PDA

View Full Version : Bit check question

dehrlich
09-25-2016, 03:35 PM
Not sure where this question goes but.... I do a product that requires, among other things, the cutting bit to do both drilling and cutting tasks. The whole project uses at least 3 bits, some 4. Question is why does the machine need to do a separate bit check for the cutting bit as a drilling bit then the cutting bit? Should not one check be enough when it knows it's the same bit assigned to the task? It will check it as the drilling bit (i assume), then one of the vector bits, then asks for it again. It just takes an extra several minutes to do the check which could be avoided. Thanks!

09-25-2016, 03:50 PM
I imagine this is a coding shortcut, i.e. it is easier to program each step and do a bit check for each step than to do an IF/THEN decision fork in the code flow. To include an decision fork (IF/THEN statement) for each step to check if the bit is the same or different would double or even triple the coding required not to mention make the machine hesitate at these junctures anyway. It would also mean that the coder would need to include a user response to ask if you want to proceed with the same bit at each of these steps just in case you actually have an exception. For example suppose you actually use a different 1/8" cutting bit for just drilling than the one you use for cutting. I have some cutting bits that are a little dull on the tip but with a through hole that won't make a difference.

FWIW, I used to be impatient with how many steps it took to get the machine to get started on a project but now I do things so rote I have to remember to concentrate and watch the menu in case something actually come up unusual. Each one of those step means something important. I've ruined a couple of projects by just pushing the next button in the sequence without looking to what the readout says. The more you understand how this machine works, the more you will understand just how complicated the process is and why it takes so many steps.

DickB
09-25-2016, 08:11 PM
I've questioned the logic of this myself, as I have several projects that involve carving, drilling, vector cuts, and cutouts with different bits and have run into the same problem. I think these initial checks are unnecessary and wish they would be removed. Or at least provide a user option to do so. Just prompt for and load the bits as they are needed for the project, rather than preloading each bit for each task before doing anything.

SteveNelson46
09-25-2016, 09:05 PM
It is possible to change the bit at the machine without having to re-upload the project. At the prompt "Select Cutting Bit 1/8" Cutting" (or something like that) you can use the arrow keys to cycle through the choices. It's just giving you a chance to change your mind.

bergerud
09-25-2016, 10:12 PM
It is possible to change the bit at the machine without having to re-upload the project. At the prompt "Select Cutting Bit 1/8" Cutting" (or something like that) you can use the arrow keys to cycle through the choices. It's just giving you a chance to change your mind.

Very interesting. I have never played with that. Surely you cannot change the bit that was assigned in Designer. Do you mean that you can choose a different order to measure the project bits, or, do you really mean you can change the bits that a project uses?

Anyone else played with this?

fwharris
09-25-2016, 10:28 PM
Very interesting. I have never played with that. Surely you cannot change the bit that was assigned in Designer. Do you mean that you can choose a different order to measure the project bits, or, do you really mean you can change the bits that a project uses?

The change bit at the machine will change to that bit for your project. Highly not recommended to do if you want to get out what you have designed. I have not done it but have found out others have and then they questioned why their project did not turn out as designed.

bergerud
09-25-2016, 11:04 PM
The change bit at the machine will change to that bit for your project. Highly not recommended to do if you want to get out what you have designed. I have not done it but have found out others have and then they questioned why their project did not turn out as designed.

Wow. I can hardly believe the machine would do that. I will have to check that out. Changing the bit measuring order among the project bit set makes some sense but overriding a bit assigned in Designer, that seems stupid.

