PDA

View Full Version : Uneven carved area

Dale
10-05-2016, 10:40 PM
I have carved this design seven times now and every time I end up with the same problem Rectangle 2 ends up being about 1/16" deeper at the bottom (left side looking at Designer) than at the top. This would not be a problem except I have centerline text in that area. The text starts fine at the top but as it goes towards the bottom of the design the text gets lighter and lighter until at about the bottom third of the carved area the bit is not touching at all. My solution has been to create a second MPC with just Rectangle #2 set at a depth of .2 instead of .115 and the centerline text and recarve that area. This carves just fine, but adds 1.5 hours to my total carve time for the project.
The boards are not warped and are placed in the Universal Carrige Base. It is not my machine because I have done a test carve of two actual rectangles about the same size as my project and at the same depths (.40 and .115) and everything is even.

Does anyone have any ideas of why this is happening?

Sorry I removed the indian as I did not want that to show.

fwharris
10-05-2016, 10:52 PM
Are you sure you posted the right project. I do not see any text and you have the buffalo Indian half off the board with a 0 height.

Dale
10-05-2016, 11:26 PM
I removed the text as it is rather personel and the Indian pattern was not mine so I did not want that to show either, but it is where I want it to be, half in the rectangle carved area and half out. I had set the depth to 0 so no one could see it but forgot anyone could just change the depth and see it so I have removed that in the attached MPC also. Sorry for the confusion.

fwharris
10-05-2016, 11:49 PM
I see nothing in the design that would change the depths for either carve region. The only things I can think of would be the issue would be if you did not set "conform" for the centerline text and that your board slipped in the jig.

Could you post some pictures of the problem on the carve board?

Dale
10-05-2016, 11:56 PM
I'll be out of town for a few days but will get pictures when I get back .

Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
10-06-2016, 02:32 PM
First thing to check is head level. I had a problem where the cross connector rod got loose under the machine and skipped a tooth. Usually when the 4 vertical rails got dry and sticky and the head was harder to raise. So put in a bit and a wide board and call up the Z Data and touch the board on the left and right and look at the data.

OR just slip a strip of paper under the rollers and crank down. Tug on the paper and see is one side is loose.

AL

bergerud
10-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Could it be that the UCB rails are not straight? If they were curved or warped, the board might rock. The deeper carve might pull the end of the board up??

Sounds like a strange one.