PDA

View Full Version : Error: Clean Z rails?

m4pc
03-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Has anyone seen this error: "Clean Z rails. Press enter to continue"?

After carving a project for a little over an hour and 85% complete, I received this error. I proceeded to wipe the Y and Z rails with a cloth, then blew off the rails with air. After pressing enter, the z-truck moved a bit and the same error returned. After the third or fourth time, I received a z-axis stall error. I'm running firmware version 1.120. and was carving pine.

Any ideas on the cause or fix?

Thanks, M4pc

benluz
03-22-2007, 08:22 AM
I spoke to chris and he said I lot of the time one of the cables in the z-truck might get pinched causing some voltage to leak to the frame could and cause this problem and we have to go through each cable with the ohm meter.My chuck has to be rebuilt ,so I have not done this yet.Has anyone else had this problem and found it was a cable pinched?
Ben

Jeff_Birt
03-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Yes, I posted some pics a while back. The cable runiing down to the board edge sensor can work out of the track and get pinched and the condition can be intermittant. I replaced my cable but the short had casued other problems too (in my case). I would suspect that an ohm-meter would not be the correct tool for the job. It would be better to hi-pot the suspect cable (wires), this will test for a break down in the wires insulation not just if a short exists at the time you are testing. But, this is something best left to the CW guys as a hi-pot tester in the wrong hands can really screw thing up.

Does the z-truck move smoothly by hand?

benluz
03-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Hi Jeff, I remember your post , In fact I was having trouble with the Cw at that time and after reading that I tore the trucks down for inspection.I put it back together along with a rebuilt z-encoder and all worked goood for 40 hrs , then I got the clean z rails message followed by the z-stall.I checked the entire z-truck for mechanical drag, but I could find nothing.The truck moves smoothly,but it seems to have more resistance than before, this is where Chris had mention that a condition of where the capacitors are staying charged from a leak from one of those cables, causing a stiffness in the z-truck.Is this what you encountered when your wire was pinched ? Oh I did notice an unusually low board sensor reading and I had just cleaned the unit and it was not able to make it past 48.
Ben

Jeff_Birt
03-22-2007, 09:13 AM
In my case the particular wire that got pinched killed ALL the machines sensors. I would assume that it was the +Vcc to all the sensors. When I replaced the cable all sensors worked, I had good board sensor readings, both truck smoved smoothly, etc., but the Z-truck would only move about 5mm in a very jerky fasion. This may have been due to a problem with the homing sensor/probe board or something else that got damaged when the cable shorted.

m4pc
03-22-2007, 06:19 PM
After searching for broken wires and poor connections on the z-axis motor, I found (I hope) the cause of my error. The motor connection lug / terminal where it attaches to the terminal board (next to encoder disk) is broken. Not sure if there's enough material there to make a good mechanical connection.

I have a call in to CW's tech support, but I'm open ideas and potential fixes in the mean time.

menewfy
04-27-2007, 10:37 AM
I too was having clean z rails error

it turns out that my problem was (or we hope it was at his point, will know more when we get a part) the magnet inside the z truck itself. The key to finding this out it would seem is a couple of things.

1. I was haveing alot f trouble with getting the bit out or in like 30 mins of trying.

2. also what really let them know was the dust that was grey, i di not think much of it when i saw it happening, but apparently the magnet melts and the grey dust is the result, it then gets inside the truck and cause more friction.

just thought I would let you all know

and these are the days of our lives, stay tuned for what is going to happen on tomorrows show LOL

Digitalwoodshop
04-27-2007, 10:31 PM
I like the bit about the Capacitors being charged due to the pinched wires.... Causing electronic drag through the drive motor. I like it....

AL

HillBilly
04-29-2007, 01:02 AM
Ya got`s to love it, We`re all "beta-testers" till the end.

The really great part is, a lot of "Us" don`t give up that easy... <grin>

benluz
09-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks,
Ben

malviski
08-29-2010, 03:54 PM
I too have this same issue. I did not have it until I updated to the recent software. Now i can get 96 percent done with any carve over 30 minutes and the machine stops with this same error. After wiping down the rails and lubing them i hit enter and it tells me to clean the other rail. The machine will carve for about 2 seconds and stop again. it will repeat this 2 times each rail. after the 6th time stoping it decides it wants to carve again then it carves right through the side of the carving. It looks like it sets new boundrys on the width of the carve and ruins the carve. Tried this 3 times and the exact same thing happens. Same number of clean errors, same percent of carving complete, all the same results all three times. Anyone ever get thiers fixed? Please help!!!!

