PDA

View Full Version : Mike's Gallery Thread

Mike
03-23-2007, 12:29 PM
O.K. I've waited long enough. It is time for me to put up but not shut up.

This first one is 19 inches tall and 11 inches wide. I combined Ted Grinnells Boat wheel with Autobodys anchor. The wood is poplar and carves really nice. I carved the names inward for added dimension. Thanks to everybody who shares their designs in the gallery.

Mike
03-23-2007, 12:39 PM
This is one that I made for my daughters bedroom door. It's only 12 inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide. The picture turned out pretty good for such a small piece. The wood is cedar.

Mike
03-23-2007, 12:46 PM
This one Is a sign that I made for a friend of mine who lives just south of the Michigan border one of those four letter word states. It is for his home bar. Thanks to Jeff Birt for the bark design. You can see where I was to cheap to keep the project under the rollers. After all It is going to an anti U of M fan!! LOL!!

Mike
03-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks to Shaddy for the Harley design. It is awesome. This is 11 inches wide by 24 inches long. Made of clear pine.

Mike
03-23-2007, 12:58 PM
I've learned alot since this one. Red Oak. 9 x 11. I do much better than this. Will post some new ones soon.

Mike
03-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Here is my pride and joy! It is in red oak. not real clear unless your at the right angle but it is not too bad. 7 1/2 x 15 inches.

Mike
03-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks to Pkunk for the clock design. I have done quite a few lately. This is for my Buckeye buddy's bar. Cedar. 9 " round. Rope represents a snare trap.

Mike
03-23-2007, 02:29 PM
This is a picture of my mom and dad. This will go to my mom on Mothers day. 11 x 18 1/2. Clear Pine. The photograph of this doesn't do it justice. This really turned out nice. By far the best that I have done.

forqnc
03-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Very nice Mike. I especially like the added anchor to the Wheel, I've carved the wheel a couple of times.
The wait was worth it. I hope to get some finished products soon to post. :rolleyes:

rgant05
03-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Mike,

Good job. I'm especially interested in any blow by blow descriptions of how you manipulated or treated the photo prior to carving. I havn't been able to get any to turn out very good even in designer, and havn't tried carving any yet. I know one of the secrets (I think) is to turn down the height pretty low, but thats as far as I can make progress so far. (Haven't tried a lot of things but haven't been satisfied on what I have tried yet)

Roger

RC Woodworks
03-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Great design on all Mike! Don't ya just love what this machine can do? I picked up my 4th CC today but I am off to Reno Nev. for the weekend so I will see if the 4th will be the charm on Monday!

I was shocked but not surprised to see made in China on the box. I thought well hoped they were made by CW in Texas in the good ol USA. No wonder the beta testers have fewer problems their CC were made in the US!

Keep up the good work and may your machine live long and prosper!

rgant05
03-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Thats the whole problem that they are having, which is understandable if you have ever put a product into production. The beta machines were all hand made according to specs and the original design. Now WE are dealing with the first runs of production in a foreign country which can go anywhere from a smooth to a rough transition. Once they get all the issues identified and worked out, I am confident the machine will perform quite well. The question is: can customers last long enough to get their bugs worked out. That is one reason I don't want a new machine that I will have to go through all these issue over and over again. I would rather keep working the bugs out rather than getting a new box of bugs each time. Thats just my thought. May or may not be right, but I have been buying tools and technology a long time and seen a great deal to build an opinion on. (As well as having put products into production also)

pkunk
03-23-2007, 06:15 PM
The beta machines were all hand made according to specs and the original design.
What makes you say that? If so, why was my box made of cheap puffy asian cardboard w/ made in China on the side. From Jan/Feb. '06 production? I've probably replaced more parts, had more down time than any of you Compucarve users. It's hand made alright, by me!

Mike
03-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey!! I thought this was MY gallery!! LOL!!

Mike
03-23-2007, 06:48 PM
This also is not one of my best but for some reason my wife likes it. Oh Gawsh!! It must be ME!! Made of maple. 9 1/2 x 14. Stained (I won't do that again) Minwax Ipswitch Pine. Credit to my son for taking picture on the Polish Submarine.

Mike
03-23-2007, 06:57 PM
By the way!! We are taking a machine made in another country and becoming American manufacturers. My products are made in the U.S.A. Except for my neighbors from the Great White North!!

Mike
03-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I think this is a little better photo of my picture carving. I'll post it anyways.

rgant05
03-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Sorry Mike,

I guess I didn't really invision my comments based on my experiences deteriorating into an argument.... didn't mean to detract form your work. It is really good work and I enjoy seeing the finished products. Really shows the possibilities of the machine and the capabilities and invisionment of the users. Thanks again for sharing with us.

Roger

Mike
03-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Hey don't worry about it. I will be posting more in this thread soon. Mike

RC Woodworks
03-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Roger, I was wrong the beta machines came from China too. What I did learn today from Chris Rawls was these beta machine were sent to CW first. Then the tech took the machine completely apart and inspected it and put it back together. Then they sent them to the beta tester.

With all the problems with the first productions I am sure pkunk has rebuilt his machine! I have been through 3 CC and on my 4th but I have never replaced any parts just the units!

Oh and Mike your gallery is very nice now you need to share your files!

Rick

Mike
03-29-2007, 11:26 AM
This was kind of my wifes idea. After cutting out several sets of shelf brackets, The idea came up to use the waste wood. My wife is going to try to sell these this weekend at a craft show.

Mike
03-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Heres another clock that I just finished. Pine. 9".

ljdm
04-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Want to share any tips, techniques you used to get the results from a photo?