PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Evaluation

SteveNelson46
12-06-2016, 02:49 PM
I'm in the process of making a Celtic Love Spoon similar to the ones posted in another thread. It's a 2-sided carve. On the first attempt I used the new dust collection adapter by Carvewright on a Cherry board. What a mess! There was sawdust all over everything and I had to use air pressure to clean out the machine when the piece was flipped over to the front side. The same thing happened on the front carve.

Since I didn't get the depths set correctly and it carved completely through on the spoon end it had to be re-carved. I thought this would be a good opportunity to evaluate the differences between the RNB and the new CW DC so I re-mounted Floyd's RNB for the second attempt. What a difference! There was hardly any sawdust left in the machine or on the board on both sides of the carve.

Now, I did use Walnut on the second attempt so not all factors were exactly the same. Still, it should be close enough for a pretty good evaluation. Floyd's RNB out performed the CW adapter hands down. At least this time.

bergerud
12-06-2016, 02:54 PM
Do you see any reason for this? Is, for example, the intake closer to the board with one Vs the other?

SteveNelson46
12-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Do you see any reason for this? Is, for example, the intake closer to the board with one Vs the other?

There are actually 2 intakes on the CW adapter. One points downward and one horizontal. They're really the same port with two openings. Floyd's just points downward. It may have been a factor with more air being drawn from the board surface.

The Cherry was a little drier so static cling could also have been a factor. Probably not much though.

SteveNelson46
12-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Here is what I'm trying to carve. Just took it off of the machine and it looks promising

fwharris
12-06-2016, 03:18 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. It Just Sucks! :)

12-10-2016, 07:21 AM
From my own personal experience, I can say incontrovertibly that Bergerud's Dust Shoe design out performs my Ringneck Blues DC hands down. The latter will remove a large portion of the chips but I would still have to vacuum out the machine after every carve to really keep things clean - especially when carving static prone lithopanes. After a carve with the Dust Shoe there is only a tiny scattering of chips PLUS I can use my Fein shop vac instead of my very loud 2hp Delta DC. Tremendously quieter. Three thumbs up for the Dust Shoe!