PDA

View Full Version : New Dust Collection System?

normrichards
11-13-2016, 06:24 PM
I just noticed that Rockler is selling a different Dust Collector for the Carvewright than what has historically been available ( ring neck blues and dust devil) I also looked on LHR website and found that the Dust Devil is no longer for sale. It looks like Carvewright finally decided to make their own dust insert but for some reason is only selling them on Rockler at least for now. The cost is $49.99 and the design is more like the dust devil than the Ring Neck Blues and its all plastic.

http://www.rockler.com/dust-hood-for-carvewright-cx-cnc-system

fwharris
11-13-2016, 07:09 PM
They are stocking the Rockler stores first and when they get their new shipment in it will be available in their store.

You will notice it has a 2 1/2" hose hook up versus the 4" hose hook up.

normrichards
11-13-2016, 09:22 PM
Interesting, I had someone ask me about the carvetight chuck and its not on the site either (only the send the machine option) so I guess they are waiting for stock on those also. I was trying to get a price for him and if he bought it I was going to install it for him.

normrichards
11-13-2016, 09:23 PM
They are stocking the Rockler stores first and when they get their new shipment in it will be available in their store.

I hope this does not hurt your sales. I think you have a great product.

fwharris
11-13-2016, 10:24 PM
I hope this does not hurt your sales. I think you have a great product.

Norm,

Thanks for the feedback. I am guessing it will slow down some of my sales. I still stand by my claim that it is the best on the market and that it JUST SUCKS! ;)

fwharris
11-13-2016, 10:25 PM
Interesting, I had someone ask me about the carvetight chuck and its not on the site either (only the send the machine option) so I guess they are waiting for stock on those also. I was trying to get a price for him and if he bought it I was going to install it for him.

That is correct ..

SteveNelson46
11-14-2016, 10:24 AM

I saw this DC adapter on Rockler a week or so ago. I own both RingNeckBlues and the Dust devil and , IMHO, Floyd's works the best and is the easiest to use. Since Floyd's works so well I had decided to wait an see what the reviews on this new one would be but, after giving it a second thought, I went ahead and purchased it. It came in the mail a couple of days ago but I haven't had a chance mount it on the machine and test it yet. BTW, the info on the web is incorrect. Mine came with a 4" adapter. If you plan to attach a 4" hose with a clamp it should work great but the standard 4" DC fittings and couplings don't seem to fit very well and they fit perfectly on Floyd's. I guess the "work-around" would be to use a short section of 4" hose as an adapter. More testing later.

normrichards
11-14-2016, 10:51 AM
I saw this DC adapter on Rockler a week or so ago. I own both RingNeckBlues and the Dust devil and , IMHO, Floyd's works the best and is the easiest to use. Since Floyd's works so well I had decided to wait an see what the reviews on this new one would be but, after giving it a second thought, I went ahead and purchased it. It came in the mail a couple of days ago but I haven't had a chance mount it on the machine and test it yet. BTW, the info on the web is incorrect. Mine came with a 4" adapter. If you plan to attach a 4" hose with a clamp it should work great but the standard 4" DC fittings and couplings don't seem to fit very well and they fit perfectly on Floyd's. I guess the "work-around" would be to use a short section of 4" hose as an adapter. More testing later. How many machines do you own? Or do you just like trying them all out? I have the Dust Devil but only because it came with my CW when my son in law bought it used. It works and I don't have anything else to compare it too. I have noticed over the years that floyds seems to be raved about. It is interesting to me that many of the innovations over the years started with customers building on to their CW. The chuck, the dust collection, the light inside, etc.

SteveNelson46
11-14-2016, 11:09 AM
How many machines do you own? Or do you just like trying them all out? I have the Dust Devil but only because it came with my CW when my son in law bought it used. It works and I don't have anything else to compare it too. I have noticed over the years that floyds seems to be raved about. It is interesting to me that many of the innovations over the years started with customers building on to their CW. The chuck, the dust collection, the light inside, etc.

