PDA

View Full Version : Wood may be too thin message.

Sconi
12-16-2016, 07:45 PM
I'm kind of an intermediate level user but learning all the time, I keep getting a message wood may be too thin, but it's 3/4 and the mpc says 3/4, so there isn't a problem there. When changing bits I also get a a message that tells me the bit isn't the same as when it first loaded and found the bit, so I marked the bits just to make sure and I got the same message. It carves ok but I did find a minor detail only partially carved. I searched the support information and looked at the calibration pdf but couldn't find anything on this. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Martin

fwharris
12-16-2016, 08:36 PM
It sounds like you might need to calibrate the depth or board thickness.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Maintenence/Carvewright_User_Calibration.pdf

SteveNelson46
12-16-2016, 09:31 PM
Try using a stop collar on the router bit. Carvewright sells them but they are just 1/4" and 1/2" fish line tubing so you can buy it at just about any hardware store. A stop collar insures that you get the bit at the same depth every time it's inserted. I use the steel collars that are set with a set screw but I think the ones made from tubing do a pretty good job too as long as they don't get hot.

CarverJerry
12-17-2016, 10:29 AM
I use a thin piece of masking tape wrapped around the tool, I just make sure my Rock Chuck is tight and I don't push the tool hard when I'm inserting it into the collet. Have never experienced a problem yet. I used to use a tube that a tool came in cut to length which also works well.

Sconi
12-17-2016, 01:23 PM
I should have been more clear I was using the normal 1/16 and 1/8 bits that come with the collar on them. I do have some of the clear stop collars so I can use them. Giving it more thought the bit issue may be related to the thickness issue so I'm going to tackle that first and see what happens.

Sconi
12-17-2016, 01:24 PM
THANKS! I did glance at the calibrating instructions but I must have missed the depth option, I just had to adjust the board length so I'll give that a try. I appreciate the link.