PDA

View Full Version : "Y" Belt, Y do I need a new one?

Smoken D
09-10-2016, 04:25 PM
Saw some threads a week ago so went ahead and ordered a new Y belt. Went ahead a did a 5 hour carve yesterday and at 99.9999% finished, she shut down on me. I wonder "Y"? New belt not in yet so went ahead and took everything apart, looked at the motor brushes and decided to go ahead and put some new one's in. When the new belt comes in will finish up on maintenance and back to making saw dust. All the gears/bearings looked and worked great. Now for some grease.
P.S. A little info on taking the screws out of the Y Belt retaining clamp. They were put in with red lock tight, so it will take a little umph to get them out. Just be carefull not to strip the screw heads. Once I got the first one out saw the drop of that red lock tight on the screw and knew why it was tough to get loosen.

Digitalwoodshop
09-11-2016, 12:52 PM
While you have this all open... The Y Gearbox Bearings are a consumable as in they take the most abuse of any bearing in the CW and need to be replaced at a regular interval about 250 cut hours. Better to replace them early than to have them fail and grind down the big gear shaft.

http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/170/5x11x5-Metal-685ZZ-bearings.html

AL

Smoken D
09-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Thanks Al, I thought about it and then decided to go ahead and put some new bearings/gear in it. Had several new ones around, both gear and bearings, so just did it.