PDA

View Full Version : Carvin' Time

kwyjibo67
03-21-2007, 10:40 PM
This clock was from a set of plans that came from Scroll Saw Magazine. I used a flatbed scanner to scan all the gears into the PC so that I could then import the images into Designer. It took about 3 hours to cut out all of the pieces. Unfortunately I had to result to a scroll saw to cut the main frame of the clock. My attempts to scan this part in were unsuccessful (my scanner isn't wide enough and stitching 2 scans together wasn't producing the desired results).

Jeff_Birt
03-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Very nice!

pamjmayo
03-22-2007, 02:03 AM
Did you carve that on the machine? It is so wonderful! Very good job. How do you like your probe?

Bill
03-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Excellent job, well done ;)

SpiffyDog
03-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Simply fantastic! Very nice!

meat
03-22-2007, 09:41 AM
This clock was from a set of plans that came from Scroll Saw Magazine. I used a flatbed scanner to scan all the gears into the PC so that I could then import the images into Designer. It took about 3 hours to cut out all of the pieces. Unfortunately I had to result to a scroll saw to cut the main frame of the clock. My attempts to scan this part in were unsuccessful (my scanner isn't wide enough and stitching 2 scans together wasn't producing the desired results).
Well done!

To make mine work, I had to go the writer's website and maneouver through it to get the plans for the missing parts in the magazine plans!

Your pal,
Meat.

Mike
03-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Really good work!

rgant05
03-23-2007, 02:02 AM
KWJ,

Nice work.... does it keep good time??? :) I have not had courage to try multiple pieces that have to fit together yet. Some comments about scanning something that is too big for your flatbed scanner. I have done some work that was too big for my scanner by using my camera. I have an 8 mp camera and have taken picture of large pictures that were about 20 x 30 " and above the level from which I could take a picture straight on. I took it into Photoshop Elements and learned that I could correct the errors in squareness that happens when you take picture at an angle with something. I came out with all the proper measurment relationships and a nice square picture when finished in photoshop elements. I imagine you can do the same thing in CorelDraw although I just haven't tried it there. You can also recreate it by tracing a photo, so if the CW is big enough to carve it, you might still be able to get a file into the machine for it. If you would like me to take a look at it, let me know. I'm always game for finding solutions.

Roger

kwyjibo67
03-23-2007, 10:25 PM
First I would like to thank everybody for their responses and kind words. To answer some of the questions:

pamjmayo, yes, everything except the round black frame was carved on the CompuCarve. Even the clock hands. I was pleasantly surprised that it could do this delicate work. I only wish I did not have build up the pieces that are thinner than 1/2" so that they could be run through the machine to be cut. I don't have the probe, the scanner I was referring to is a flatbed document scanner.

Meat, I too had to find some information that was left out of the article in the magazine. When I was assembling it, I couldn't figure out how I missed a piece for the ratchet assembly. When I looked at the plans it was there but barely visible. Went to the site, got the updates and as a bonus found all the measurements for the brass tubes and rods that were left out of the magazine. By the way, finding the brass for the project was an adventure in itself. Only found one hobby shop within 30 miles of me that had it in stock.

Roger, I thought about using a camera, but was concerned about not getting a straight on shot. I didn't think to try and adjust it in software. I might give this a try if I do another one. The images I needed were just over 12" in diameter. Small enough to be cut on the CompuCarve, but too big for the scanner. After all the scanning, exporting, and importing of images I still had to play around with the sizes in Designer. Since the gears are made up of several cut paths, I created a group for each gear and then resized the groups. The only way I found to do that was by dragging the group selection. I could not get it to the exact size I wanted, but it was close enough. I wish you could resize a group by directly entering a measurement, but that option is disabled. It only works for individual items in the carving, not groups. I still have to assemble the weight and pendulum, so I don't know how well it keeps time yet.

Thanks again!

-Matt