PDA

View Full Version : Carving moving to the right 1 1/2"

sunmiztres
10-28-2016, 01:52 PM
I am having a problem that I can't figure out. I have tried 3 times. When carving it starts out fine but at about 10% through the carving the entire project moves to the right 1 1/2". I have cleaned the machine thoroughly. unplugged everything and blew them out. Cleaned the y motor, z motor. Restarted the project and the same thing happens. I have included a picture. You can see on the UCB where the carving carved into the UCB on the previous carve. Please let me know if you have any ideas what the problem is. The carve moves at the exact same place every time.
Thank you

SteveNelson46
10-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Heather,

It looks like the "jump" is right at the top edge of your pattern (amme). Try reducing the pattern to fit the carve region. In the example I also removed the merges and set the draft on the text to medium.

sunmiztres
10-28-2016, 02:17 PM
Thanks for looking at the post. I clipped the carving so the carving would be within the frame. Why would it move the entire carving right 1 1/2". I never had this happen before and made the MPC the same? The board is 1/2" longer on all 4 sides than the MPC calls for. The carving actually carved off the wood onto the sides of the UCB and then some. The MPC calls for a 13" long by 11" wide board but the carving is only 12" long by 10" wide. Any ideas?

Heather,

It looks like the "jump" is right at the top edge of your pattern (amme). Try reducing the pattern to fit the carve region. In the example I also removed the merges and set the draft on the text to medium.

bergerud
10-28-2016, 02:58 PM
That makes no sense to me at all. Since I cannot see any reason why it would do that, I think it must be some sort of bug to do with having the pattern off of the board. I will play with it when I get home. (Maybe you could remake the pattern cropped and see what happens.)

sunmiztres
10-28-2016, 03:33 PM
That makes no sense to me at all. Since I cannot see any reason why it would do that, I think it must be some sort of bug to do with having the pattern off of the board. I will play with it when I get home. (Maybe you could remake the pattern cropped and see what happens.)

With the pattern of the people, I always remove the background and like to have the people higher than the board so I butt the people pattern all the way to the insides of the recessed area so you don't see the sides of the pattern. I then use the clip carving to clip it to the recessed areas. Never had anything like this happen before. When you say crop the pattern are you meaning make the pattern of the people smaller than the recessed area so there is no need to clip the carving? Thanks

bergerud
10-28-2016, 04:14 PM
With the pattern of the people, I always remove the background and like to have the people higher than the board so I butt the people pattern all the way to the insides of the recessed area so you don't see the sides of the pattern. I then use the clip carving to clip it to the recessed areas. Never had anything like this happen before. When you say crop the pattern are you meaning make the pattern of the people smaller than the recessed area so there is no need to clip the carving? Thanks

No, I just wanted the pattern to be on the board. Put the pattern on a board the size you want the pattern to be and remake the pattern. It will be cropped using the board edges. I was wondering whether having the pattern off the board is related to the problem.

SteveNelson46
10-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Thanks for looking at the post. I clipped the carving so the carving would be within the frame. Why would it move the entire carving right 1 1/2". I never had this happen before and made the MPC the same? The board is 1/2" longer on all 4 sides than the MPC calls for. The carving actually carved off the wood onto the sides of the UCB and then some. The MPC calls for a 13" long by 11" wide board but the carving is only 12" long by 10" wide. Any ideas?

I don't think it moved anything. It looks like the machine tried to carve the pattern beyond the edge of the board. Dan could be right about a bug but there have been a lot of people carving signs that are larger than the width capacity of the machine using that technique. I'm not really sure what is going on. You could also try reformatting and re-flashing the data card.

sunmiztres
10-28-2016, 06:16 PM
I don't think it moved anything. It looks like the machine tried to carve the pattern beyond the edge of the board. Dan could be right about a bug but there have been a lot of people carving signs that are larger than the width capacity of the machine using that technique. I'm not really sure what is going on. You could also try reformatting and re-flashing the data card.

If you look at the picture the entire carving area moved up about an inch. It wasn't just where the carving of the cropped picture was. It's like the machine thought the edge of the carving was 1 1/2" from the edge of the board rather than 1/2". See picture I tried to explain it better.

bergerud
10-28-2016, 06:57 PM
I was thinking that the pattern being off the board and clipped might be the cause of the bug. I will try the mpc on my machine.

Reformatting the card is a good idea. This could easily be a corrupt file issue.

sunmiztres
10-28-2016, 07:19 PM
I went ahead and tried a different MPC and it began to carve correctly but then after 3 passes the entire pattern shifted to the left by 1". The bottom started 1" higher which made the top of the carve come through the UCB and off the side of the board. The same as the other MPC but just much quicker this time. Any thoughts? I am thinking it is the machine and not the software. To me, it is like the y motor loses track of where the start carve is. When this first happened I Took off the motor as well as the z motor and made sure all was good and to my knowledge they looked good.

bergerud
10-28-2016, 08:00 PM
I just gave your mpc a try. Went to 12% without a problem. Should have checked the forum first!

If you think it is the machine, and it sounds like it is, either the y belt or the y encoder would be first on the list.

But, do re-format and re-flash the card first. It still maybe bad firmware.

sunmiztres
10-28-2016, 09:17 PM
I just gave your mpc a try. Went to 12% without a problem. Should have checked the forum first!

If you think it is the machine, and it sounds like it is, either the y belt or the y encoder would be first on the list.

But, do re-format and re-flash the card first. It still maybe bad firmware.

I personally thought it was the machine before the software that is why I cleaned it thoroughly. I did take off the y encoder and checked it, blew it out, made sure the disk was not bad. The y belt does seem a little loose. Loosened the screw to tighten the belt but it did not get much tighter. The belt looks fine.

I have another machine with a y encoder and an extra belt, guess I will replace them both and see what happens. With the encoder and the belt having less than 250 hours, I wouldn't think they would need to be replaced.

universal-sasquatch
10-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Mine lost it's mind a while back and started cutting through and jumping around. I finally found a nick in the bottom of the FFC ribbon, replaced it and it worked fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2016, 03:07 PM
Two thoughts.... Y Gearbox Bearings and also a dull carving bit considering you are using Oak... at least that is my initial take... For the pattern part, the experts are looking into that... It was the most likely as I went through the posts the first time. Time will tell on this one....

To troubleshoot, I would do a SMALL DEEP Carve Region rectangle in a scrap of OAK to take the pattern out of the equation.

AL

SteveNelson46
10-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Try the original project on a scrap piece of wood without the sled (UCB). You will have to add 7 inches to the length. It may not solve the problem but it eliminates one possibility..