Has anyone seen this error: "Clean Z rails. Press enter to continue"?

After carving a project for a little over an hour and 85% complete, I received this error. I proceeded to wipe the Y and Z rails with a cloth, then blew off the rails with air. After pressing enter, the z-truck moved a bit and the same error returned. After the third or fourth time, I received a z-axis stall error. I'm running firmware version 1.120. and was carving pine.

Any ideas on the cause or fix?

Thanks, M4pc

Digitalwoodshop
08-29-2010, 06:35 PM
This is a very old thread.

First thing you need to do is look and see if you have the newer 14 pin big flat FSC Cable and the 14 pin boards. This failure was common with the old 18 pin system because the thinner wires did not pass enough current.

It is called the Z Bundle, if you don't have it, GET IT.

If you do have it and I expect you do.... Then I see in your post "OIL" After cleaning the rails if you apply oil to the rails and don't have a dust collection system then the wood flakes stick to the rails and bearings..... That could be your problem... Yes, you can wipe oil on the rails to keep them from rusting but wipe off 99% of the oil.

There is a No Mans land between the bearings that is hard to clean and a rag stuffed between the bearings can do the trick.

Then there is the Z Belt.... I blow my belt out often with air and I have a collection system. Wood in the belt cogs can cause a stall.

Then there is the Z Encoder on the back of the Z. This black dust forms inside and blocks the clear disk with lines on it.

Could be a loose plug..... Or a bad 14 pin FSC Cable... A broken wire.

Could be a board coming out from a roller and is not being held flat to the table and pops UP into the bit.
Try to keep the board held by 2 rollers at all times while carving. Tips and Tricks has good info on this.

The picture shows the OLD 16 pin but it is 18 pin..... Ooops...

Good Luck,

AL

malviski
08-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Thank you for all the advise. I have finally been able to get the machine to carve an entire project with a carve time of over 50 minutes. I lift the cover half way through and then let the flex shaft, rock chuck and spindle cool down then I clean out all the dust and start it back up and it seems to work fine. I had to replace the Q/C with a rock chuck because the Q/C failed. Then the flex shaft was running hot, so i ordered one of those and maybe i have 10 hours on the flex shaft. The machine was under warranty when i had all these issues, but the new flex shaft still seems to heat up. I think it is the spindle. I am sure that is not covered by warranty either and is a pretty penny. Could the spindle be causeing these problems if it is getting to hot? I will still try all your suggestions digital, i just wanted to get this info out in case it may help someone else.

Thanks so much!!!

AskBud
08-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Here is a link to an old thread on Flex Shafe Lube.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15308-Machine-Maintenance-REF-T-amp-T-Jan-2008&p=129178#post129178

Digitalwoodshop
08-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Like Ask Bud posted... Lube the Flex.... Chain Lube with Molly....

I unplug the flex at the head and pull the shaft out and squirt a dime size dob of Chain lube in the center of the flex and put it back together. The danger is TOOOOOOO Much lube.... It gets into the top hat and into the spindle bearings and gets HOT..... Check for oil in the top and wipe clean.

AL

malviski
09-01-2010, 07:45 AM
I am having the issues again after letting the machine cool down after 30 mins of carving. It stops in the exact same place with the same error. I had 3 patterns on the board the 2 that carved good i deleted the and ran the pattern that keeps getting the errors by itself and still get the same results. I have checked all the wires, no kinks or broken insulation, all appears to be in good order. I have been lubing the flex shaft the way you guys have posted. I keep my machine very clean also. I really beieve it is software because this has happened since i updated. There were no issues like this before i upgraded to the present version. Is there a way to go back to the old version? If so i would like to do that and try running the carve again and that should be the key to seeing if it is software. Thanks again for all the help!

Digitalwoodshop
09-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Is the board popping out from under the roller and stalling the Z?

Is the ending cut 3.5 inches from the end of the board?

AL