I think the machine would have to run the project the same no matter which bit you choose, and so, why make us fools think we can change bits? My thought would be that this is a programming error. Code used for non-Designer machine operations being available when it should not be.

fwharris
09-25-2016, 11:14 PM
Well do not come down to hard on doing that, Good Ole Al uses it for cutting out his tags. His 2nd gear technique with assigning (I might get this in the in correct order) the 1/8 bit to the project but using the 1/16 bit at the machine. But I do not think he tells the machine that.

bergerud
09-25-2016, 11:21 PM
I do not think changing the bit at the machine can change how the machine runs a project. That code has already been compiled. (I thought Al just did a bit switch like we do with the V bits.)

henry1
09-26-2016, 05:25 AM
I have use this bit not to change many time now , the carving bit I leave it in and check the carving and leave it in and then check the cutting bit works great for me and save time to change

myshop1044
09-26-2016, 07:47 AM
I read on the forum a good while back, one user leaves the same bit it place on the first pass of all the bit checks,
then puts the correct bit in when needed and hits redefine when asked. I have never tried it, maybe on my next multiple bit project.

bergerud
09-26-2016, 09:43 AM
Many of us just use one bit for all of the initial measurements and then later put in the right bit when it is used. That is a good point that Henry and Perry have added to this thread.

(That is not, however, what Steve, Floyd, and I were hijacking the thread to ponder. Steve noted that one can change the bit choice at the keypad with the arrows buttons.)

DickB
09-26-2016, 10:24 AM
I hax an issue when I tried that so did not try again. May have been unrelated. I don't recall the exact issue but it ruined my project.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

myshop1044
09-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Which one did you have a issue with, the key pad or the same bit trick?

SteveNelson46
09-26-2016, 11:10 AM

It does seem a bit odd. I have never tried it so I don't know how it would work. You would loose control of the bit and couldn't set things like inset or depth. But, like driving on the left side of the road, it can be done.

DickB
09-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Which one did you have a issue with, the key pad or the same bit trick?
Same bit.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

bergerud
09-26-2016, 11:42 AM
It does seem a bit odd. I have never tried it so I don't know how it would work. You would loose control of the bit and couldn't set things like inset or depth. But, like driving on the left side of the road, it can be done.

I do not think that the pre-compiled project code can be changed at the machine. I think the project would be carried out exactly the same no matter what bit you choose with the keypad. Experiment required!

myshop1044
09-26-2016, 12:19 PM
I am going it give the same bit test on a project this afternoon. I will use the 1/16 carving bit in stead of loading the V bit and cutting bit on the first pass, the load them when needed, we will see, the plot thickness!!!!!

fwharris
09-26-2016, 12:23 PM
I do not think that the pre-compiled project code can be changed at the machine. I think the project would be carried out exactly the same no matter what bit you choose with the keypad. Experiment required!

I believe that if the bit was changed at the machine it would not change any of the pre compiled programing and the project would be ran as designed but the end results would be with what ever the new bit did. I had one customer asking how come their patterns would not carve out as designed and why the bit was breaking. After talking through his process I found out he was changing the pattern bit at the machine to the 1/8 straight bit. He could not give me a good reason for doing so other than, well the selection was there.

fwharris
09-26-2016, 12:25 PM
I am going it give the same bit test on a project this afternoon. I will use the 1/16 carving bit in stead of loading the V bit and cutting bit on the first pass, the load them when needed, we will see, the plot thickness!!!!!

This has been an old work around for some time. When 2.0 version came out we were not able to do this and the software techs made the programing change, loosened the bit length tolerances, so that we could. Before the changes the project would not run if the bit length was outside the tolerance.

Digitalwoodshop
09-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Interesting.....

I make vector paths to cut out the tags from sheet stock. I use 1/4 inch strips of double stick tape to hold the tag after it is cut so no tabs. I assign the 1/4 inch bull nose bit and actually use a 1/16th circuit board end mill bit. It locks the feed rate into 1st gear. Never switches to 2nd gear.

AL

myshop1044
09-26-2016, 07:54 PM
I only saved a few seconds keeping the carving bit in the chuck during the 3 bit, v, carving, and cutting first test was done.
when the 60 deg v bit was asked for, I put in the real v bit and it ask to re-find and I did, then entered contuine and it did not question the other 2 bits since they are about the same length .