PDA

View Full Version : oil paint bubbles up once lacquer is applied but not with polyurethane

wpickrel
10-01-2016, 07:44 AM
I am attempting to work with lacquer, I applied it to 2 projected that were painted using Sharpie oil based markers. they bubbled up. I don't have this issue with poly. Any suggestions on how to correct.

bergerud
10-01-2016, 09:53 AM
Maybe you should try water based markers.

wpickrel
10-01-2016, 11:27 AM
What would be the difference on the finished product compared to oil based. Never tried water based

bergerud
10-01-2016, 11:36 AM
The colors might not be as rich. Once sealed under lacquer, it is fine though. Experiment.

jgowrie
04-23-2018, 10:32 AM
solvent based finishes can dissolve some paints/markers... Acrylic paints will start breaking down if you apply shellac for instance... Sharpie inks will melt also with shellac. I don't use lacquer that much because of the odor and flammable fumes but it's definitely considered a solvent based finish because it melts into the previous applications. You would need to somehow protect the paints with a sealant that won't dissolved under the solvent based finish you are going to apply

fwharris
04-23-2018, 11:28 AM
I start out with a very light coat, let it dry and then build up several coats after that.

SteveNelson46
04-23-2018, 12:22 PM
I am attempting to work with lacquer, I applied it to 2 projected that were painted using Sharpie oil based markers. they bubbled up. I don't have this issue with poly. Any suggestions on how to correct.

I spray lacquer all the time. It's mostly what I use but I prefer polyurethane when I have the time. Try spraying two coats of de-waxed shellac first. Shellac is alcohol based so it's not likely to dissolve the oil base. Especially if applied in light coats and lightly buffed between coats with 400 grit sandpaper or 0000 steel wool. I like Zinsser rattle can spray or an HVLP spray gun for larger areas or projects. It will even work good with poly.