PDA

View Full Version : Centerline carvings is too faint.

robboz4
09-26-2016, 05:40 PM
I'm working on a sign for our local vineyard and tried a small mock up version first, see attached image. I used Centerline for the text and it is barley visible. I had followed the street sign tutorial and carved that sign without any issues. Yet my attempt of text did not carve deep enough. I believe I had the settings correct ( conform on as, I'm carving to a region) and used the 90° bit. The font is Snell RoundHand Black. Board size is 12 x 6 x .75.
Any idea what I got wrong and if I carve the full size sign which is 18 x 11 will I have the same issue with the font?

DianMayfield
09-26-2016, 05:44 PM
You may want to apply the 60v bit to the smaller font. The font engine uses the width of the font to determine how deep the 90v goes. If the strokes are thin, the bit doesn't have to go very deep the get that fat bit to fill the stroke. The preview should show you the difference pretty well, switch back and forth. if you zoom in, the curser will tell you how deep each bit goes.

robboz4
09-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Ok Thanks for the info. I actually used the 60° bit on an earlier mock up and the text was non existent - perhaps a faint scratch, that's when I went back to the forum and tutorial and realized that I needed the 90° bit. But I'll check out the preview mode to see if I can see a difference.

Cheers

DianMayfield
09-26-2016, 07:33 PM
I didn't have the bold snell, but this is a good example. These are the different depths of the two fonts... the top in the image is the 90v, bottom is the 60

90v .055in
60v .094

DickB
09-26-2016, 11:40 PM
I would say most of the issue is with the font itself. It has a mix of thick and very thin strokes. The very thin strokes are not a good choice for Centerline. The 60 degree bit will go deeper, and with the larger-size sign and text the bit will also go deeper. But those very thin strokes on the font will never be cut very deep. You might consider a font without the thin strokes. For example, compare the A of your font to that of another script font. Notice that the latter font has thicker thin strokes. That font will carve deeper and yield better contrast.

Digitalwoodshop
09-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Will that font let you make it Bold. Some do and some don't...

I would do a 2 project version.

Make the 2nd project just the V60 text and let the bit touch inside the carve region.

Watch the bit touch on the bit plate especially with the V bits as a dirty rail can prevent the bit from actually touching the plate and make for a shallow text. Because the truck normally does not go down that far and getting into dirty rails can cause enough resistance to make the truck think it had hit the bit plate.

AL

Proctorw
09-28-2016, 12:25 PM
When did you buy your machine. I had a problem with mine and it turned out there was a bad "Batch" that needed an update. My machine would "Aircarve" so you might want to check with Connie on when your machine was built.

robboz4
09-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks!

I'll look into a different font. I'm trying to keep it in a Provencal style to match the other community designs. I think as long as I can get an italic with a thicker stroke I should be fine. I might try a test carve on some scrap wood with different fonts and methods and choose the best one. I'll use the size of the final sign so it matches.

Cheers

robboz4
09-28-2016, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had just cleaned all the rails as I was experiencing Z axis stall, but the turned out to be the ribbon cable. So mechanically everything should be clean and run smoothly. I watched the bit hit the plate and it is hitting in the middle, the plate is swinging out all the way. I have had trouble with that in the past.

Cheers

robboz4
09-28-2016, 01:38 PM
My machine is a very very old one. Model A sold under the name CompuServe at Sears. As long as I keep it clean and new sharp bits it seems to perform great. I think the smaller version of the sign and font choice may be the problem.

Cheers

DAve

DickB
09-28-2016, 01:53 PM
I might try a test carve on some scrap wood with different fonts and methods and choose the best one. I'll use the size of the final sign so it matches.Good plan.

robboz4
09-29-2016, 05:39 PM
So here are the results of my experiment with the full size carvings of the font ( see photo). I carved text using the same font, but the text describes the method:
Centerline V90
Raster carve bit
Raster Outline.

I think I will use the same font but raster outline, the font is till faint on the centerline V90. I was going to try V60, but I like the font and the raster outline.

I've also enclosed a picture of the mini versions of the sign. I pencilled in the text and then varnished over it. Not too bad for a mock up...

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Cheers

Dave

CompuCarve
Updated to rubber traction feed;
New Chuck System.
dc Insert

iMAC 3.2Ghz Intel Core 3
8G DDR
1G HDD Plus 5Tb NAS storage

NEW: Project Designer 3.0!!!
Project designer 1.187
Centerline
STL Import
Scanning Probe

cwestwood
10-14-2016, 11:21 AM
I've had the same problem. I found a hack around it that seems to work everytime. I just let the machine measure bit depth and open door before it starts carving and lowerthe bit about 1/16" or so. I ran a couple of test runs and then made me a gauge to put between the bit and collet. It's worked well for all fonts I've used including the ones with skinny and thick lines.

Digitalwoodshop
10-14-2016, 12:15 PM
I would look at the BIT PLATE.... It should be LEVEL.... I remember when I had some V60 text problems and found my Bit Plate was not level and was bent down.... Bend up and try again.

AL

robboz4
10-15-2016, 03:51 PM
Thanks. I'll look at the plate and if no success might use 1/!6" washer installed just before the actual text gets carved. The outline raster with a V90 bit and 1/8" depth seems to be ok on the latest test run. So might stick with that as I'm past a deadline for making this sign. :(

robboz4
11-17-2016, 06:40 PM
Ok final posting. The carve came out out, but I painted the carved text with a gold paint just to create a contrast. It goes on display tonight so we will see what the critics say.

Thanks once gain for all the suggestions.

henry1
11-17-2016, 06:43 PM
Ok final posting. The carve came out out, but I painted the carved text with a gold paint just to create a contrast. It goes on display tonight so we will see what the critics say.

Thanks once gain for all the suggestions.

it won't open up I get an error

robboz4
11-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Strange! It works on my iPad. I posted it using my other computer. I'll check it out tomorrow.
Cheers

robboz4
11-19-2016, 01:26 PM
Ok Will try to upload again as it definitely doesn't work in a browser....