PDA

View Full Version : Battery Backup

dehrlich
12-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Not sure where to post this. Wondering if any of you use a battery backup on your machine in case of power outages while carving. I live in a small town and it seems the power pops off for a few seconds without warning all the time. Today right in the middle of a carve, fortunately I was able to restart without a noticeable difference in the final result. Any intel on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gashawk
12-03-2016, 08:16 AM
It might more productive if the CW had some type of static chip.

Digitalwoodshop
12-03-2016, 01:40 PM
I have given the back up power some thought but our local power company has done some major upgrades in our area and power outages almost never happen now...

First I would get a relay and appropriate Wall Wort transformer. Something like 12 volts DC and a 12 volt DC relay. I would wire it into the left cover switch so when the wall wort is plugged in the relay is ON and the contacts closed as if the relay was not even in the circuit. This way when the power goes out of flickers, the relay will open and it would be as if you had opened the clear cover stopping the machine.

Next I would buy a UPS Power conditioner and plug the machine in to it.

With the relay NOT plugged into the UPS when the power flickers the relay opens and the cut motor stops and the UPS maintains the project with low current draw...

AL

DickB
12-05-2016, 09:12 AM
I don't have one on my Carvewright but do have one on my DirecTV box. Here in central Florida summer thunderstorms are common, as are short power outages. These cause the DirecTV box to restart which is a several minute process. Annoying in the middle of your favorite program. The small UPS that I got handles this well. Also keeps the internet and phone modem up and running.

Key UPS considerations for Carvewright are quality of output, current, and power rating.

A UPS will approximate a sine wave output. Some will do a better job than others. Devices running on a UPS may or may not be sensitive to the quality of sine wave. No telling if the Carvewright is or isn't. Look for one that advertises a pure sine wave to be on the safe side. Most of the larger-capacity UPSs are pure sine wave.

Next you need a UPS that can supply the minimum amount of current required by the Carvewright (manual says 8 amps for Model C).

Finally, how long do you need to run on battery? Just a few minutes, to get through a power glitch? Or an hour or two to finish a carve? You need to match UPS capacity to your needs.

If you decide to get a UPS, let us know the result.

(Al, your relay suggestion is novel, but a wall wort's filter capacitors might keep a relay energized for a time - even seconds - after AC power is gone. I wouldn't bother.)

Digitalwoodshop
12-05-2016, 02:51 PM
I don't have one on my Carvewright but do have one on my DirecTV box. Here in central Florida summer thunderstorms are common, as are short power outages. These cause the DirecTV box to restart which is a several minute process. Annoying in the middle of your favorite program. The small UPS that I got handles this well. Also keeps the internet and phone modem up and running.

Key UPS considerations for Carvewright are quality of output, current, and power rating.

A UPS will approximate a sine wave output. Some will do a better job than others. Devices running on a UPS may or may not be sensitive to the quality of sine wave. No telling if the Carvewright is or isn't. Look for one that advertises a pure sine wave to be on the safe side. Most of the larger-capacity UPSs are pure sine wave.

Next you need a UPS that can supply the minimum amount of current required by the Carvewright (manual says 8 amps for Model C).

Finally, how long do you need to run on battery? Just a few minutes, to get through a power glitch? Or an hour or two to finish a carve? You need to match UPS capacity to your needs.

If you decide to get a UPS, let us know the result.

(Al, your relay suggestion is novel, but a wall wort's filter capacitors might keep a relay energized for a time - even seconds - after AC power is gone. I wouldn't bother.)

To eliminate the Wall Wort Stored Voltage in the filter Capacitor letting the relay delay in dropping out could be eliminated by using a 115 volt AC Relay.... Not as safe as 12 volts DC but if placed in a plastic housing box would be safe.

The trick is to stop the cut motor... then the machine draws very low current.

AL