PDA

View Full Version : MPC cutting to deep

want2b
11-19-2016, 12:46 PM
Making a sign with lettering and a graphic. Made a pattern from an imported PNG pic for the graphic part. The rest is just text.
Board measures 1/4 in. thick by 48 in long by 11 7/8 in wide. Is attached to a sled that is 1/2 in. thick by 56 in long by 11 7/8 in wide with 1/4 in. by 4 in by 11 7/8 in fillers at the ends.
The carve immediately went through the board and has gone into the sled by what looks to be 1/16 in. I can't seem to figure out what I've done wrong. Appreciate any help. MPC & pic attached.
Verified the bit is tight in the chuck, also had noticed there was no 'draft' on the edge of the cutting while the MPC shows 1/4 in. Also the cut out area doesn't seem to match the design of the pattern, appears way to rounded to me.
Thx,
Rick H

bergerud
11-19-2016, 03:40 PM
That just does not make any sense. Could it be the wrong mpc? Two versions or a different mpc? I would reformat and upload it again and then test on some scrap.

DianMayfield
11-19-2016, 04:23 PM
I can tell you when it happened to me... I was carving a "thumb" pull on a pie box lid in 1/4 in birch ply. I had waste 1/4 inch material at the edges of the box lid for the 3.5in excess. The box lid had a slightly rounded corner... so there was this minute gap between the corner and the waste. That's where the surface touch happened, and I wasn't watching. But there was a nice puncture in the tape!

Something to look at :)

fwharris
11-19-2016, 04:50 PM
It should have no effect but your project board thickness in designer is .750".

Did the bit touch good on the bit plate and the board surface? Any unusual messages at the machine during the start up routine?

want2b
11-19-2016, 06:49 PM
I actually watched all the bit touch operations and all was well. I use the jog to touch on every project just so I don't forget on a lot of sled projects. No unusual or error messages.
I decided to start from scratch and formatted the card. Reloaded the same board and the newly loaded card and watched it again and all went well. Go figure. As we used to say when a problem disappeared, PFM. Have set up a new board and see what happens. Will post results, carve in progress.
Thanks for you responses, does give me somethings to watch out for.
Thx, Rick H

SteveNelson46
11-19-2016, 08:51 PM
If this is what you were going for, I just inverted the text. It should carve okay.

henry1
11-20-2016, 04:45 AM
Mabe this you might like with center line