I only have one working machine but probably have enough spare parts to construct another one. I have been using Floyd's DC adapter since he first started making them. Later on, when the Dust Devil came out, I thought it looked pretty cool and was curious about how it worked so I bought it. It worked pretty good but my main complaint was the location of the port. It interfered with the operation of the lid when the hose was attached and got in the way when changing bits. I re-installed Floyd's and have been using it ever since. I do some consulting and repair work on the machines and when someone doesn't have a DC adapter the Dust Devil is my loaner.

This new one looks promising. Overall it's about the same size as Floyd's and the dust port is off to the side. All three are similar in design in that they all have reduced the intake to a narrow slot due to the design of the machine. This reduces the volume of air so the larger dust collectors work better. If you have a 1500 cfm DC and could actually move 1500 cfm through the machine there would not be ANY dust or chips left. I think the idea is to collect the fine particles of sawdust that are harmful so all three are what they call GE (good enough).

DianMayfield
11-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Steve,

Curious as to how you seal the crimped opening? I find that I am getting a fair bit of vacuum leakage, so I have defaulted to fighting the bit change situation.

Thanks,
Dian

fwharris
11-14-2016, 11:18 AM
I saw this DC adapter on Rockler a week or so ago. I own both RingNeckBlues and the Dust devil and , IMHO, Floyd's works the best and is the easiest to use. Since Floyd's works so well I had decided to wait an see what the reviews on this new one would be but, after giving it a second thought, I went ahead and purchased it. It came in the mail a couple of days ago but I haven't had a chance mount it on the machine and test it yet. BTW, the info on the web is incorrect. Mine came with a 4" adapter. If you plan to attach a 4" hose with a clamp it should work great but the standard 4" DC fittings and couplings don't seem to fit very well and they fit perfectly on Floyd's. I guess the "work-around" would be to use a short section of 4" hose as an adapter. More testing later.

So you are saying the product description is incorrect?

SteveNelson46
11-14-2016, 11:46 AM
So you are saying the product description is incorrect?

It is indeed, unless they offer two different sizes. Mine has a 4" port. I thought that in a pinch I could use it with my Fein vacuum but was surprised when it arrived in the mail. I called Rockler just a few minutes ago and they said they would look into it.

bergerud
11-14-2016, 11:52 AM
I also asked the question as I was checking to see if the free shipping from Rockler might also apply to Canada. Not.

SteveNelson46
11-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Steve,

Curious as to how you seal the crimped opening? I find that I am getting a fair bit of vacuum leakage, so I have defaulted to fighting the bit change situation.

Thanks,
Dian

Dian,

I use a quick DC disconnect that fits fairly snug. Even with a wire tucked inside for a ground. The Dust Devil has a lot of vacuum leakage around the open ends that I plugged with custom made wooden blocks. Unless you have done something similar, it will leak a lot more than the crimped edges on the RingNeckBlues.

DianMayfield
11-14-2016, 12:55 PM
LOL, the DD has a lot of duct tape and window seal foam! But, since the DC adapter is the only thing that comes off, the seal is pretty good.

Window foam just doesn't work on the other, and taping is a pain when you want to be able to shift to another tool fairly frequently. The DC adapter leaves about 1.5 inches of the crimping exposed. Perhaps I can find one that is rubberized, like plumbing fittings.

Thanks for the quick response!

SteveNelson46
11-14-2016, 01:34 PM
LOL, the DD has a lot of duct tape and window seal foam! But, since the DC adapter is the only thing that comes off, the seal is pretty good.

Window foam just doesn't work on the other, and taping is a pain when you want to be able to shift to another tool fairly frequently. The DC adapter leaves about 1.5 inches of the crimping exposed. Perhaps I can find one that is rubberized, like plumbing fittings.

Thanks for the quick response!

Dian,

I really think the leakage is minimal. However, you could use a pair of tin snips to trim off a little of the crimping. Then, put 2 or 3 cuts an inch or so past the crimping for adjustment. You could also use a short section of 4" hose and just put a strip of duct tape around the joint and a quick disconnect on the other end.

Maybe you are a candidate for the the new adapter. It is in two pieces and just snaps together so the inner section can be removed easily. I'll post more when its installed and tested.

