PDA

View Full Version : 3 prong plug or 2

millslum
03-21-2007, 04:59 PM
I have my craftsman compucarve and was wondering if this machine is espoused to come with a 3 prong plug or two. Seem to be having some issues with static and do not want to short anything including my house out. Mine currently has a 2 prong plug. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

HandTurnedMaple
03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
2-prong has been determined to be enough for the machine as it designed. Static problems seem to stem from the use of vacuums or dust collectors. The static from these items need to be controlled seperately.

So sayeth the Bard.

Kenm810
03-21-2007, 07:31 PM
millslum,

If your planning to use a dust collection system, be it a portable shop vac, a shop vacuum system, fan or down draft table - cabinet. Many, but not all have found it beneficial to incorporate some form of static electricity control. The censers and controls on the machine can be damaged by the static charge built up from air and dust moving through the plastic tubing or metal parts of the system. There are several kits available from wood worker stores like, Rockler, WoodCrafters, even Sears, Home Depot and Lowes. Most cost from $10.00 to $20.00 or you can just find the parts and make your own.