PDA

View Full Version : Check the Set Screw on the Flexshaft Cut Motor End

mtylerfl
12-10-2016, 02:40 PM
My flexshaft came loose from the Cut Motor during a carve the other day. Apparently the set screw that holds the bayonet connector in position had loosened up and allowed the flexshaft bayonet connector to rotate and pop out of the end of the Cut Motor. Fortunately, I was standing nearby when it happened. I immediately paused the machine, was able to re-insert the bayonet into the motor, rotate it 90 degrees and re-secure the set screw without turning off the machine, without raising the head and without taking the machine apart (I did have to pull the flexshaft out of the spindle head to be able to align the shaft bayonet end into the cut motor). It wasn't easy - I felt like a contortionist. After getting the cut motor end re-installed, I pushed the other end of the flexshaft back into the spindle head and resumed the carve. Saved the project - all was well, and the carve finished without a hitch.

Two lessons learned...

1) Check the set screw at the cut motor end periodically (something I had never, ever thought to do before)
2) Don't leave the machine unattended for very long or monitor it via an audio baby monitor and/or a camera if you have to leave it for awhile

This was a 2 hour carve - naturally I'm not going to stand by the machine the whole time, but I do monitor it. However, it was fortunate I happened to be right next to it when the shaft came out. What got my attention was a radical change in "noise" while carving. If it had run like that for even a few more seconds, I probably would have had a broken bit and possibly ruined the project.

I can't complain. This has never happened before and I consider it a fluke. Nevertheless, it is now on my list for "things to check" when maintaining the machine.

DonCP
12-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the tip. Wonder if this should be included in a PM list?

myshop1044
12-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Good information and alert, MT