PDA

View Full Version : DECEMBER 2016 Project of the Month - The Bronto Bank!

mtylerfl
12-05-2016, 08:38 AM
​The Bronto Coin Bank makes a great gift for any child age 4 or above! Simple, clean design and classic all-wood construction gives this bank a lot of charm!

Kids will love dropping coins down into the Brontosaurus’ neck and teaches them to save their money in a fun way. An access panel secured with two wood screws is hidden underneath the dinosaur’s belly and can be removed when the time comes to make a withdrawal!

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.

The finished dimensions are about: 14" long x 3" thick x 7.8" tall.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• A_Side_Bronto_Bank.mpc
• B_Side_Bronto_Bank.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:

A_Side: 0.75" x 11" x 27"
B_Side: 0.75" x 11" x 27"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine.

3) Two small wood screws #4 x 0.5" long, a piece of 0.125" thick plywood about 1.875" long x 1.5" wide

4) Drill, wood glue, clamps, sandpaper, stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) Suggested additional tools:
Pin nailer, a small belt sander, Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Bronto Bank sample made from Select Pine:

• Two coats of thinned Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat
(50% denatured alcohol and 50% Seal Coat), sanding after each coat
• Several coats of gloss Krylon Clear Acrylic spray

I chose to keep a natural wood finish, but my wife is suggesting I paint or stain it a green color (like the old Sinclair gas station dinosaur) or even a fuchsia color (like Barney the dinosaur). Another possibility - let the child you are gifting the bank to choose their own preferred color and maybe let him or her apply a finish to the dinosaur!

SteveNelson46
12-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Clever idea Michael. Another great project.

rcdages
12-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Love it Michael !!!!!

dbemus
12-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Great project Michael! Santa will be delivering some of these for sure!!!

Bigtyme
12-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Well done, Michael....Sure to be a hit....

mtylerfl
12-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Thank you very much!

oscarl48
12-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Super creative. Great looking project.

normrichards
12-05-2016, 06:09 PM
A nice simple toy project, great job.