Digitalwoodshop
11-14-2016, 02:28 PM
In the early years 2007 I made a collector from copper circuit board material. I cut a slot in the bottom to rest over the knife edge of the frame and sealed it with weather seal. Over the years the effectiveness of the dust collection was cut by leaks in the slot I cut in the bottom to fit over the knife edge. I bought a RingNeck Collector and in my opinion I got a 75% improvement from my slotted version. Thumbs up for the RingNeck Version.

AL

CarverJerry
11-22-2016, 12:09 PM
I got an email from Carvewright for the sale of the new dust collector. I have the Ring Neck Blues system on my machine which does a nice job. I like the new idea where it comes apart but would like to know how that is going to hold up over time. Keep us posted how this works out.

jamescwatts
11-22-2016, 01:12 PM
I've yet to install my RNB DC. Does anyone have any idea if the new hood would accommodate the RNB? I am loathe to cut my brandy new hood. Thanks, -Jim

lynnfrwd
11-22-2016, 01:42 PM
I've yet to install my RNB DC. Does anyone have any idea if the new hood would accommodate the RNB? I am loathe to cut my brandy new hood. Thanks, -Jim

The RNB insert serves the same purpose as the CW dust hood. Go ahead and cut that cover. It is much better to cut the cover and use the insert. The pre-cut cover will accommodate the RNB.

bergerud
11-22-2016, 02:28 PM
Is the "pre-cut" cover just a pre-cut original cover or is it a new molded cover?

lynnfrwd
11-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Is the "pre-cut" cover just a pre-cut original cover or is it a new molded cover?

All of our new covers are coming this way from the factory now. It will be standard on all machines.

Joe is verifying what I posted about working with RNB & EDD. He said he doesn't see any reason why they wouldn't, but is going now to find out for sure.

lynnfrwd
11-22-2016, 02:54 PM
OK...here's the skinny on the pre-cut hood.

It works on our dust hood and RNB newer version.

It is cut 2" and too short for RNB original version and Erwin's Dust Devil.

fwharris
11-22-2016, 02:58 PM
All of our new covers are coming this way from the factory now. It will be standard on all machines.

Joe is verifying what I posted about working with RNB & EDD. He said he doesn't see any reason why they wouldn't, but is going now to find out for sure.

My best guess would be that the cover might need to be trimmed a little more as the current version of the DC-INSERT is a bit thicker/taller than the CW dust hood at that area. The older style was approximately 1" and current version is approximately 2"..

lynnfrwd
11-22-2016, 03:32 PM
My best guess would be that the cover might need to be trimmed a little more as the current version of the DC-INSERT is a bit thicker/taller than the CW dust hood at that area. The older style was approximately 1" and current version is approximately 2"..

Uuugghhhh!

lynnfrwd
11-22-2016, 03:40 PM
All right...here is the description for the Pre-cut Clear Cover...

Pre-Cut clear front cover for accommodating CW Dust Collection Hood.

It is cut 2" and may be too short for the Erwin's Dust Devil. It can be used with the Ringneck Blues DC Insert, but you may need to add the tab extensions if vibration of the lid causes stalls.

fwharris
11-22-2016, 04:09 PM
All right...here is the description for the Pre-cut Clear Cover...

Pre-Cut clear front cover for accommodating CW Dust Collection Hood.

It is cut 2" and may be too short for the Erwin's Dust Devil. It can be used with the Ringneck Blues DC Insert, but you may need to add the tab extensions if vibration of the lid causes stalls.

That or just trim the cover a little more to make good clearance between the cover and the DC-INSERT..

SteveNelson46
11-22-2016, 05:33 PM
This is a pic of the CW Dust Hood on my machine. I did not have to do any additional modifications to the cover. Maybe it was just luck or when I trimmed the cover for the the RNB I trimmed it just a little too much but it fit perfectly. The flange on the end is an adapter that is screwed to the dust hood. It's really made for a flush mount but it was the only thing I had on hand.

rcdages
11-28-2016, 10:34 AM
How is the pick up on the dust ???

SteveNelson46
11-28-2016, 11:47 AM
How is the pick up on the dust ???

