PDA

View Full Version : Where did my patterns go?

universal-sasquatch
10-09-2016, 09:41 PM
All of my patterns have disappeared from the program.
Is there a way to recover them?
Of course I don't have a back up.
All of the mpw files seem to still be in the folders where I saved them.
I'm clueless.
Sas

fwharris
10-09-2016, 09:44 PM
You saying you lost your favorites list with in designer?

universal-sasquatch
10-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Yes, I made a new pattern and when I saved it, it went to favorites and all of the sub categories were not visible. When I opened the patterns tool in designer the only thing in favorites was what I just made. The Basics folder was there with all this patterns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fwharris
10-09-2016, 09:59 PM
Have you closed down designer and restarted it to see if that helped?

Have you been doing anything in the "CarveWright" folder that contains your favorites file?

universal-sasquatch
10-09-2016, 10:10 PM
Yes, I shut it down and restarted. I have not been in the folder. Tomorrow I have to leave for a week so I'll fool with the computer when I get back.
Thanks Floyd

bergerud
10-09-2016, 11:19 PM
It sounds like your favorites.mpn file may have been corrupted.

universal-sasquatch
10-10-2016, 08:53 AM
I had modified and saved one of the background texture files and it is gone too. My saved projects are still there with the patterns I had made and imported into them. I guess I can go through and it extract them. Anyone have an idea what could have caused this? The only thing "new" I have done with the software is to register a new machine, put the new card in the reader and check for firmware updates.

normrichards
10-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Windows 7 and above has a restore feature for folders, You can go to what ever folder the favorites is saved in, right click on the folder itself, not the file and you will get an option that says restore previous versions. Clicking on that will give you an option to go back to a date before it was corrupt. This feature can be turned off but most people do not know about it or turn it off. It can be a life saver.

universal-sasquatch
10-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Ok, cool. Does anyone know the default location of the favorites folder?

SteveNelson46
10-10-2016, 12:48 PM
It's "C:\users\Your User Name\CarveWright". The name of the file is "Favorites.mpn"

universal-sasquatch
10-10-2016, 01:01 PM
Thanks!

fwharris
10-10-2016, 01:27 PM
It's "C:\users\Your User Name\CarveWright". The name of the file is "Favorites.mpn"

Remember not to DOUBLE CLICK on it or will add a second listing to your pattern list.

universal-sasquatch
10-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Back home and on the computer. I was able to recover the patterns by going back to a restore point. Right clicking and selecting "open" will create a duplicate file also.
Thank you all for the help.
Martin

normrichards
10-20-2016, 01:33 PM
Im glad that worked for you, I have saved many a friend or client by showing them the restore on folders available in Windows 7 and higher.

normrichards
10-20-2016, 01:39 PM
P.S. If you have more than one favorites file with in the carvewright folder you will have major issues with designer. You can save duplicates or backups in another folder elsewhere but you can not have two in the designer folder.

lynnfrwd
10-20-2016, 02:05 PM
Normrichards is correct!

Never try to open the favorites.mpn file. Doing so will make them start multiplying like rabbits and that will slow down and start crashing your system. This file cannot be opened, edited or viewed at all. It is only view-able through the Designer Pattern Library.

bergerud
10-20-2016, 02:33 PM
This begs the question: Why have the software duplicate the file in the first place??

lynnfrwd
10-20-2016, 02:37 PM
This begs the question: Why have the software duplicate the file in the first place??

WE did not tell it to duplicate.

fwharris
10-20-2016, 04:47 PM

There probably is some kind of execution process built in for the .MPN extension as when you purchase a collection of patterns (they are also mpn files) you can install it just by double clicking it. It automatically installs the collection into the users CarveWright folder that also include the favorites file.

bergerud
10-20-2016, 05:46 PM
There probably is some kind of execution process built in for the .MPN extension as when you purchase a collection of patterns (they are also mpn files) you can install it just by double clicking it. It automatically installs the collection into the users CarveWright folder that also include the favorites file.

Yes, I get that. But why duplicate the file if it is already in the right subdirectory? The software knows it is in the right subdir (as it has to rename if it is) so why not just not bother?

I bet it is just an overlooked programming detail. Something else that could be fixed.

fwharris
10-20-2016, 07:15 PM
Yes, I get that. But why duplicate the file if it is already in the right subdirectory? The software knows it is in the right subdir (as it has to rename if it is) so why not just not bother?

I bet it is just an overlooked programming detail. Something else that could be fixed.

I agree! :) Something like "File already exists, do you want to overwrite it?"