PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody long time!

Ike
09-13-2016, 03:53 PM
Hello all, it has been a long time since my last post. For the newer members I am Rick, aka Ike! For the older members how are you doing!? Long story short 4 years ago the wife and I moved from Susanville Ca to Rancho Cordova Ca. We lived there for 2 years and got tired of the city real quick and moved the the foothills near Placerville Ca. We live in Diamond Springs Ca.

My wife a LA Calif girl who grew up in a well to do family married me 32 years ago together for almost 36 years. Our first home was a manufactured home, then our last house in Susanville was also a manufactured home. We had 2.5 acres and I had a 1200 sq ft shop! We moved to Rancho into an older 1959 stick built home, sold it. What did my wife want again? You guessed it another manufactured home! However acres is very expensive where we live and my wife having less then 6 years to retire and I am retired she want to move into a manufacture home park! So we did and this park allow a garage to be built. We opted for a bigger home so designed the biggest house we could and I am left to have my shop a 12 ft by 10 ft!!! It works great though I still have most of all the tools I had in my big shop and some others I did not!

I wanted to say hello..... so hello!

Ike

Ducky63
09-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Hi Ike!!! Glad to hear that you are well and doing wood working yet. Sounds like you are where you want to be and won't be moving very soon.

Gary Koval
09-14-2016, 05:06 AM
Ike,
Thanks for checking in, and I hope things are good for you. Gonna pick up where you left off? Your help is always needed here...
Gary

Ike
09-14-2016, 03:25 PM
Thank you Ducky and Gary! We have moved to what we hoped would be our last home. However it is still California and all the gun laws they are trying to implement is having us looking to moe out of state. I am a retired peace officer and these laws will effect me more then a citizen. As a peace officer we have the right to carry a concealed weapon and have larger magazines. Plus owning some handguns only cops can own. The left wing wants to make all this not available for anybody!

Okay I am off my soap box! My little shop works out great! I recently quit my job at Rockler woodworking and hardware. The job was great! The manager was a great manager but a lousy people person. I enjoyed the job and the extra money helped me buy more toys! But it was a job to keep busy! Anyway I quit for personal reasons! It is a great woodworking source so visit them on line or if there is a store near you. They are now carrying the Carvewright!! Wonder who suggested that? (wink wink)

I gave away almost all my tools when we moved from Rancho Cordova. I thought I was hanging up woodworking! Nope once it is in your blood it is hard to shake! So I bought a new Saw Stop job site tablesaw. This is the hotdog saw! Lol for those who are not familiar with Saw Stop the saw has a safety feature that will not cut off a finger or hand etc. The blade has low electricity running through it that uses moisture in body to detect skin. It uses our electricity to cause a fault in the blade like a GFI plug. Once the fault has occurred a brake paw is sprung and in 5 mil seconds stops and lowers the blade. Often only causing a scratch.

Lol I feel like I am selling one! Anyhoo they are a well built saw, but cost quite a bit more then other tablesaw of same type. I also bought a new 20" Dewalt Scroll saw this is a great saw too! I found a new 10" Craftsman bandsaw through Graigslist and bought it! I also bought a Nova mini lathe, then a 12" Jet variable speed drill press, a Triton bench spindle sander. I bought a Porter Cable combo disc sander and a new router and clamps Bessy and Jet plus a bunch of other little items! I bought all my tools from Rockler except my bandsaw and combo disc sander. I still have my version C Carvewright and it is still plugging along! I have another I think a B series in a box in storage, I can't remember what was wrong!

Since I am retired again I will try to keep in contact with the forum. I will share some of the few signs I still make today for a local realtor and my new passion lathe items. Bowels, vases, pens!

Thanks again I ope to hear from more old and new friends!

Ike

oscarl48
09-14-2016, 04:22 PM
Wood working and guns both get in your blood. lol.

Had to sell my sks when I lived on the central coast. I could have transported it but the paperwork was extreme so easier to just sell and buy later when transferred out of the state. Having said that there is nothing like shooting targets with the Pacific ocean as your backdrop. The base had its shooters club's shooting range literally on the beach. It may be closed now. This was 14 years ago and even then it was a fight to keep it open.

Great shop tools by the way and great shop.

- Oscar