PDA

View Full Version : Kingsville plaques

DianMayfield
11-16-2016, 05:52 PM
My best friend moved back towards TX after 25 years. His last visit home to Houston, he brought me back some mesquite logs. He organizes the Kingsville Dutch Oven contest. For the past three years, I have carved his trophies out of oak. This year I decided to use his mesquite. With the strong grain pattern, it is hard to see there are flames in TX (dry brushed some bronze, but didn't help much). Had to use epoxy on the back, as there were some cracks.

Oh, and if you aren't using the sanding mops.. (shaking my head)... saved me hours of hand sanding! Can't believe I hadn't opened them in 3 years!

oscarl48
11-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Really beautiful plaques. Nicely done on all of it.

It does help it has Texas on there. It adds that little extra special. ;)

want2b
11-16-2016, 06:39 PM
Great job on all of them, can't remember ever seeing anything done in mesquite. It does have a beautiful grain, shame it's not more available. Guess that's due to the size and availability for harvest. I'm sure the plaques were greatly appreciated.
Rick H

DianMayfield
11-16-2016, 06:48 PM
Thank you! They were looking pretty boring before I put the acrylic on them, then they just popped! Hubbie cut them with his chain saw, then we planed them. Came out so much better than I had hoped.

DianMayfield
11-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Oscar, My friend would certainly agree! He had been away for over 35 years, even following us up to Idaho 12 years ago. But Texas was always nearest/dearest. At 70, he decided it would be best to get closer to family and he moved to Lafayette. A bit more affordable than Houston, but certainly close enough for frequent visits. We sure miss him (or maybe it's the waxing at poker we really miss!)

rcdages
11-17-2016, 07:21 AM
Very very well carved and finished.
Outstanding my fellow carver !!!!!!!

myshop1044
11-17-2016, 07:39 AM
what is the font name for text Kingsville ?

DianMayfield
11-17-2016, 08:27 AM
The font is Pointedly Mad. If you can't find it, send me a PM and I'll send it over.

SteveNelson46
11-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Dian,

Carving on a surface that is not square and level (natural edge) is not an easy thing to do on the Carvewright. You did an outstanding job.

normrichards
11-17-2016, 01:09 PM
those are really beautiful plaques.

DianMayfield
11-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Thanks Steve, Norm and Robert! It's my first project post, as you all do such beautiful work that it's a bit intimidating!

For those that are interested in the sled process:

Hubbie made an mdf base/pine sidewall sled.
Two of the disks were 1.75", and the third was 1/8 inch less. He cut the side walls to match the thinnest. Then we used craft sticks taped to the side walls for the thicker ones (those the size of tongue depressors) to bring it level.
We used carpet tape (1.5" fabric stuff), 2 strips the width of the disks to hold them in place. Interesting stuff, the disks were easy to pull up, but you could not push them side to side to save your life.
Just to be safe (and so we didn't have to plane another one :)), we put 1/2" screws at four spots in the mdf around the disks to stop them from shifting.
It was the first time I had used to "Jog to Center", but we trimmed my pine test carve to the shape of the carve, and located/marked the "center" of the disk.
Heaven help us, it all worked the first time!

dbemus
11-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Diane,

Thank you for the clearly detailed sled process. It will be very helpful to many contemplating similar situations. I have some walnut slices that I will be doing a project with soon. Your awards are beautiful!!!