PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Finding Bits

Retrospek
09-15-2016, 10:44 AM
Quite often the last few days when I try to carve a project, it asks for a bit. For instance, it will ask for the 1/8" cutting bit. Bit inserted, carriage moves to the left, when it moves to the right for the touch paddle, it won't go far enough right to make the paddle come out all the way. I have tried cleaning everything, and it works about 25% of the time, the other 75% it says it can find the bit. Rinse and repeat, over and over. If I open the lid, the paddle moves freely, the carriage is free of debris, everything looks good. When it does work, no other issues, but it's frustrating that I have to do it sometimes 4 or 5 times before it finds the bit.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? Thanks.

fwharris
09-15-2016, 10:52 AM
A few things to check.

Cut motor wires are tucked clear back into the corner so that they do not hit the back of the Z motor as it travels to the bit plate. The is the most common reason after dirty Y rails and bearings.

Y belt tension not tight enough.

lynnfrwd
09-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Quite often the last few days when I try to carve a project, it asks for a bit. For instance, it will ask for the 1/8" cutting bit. Bit inserted, carriage moves to the left, when it moves to the right for the touch paddle, it won't go far enough right to make the paddle come out all the way. I have tried cleaning everything, and it works about 25% of the time, the other 75% it says it can find the bit. Rinse and repeat, over and over. If I open the lid, the paddle moves freely, the carriage is free of debris, everything looks good. When it does work, no other issues, but it's frustrating that I have to do it sometimes 4 or 5 times before it finds the bit.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? Thanks.

Go to www.carvewright.com > Support > Search Support bar > Type "Bit Plate" (or other relevant key word)- follow the troubleshooting sheet.

Retrospek
09-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Okay, will check those, thank you very much.

Digitalwoodshop
09-15-2016, 12:08 PM
The bearings in the Y Gearbox go bad at about 250-300 cut hours and can contribute to this problem too.

2 - 685ZZ