hold it in place.

keninar
12-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the response.

Merry Christmas!!

CarverJerry
12-22-2016, 12:06 PM
Guess I'm having one of those brain farts again. I'm trying to put 3 of these coasters on one board but every time I paste the 2nd one it's on top of the first. I can't seem to unlock the restraints. I tried putting a region next to the first just can't get it to move where I need it. Not sure who made this but I've modified it and it tests out ok but only one at a time. Any help would be really nice, and if you can explain what you did. I want to use a 5" x 15" board 1/2" thick.

fwharris
12-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Jerry,

Turn off the "center both" first and then copy and paste. You have it set on everything. Do a select all and then un-center.

CarverJerry
12-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Thanks Floyd, that did it. Now I have another question...the guy who started this thread named it change machine order. I was wondering why I can't do the letter A in the center with out doing a carved region...is it possible to conform it to the drilled hole

fwharris
12-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Thanks Floyd, that did it. Now I have another question...the guy who started this thread named it change machine order. I was wondering why I can't do the letter A in the center with out doing a carved region...is it possible to conform it to the drilled hole

I was going to say "You need to conform it do to it being in the drill hole space" but that is not the case. I tried a few different things and could not get the A to show until the carve region was applied.

I am not sure (do not recall) what the correct order of operation steps for the machine is. I know raster carves are first, vectors second and cut outs are last. I am not sure how the drill step and then the V carve text step fit into this.

JLT
12-25-2016, 05:11 PM
keninar

In another post, I seem to recall it was Dan (bergerud) who had pointed out that you can run back-to-back projects without releasing the board, as long as the project size is the same. Ie, the carvewright will not lose track of its position in between projects. I've used this technique two or three times since then. In this case, the idea is to build your project, then alternately hide the cut paths to make a project for the letters, and then hide the letters to create another project for the 1/8" cutting bit...

R, Jon