I've only used it once so I can't really give a fair evaluation. The intake port is about as big as the machine will allow and has good air flow. The intake port of the RNB (original version) is more directed downward towards the board and moves the air a little differently. My first impression is good. They both do a good job and most everyone would be happy with the performance of either one.

Mugsowner
11-28-2016, 07:38 PM
Well I just ordered both the pre-cut door and new dust collector. After I get them and install I can let everyone know what I think.

roughcut
12-10-2016, 08:08 AM
Has the dust collector from Carve wright shipped yet I preordered one but I haven't heard if it was shipped

Mugsowner
12-13-2016, 08:21 PM
I got an email today that my order shipped

Mugsowner
12-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Just checked the tracking and it seems it shipped out yesterday and I should have it tomorrow sometime.

lynnfrwd
12-14-2016, 09:31 AM
All Dust Hoods on Backorder should ship by end of day, today. You should receive your tracking number today, if it shipped yesterday and tomorrow, if it ships today.

Mugsowner
12-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Well everything showed up yesterday. I mounted the new cover with was easy enough with a size 0 Phillips head screwdriver. Four small screws holding down two clamps. Now the dust collector on the other hand you will need to prep for. They do not include any mounting hardware, so you are on your own there, even thou they must have figured it out to mount the ones in the pictures. I think it will mount to the two tapped holes that are in the machine already, they seem very close. Today i pick up some m5 screws, but that was not what I needed, so tomorrow I will pick up some m4 screws. They look like they will need to be 25 or 30mm long. I am thinking that they are metric tapped holes considering everything else is tapped metric.

fwharris
12-15-2016, 08:58 PM
Well everything showed up yesterday. I mounted the new cover with was easy enough with a size 0 Phillips head screwdriver. Four small screws holding down two clamps. Now the dust collector on the other hand you will need to prep for. They do not include any mounting hardware, so you are on your own there, even thou they must have figured it out to mount the ones in the pictures. I think it will mount to the two tapped holes that are in the machine already, they seem very close. Today i pick up some m5 screws, but that was not what I needed, so tomorrow I will pick up some m4 screws. They look like they will need to be 25 or 30mm long. I am thinking that they are metric tapped holes considering everything else is tapped metric.

Yes the tapped holes are 4mm. I use hex headed screws.

SteveNelson46
12-16-2016, 10:38 AM

There should have been screws that came with it. Mine did!

Mugsowner
12-18-2016, 08:27 AM
I went back and rechecked the package the collector and the parts gods did not shine on me. I ended up using M4 -.07 x 25mm socket head cap screws, as I have hex wenches in my carvewright tool kit. I also used a heavy flat washer, so I can spread out the tightening torque across the plastic housing without cracking plastic or caving in the washers. If they did ship me the hardware I would think they would have taken care of them as they did the brushes I ordered with them, which were in a plastic bag, stapled to the invoice, so they would not get lost in the larger box with crumpled paper buffers. So if the parts gods do not shine on you, the M4 x 25mm screws are what you will need.

Mugsowner
01-01-2017, 07:50 AM
Well it took me a bit to get back to this. The collector mounts nicely in the predrilled and tapped holes the machines come with ( I mounted mine a an A model machine, so the holes have been there for a while). If missing the mounting screws, they are M4-0.7x25mm, I used socket head screws that require a 3mm hex wrench to tighten them. The port is 4". There seems to be enough room to work with the bits and chuck easily. I have larger hands and this is a big deal to me. I had one collector that I had to remove to work with the tooling, which is a hassle every time, was not a fan of that design. As far as ability to get the job done this unit seems to fill the bill. I have been working with Lexan as of late and being plastic is attracted to everything. This unit cleaned the surface very well with little to no particles left behind. I liked the results. The Precut cover went on very easily with a #1 Philips head screwdriver. There are 4 screws that hold the 2 rod caps on the ends. The fit was awesome, all switches get made and sits nice on the collector with very little gap. I would think that this will be Carvewright's next addition to new machines, being how important dust collection is to the survival of these beasts. I would recommend these two components, as they are easy to mount and use, and work well.

Hope the New Year Treats everyone well