PDA

View Full Version : Crank part

CarverJerry
11-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Well wouldn't you know it, I go to do a project and bam, the head doesn't want to move. I moved the head down and measured the board but found out that my jig was to short so I started to raise the head and it went up far enough for me to get the jig out then nothing. First time any issue with the crank. As you can see in the picture the cogged washer is busted in half, no fixing that. Has anyone else have this happen to them?
Also I was wondering if anyone has one they would like to sell. I don't need any other extra parts and the shipping from CW is really for just one washer. If you have one of these please pm me and we'll go from there. Thanks in advance.

SteveNelson46
11-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Well wouldn't you know it, I go to do a project and bam, the head doesn't want to move. I moved the head down and measured the board but found out that my jig was to short so I started to raise the head and it went up far enough for me to get the jig out then nothing. First time any issue with the crank. As you can see in the picture the cogged washer is busted in half, no fixing that. Has anyone else have this happen to them?
Also I was wondering if anyone has one they would like to sell. I don't need any other extra parts and the shipping from CW is really for just one washer. If you have one of these please pm me and we'll go from there. Thanks in advance.

It's happened to me several times. Now, when I feel a little more resistance than usual I disassemble the crank mechanism and lube it and the guide posts. Sorry, I don't have any extras. In fact, I don't even have a spare. Since the shipping cost is more than the part I am waiting to order another one until more parts are needed.

EDIT: BTW, nice job on the plaque.

DickB
11-28-2016, 04:06 PM
Buy a bit or two - they do wear out sooner or later.

CarverJerry
11-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Yeah I went ahead and ordered a few extra parts that I will need later on like a new set of brushes. I've got plenty of cutting bits and waiting on a package of 1/8" end mills. Should be good to go by the weekend. So the $12 shipping I've got covered now.

normrichards
12-01-2016, 01:23 AM
Yeah I went ahead and ordered a few extra parts that I will need later on like a new set of brushes. I've got plenty of cutting bits and waiting on a package of 1/8" end mills. Should be good to go by the weekend. So the $12 shipping I've got covered now.

I just hate that we have to order extra stuff to make the shipping more reasonable. It really should be reasonable to begin with. I went to rockler the other day and they had extra bits and with out the shipping they pretty much came close to buying them on ebay and I did not have to remove and reset them into the carvetight adaptor. I bought a couple and what really pushed me to do it was not paying LHR shipping. I felt like I was sticking it to the man! :p

CarverJerry
12-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Got my parts from CW and back up and running. After getting my parts ordered and putting my spare parts away I found that I already had a spare set of brushes, probably from the last time of ordering parts, but I'm sure I'll use them sometime down the road.

meiko728
10-17-2017, 06:44 AM
I actually have the same question!!! Does anyone have an extra washer they would like to possibly sell? I bought the metal plate ( cogged washer) and did not see a washer when I took it apart. I ordered extea brushes ect then. There is seriously nothing I need or can afford atm. I have been buying something almost weekly ( new flex shaft before that) I need the washer asap for a job. I seriously just do not want to pay carvewrights $36 for priority shipping on a flipping $5 washer!!! Ugh. If anyone could help pretty please!!

cjones
11-23-2017, 09:20 AM
I have a question in regards to living the crank mechanism. I did pressure test and after 2 -3 clicks on. Tank down, I am reAding 120 +/-. Per the instructions downloaded from their site, it says to use white lithium grease to lube inside the clutch plate. I remember them saying at the conference to no longer use white lithium grease. What should I use to make sure it is properly lined and head pressure down to where it should be.

Thanks,

Chris

fwharris
11-23-2017, 07:07 PM
I have a question in regards to living the crank mechanism. I did pressure test and after 2 -3 clicks on. Tank down, I am reAding 120 +/-. Per the instructions downloaded from their site, it says to use white lithium grease to lube inside the clutch plate. I remember them saying at the conference to no longer use white lithium grease. What should I use to make sure it is properly lined and head pressure down to where it should be.

Thanks,

Chris

Using lithium grease is not a problem as the parts are not really exposed to the dust.

Pull out the cranking handle and there should be some very thin washers on the shaft. Remove them and see what pressure readings you get.

MRcarvey
12-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Speaking of greasing the clutch - I have been going through my new purchase of an "A" machine (with 7 hrs. cut time) and noticed that it had just under 70 lbs. of head pressure. I did all of the clean, lube and align procedures but no change. It moves up and down pretty easily. I pulled out the crank and found that the entire mechanism (even the spring) was completely packed with lithium. There was so much grease that I did not notice if there were any spacers. Is it possible to over grease the clutch?

As an aside, I also noticed that there was no side-to-side play in the lead screw tie-rod, as there should be.

fwharris
12-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Speaking of greasing the clutch - I have been going through my new purchase of an "A" machine (with 7 hrs. cut time) and noticed that it had just under 70 lbs. of head pressure. I did all of the clean, lube and align procedures but no change. It moves up and down pretty easily. I pulled out the crank and found that the entire mechanism (even the spring) was completely packed with lithium. There was so much grease that I did not notice if there were any spacers. Is it possible to over grease the clutch?

As an aside, I also noticed that there was no side-to-side play in the lead screw tie-rod, as there should be.

I will defer to the CW techs for the real answer but I do not think over lubing the clutch is an issue. So were you able to get your head pressure up to normal range?

MRcarvey
12-03-2017, 09:55 AM
Doing all of the clean, lube, post align, I got it from 62 to 68. It seems like the up/down movement is smooth and easy. Maybe there are no spacers on the crank handle.?. Does LHR sell them?

Mugsowner
12-04-2017, 06:19 AM
I think the washers/spacers are just 1/2" round shims sold in a range of sizes.