PDA

View Full Version : Z Axis Stall

universal-sasquatch
09-14-2016, 07:08 AM
This past week I have had a couple of Z Axis stalls. Both have occurred after installing the cutting bit to cut out the pattern.
One of the projects is a pattern I have done several times, I ran three more after the stall and had no problem. I ran a new pattern yesterday and it happened again.

The machine is clean and lubricated. I replaced the ffc cable a few weeks back because the other looked like it was developing a crack and I had a spare on hand.

I did the operator tests and everything was working.

What am I missing?

Sas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bergerud
09-14-2016, 09:01 AM
If the stalls have started after replacing the FFC ribbon, maybe you should recheck the connections at each end of the ribbon.

Otherwise, explain exactly when the stall occurs and we might come up with some other theories.

universal-sasquatch
09-14-2016, 09:37 AM
I checked the ribbon and it seems to be plugged in right and in good shape. The stall yesterday occurred at the end of the project. I used a carving bit, a v bit, and then put in the cutting bit and the stall occurred when it began the cut. On the other project, I used a carving bit and then the cutting bit at the end when it stalled. This particular project is one I have run several times and then did two more of with no problem after the stall.

I replaced the bushings in the cut motor at the same time I replaced the ffc ribbon.

Thanks for the help

Digitalwoodshop
09-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Likely a slipping Z Encoder plastic wheel. The fast up and down of Carving can give the encoder "Whiplash"...

Clean it too...

AL

universal-sasquatch
09-14-2016, 10:53 AM
Ok, thanks

bergerud
09-14-2016, 10:56 AM
Could the cutting bit be dull or chipped?

fwharris
09-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Is there any chance that the plate at the brass roller has a hole drilled into it? Some times the cutting head is still spinning when it bobs down to the brass roller.

universal-sasquatch
09-14-2016, 12:40 PM
I just finished a three hour carve, no bit change, and everything worked fine. I pulled the cover off and see a little dust inside the encoder case ( how does it even get in there?) so I'll clean it. The bit is in good shape. I will check the plate by the brass roller. When I pulled the cover there was a bunch of fine powder from some cedar pieces I carved the other day. I have another project to carve and cut this afternoon so We'll see if it works then. I think anything with a computer in it experiences temporary insanity from time to time.

universal-sasquatch
09-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Have any of y'all experienced the phenomena that you only break something when you have someone wanting to actually pay for a project? I took the key board side cover off, dropped it, and tore the wires loose on the ribbon going to the reader. Well, I guess I have presented myself with an opportunity to stock up on parts and deep clean the machine. I wonder if it will fit in the dishwasher?

bergerud
09-14-2016, 02:46 PM
Bummer. But, as Al said, do check that the encoder disk is not loose on the motor shaft. The "jack hammering" that the machine does when plunging the cutting bit into the wood might be making the disk slip.

Digitalwoodshop
09-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Bummer. But, as Al said, do check that the encoder disk is not loose on the motor shaft. The "jack hammering" that the machine does when plunging the cutting bit into the wood might be making the disk slip.

A drop of super glue fixes that spinning disk.... be sure to not get any on the pulse area of the disk.