PDA

View Full Version : designer stopped working

JDPratt
11-20-2016, 02:58 PM
Running Designer 1.187. When I try to open I get "Files required for Carvewright designer have been moved or are missing. Please reinstall" I was using the software on Friday and it worked fine.

I can run the program by right clicking and running as administrator but there has to be a better fix than that. If I delete the program from my computer and reinstall, will I lose all my favorites?

I am also having difficulty when I try to import an image file. when I try to "finish" to save the image to favorites, it opens another screen which is blank every and doesn't allow me to select location or file name.

I have seen others who have had previous issues with the first problem, but as of yet have not seen any real solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

cestout
11-20-2016, 06:56 PM
I thin it has to do with the anniversary updated of ?Win 10. Connie had me install it straight to the C drive - not /programs x86 whatever. I have 1.187, 2 and 3 all installed and it happened with all three.
Clint

JDPratt
11-21-2016, 08:25 AM
Thanks, I am using windows 10 (have been for sometime). Now for someone who is as tech ignorant as myself, how do I go about installing straight to the C drive and not the program files? do I need to delete the old 1.187 from the program files? If I do, will I lose my favorites?

bergerud
11-21-2016, 12:08 PM
Are you able to look at the CW files in the program files directory? Just going and having a look at the files might allow you change the ownership.

lynnfrwd
11-21-2016, 12:26 PM
With newer versions of Windows, you have to use the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR command in order for the files to go into the correct location.

You can copy your favorites.mpn file, but DO NOT TRY TO OPEN IT!!

bergerud
11-21-2016, 02:26 PM
He said it was working and then stopped. It seems to me that the ownership of some files has changed.

lynnfrwd
11-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Well, then my next advise would be don't use Internet Explorer or Edge. Use Chrome or Firefox.

JD, I can deactivate the old registration, if you will tell me which computer. Something may have changed your computer ID.

JDPratt
11-22-2016, 03:52 PM
Ok, my laptop just did a self update and now opening carvewright is not a problem. It opens fine double clicking the desktop icon or the quick start icon. I have no idea what it did to fix it (I'm rather tech ignorant). However, I am still having the problem with trying to upload an image file. When I go to finish the screen goes blank and I cannot save that image to my favorites. The images I am trying to upload/import are reworked .png files. I will try to upload pics of what it is doing.

bergerud
11-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Ok, my laptop just did a self update and now opening carvewright is not a problem. It opens fine double clicking the desktop icon or the quick start icon. I have no idea what it did to fix it (I'm rather tech ignorant). However, I am still having the problem with trying to upload an image file. When I go to finish the screen goes blank and I cannot save that image to my favorites. The images I am trying to upload/import are reworked .png files. I will try to upload pics of what it is doing.

Ok, that could be bad. I had that problem and my favorites file was corrupted. Luckily for me, I had recently backed it up.

As a test, you can rename the favorites file. When Designer starts, it will then create a new (empty) favorites file. If your patterns now save, then something is amiss with the old favorites file.

JDPratt
11-22-2016, 08:36 PM
I guess I am unable to upload a video. Here is a rather simple description of the problem. clicked on import image, from file, double clicked image, click next, bring into viewer, got to finish, and it disappears into another window which is blank. You can see the double windows at the bottom when this occurs. The only thing I can do at that point is close both windows. Here are a couple screen shots. Remember, I'm tech stupid so please talk slow and I can probably explain it better than take pics of it. I am still able to open my favorites and use old patterns in projects without issue.

fwharris
11-22-2016, 09:01 PM
And the pattern does not show up in your pattern list?

How many patterns do you already have in your favorites list? Having a large number can slow down and even cause designer to crash sometimes.

What settings do you have for the 3D graphics? Found from "edit/preferences"...

JDPratt
11-23-2016, 01:14 PM
My 3D graphics settings are the same as yours. I don't think I have an inordinate amount of patterns compared to what some of you must have on your computers. One thing I have noticed is that I have 4 favorites files that are the same and 2 basic files that are the same. this is probably from when I had to reload the program and it copied the old stuff two (I don't know though). how would I delete redundant favorites files? Could that be the issue with trying to import new images?

edit: yes I realize the pic is a picture of the computer screen. I'm working on two different computers and that was easier since the CW computer is not currently hooked up to the internet.

fwharris
11-23-2016, 03:48 PM
My 3D graphics settings are the same as yours. I don't think I have an inordinate amount of patterns compared to what some of you must have on your computers. One thing I have noticed is that I have 4 favorites files that are the same and 2 basic files that are the same. this is probably from when I had to reload the program and it copied the old stuff two (I don't know though). how would I delete redundant favorites files? Could that be the issue with trying to import new images?

edit: yes I realize the pic is a picture of the computer screen. I'm working on two different computers and that was easier since the CW computer is not currently hooked up to the internet.

The 4 favorites and 2 basic files could/might be your problem. Most times the duplicates are created when you have double clicked (this should not be done) on a file with the .mpn extension. The only way to remove them is to go into the CarveWright folder they are in and delete them.

C:\Users\YOURNAME\CarveWright This is the document folder for window systems that contains your CarveWright files that load up into the software when you start it. You should see several favorite files there. Delete the ones with numbers.

bergerud
11-23-2016, 04:35 PM
Delete the ones with numbers.

I would not delete them right away. You may have a corrupted favorites file and one of the others may save you. Cut and paste (ie. move) the extra files to a different subdir like My Documents. (Do delete the extra basic one.)

fwharris
11-23-2016, 04:52 PM
I would not delete them right away. You may have a corrupted favorites file and one of the others may save you. Cut and paste (ie. move) the extra files to a different subdir like My Documents. (Do delete the extra basic one.)

Great point...

JDPratt
11-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks, I will give it a try. I will report back with results.

JDPratt
11-25-2016, 01:29 PM
I removed the extra Favorites files from C/users/John/Carvewright folder and segragated them into a separate folder and that seemed to solve the problem. I can now import and save images into my favorites. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

fwharris
11-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Glad that fixed you up.. Happy designing and carving.