PDA

View Full Version : Chess Pieces art challenge

oscarl48
08-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Hopefully a fun challenge since its been so quite lately. For all the pattern builders I challenge you to create your coolest Chess piece pattern for this thread.

This is NOT my coolest chess piece but wanted to kick it off. It took me 10 minutes to make this. It took me way longer to make it a mpc to upload. I know you all can do way better. If there is only one other entry I will dedicate a minimum of an hour to make the most kick butt art chess piece and whoever posts the first pattern gets to call the chess piece i.e. knight, pawn, queen,...etc.

eelamb
08-24-2016, 06:39 AM
How about the whole set for the rotary jig.

oscarl48
08-24-2016, 08:08 AM
Eddie!

Glad to see you are still kicking.

Of course that would be cool. I was thinking more of a single art piece but it doesn't have to be.

Regardless, which chess piece pattern do you want me to make?

- O

eelamb
08-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Oscar, I thought I would show some I had made a long time back. It is nice to see you trying to inspire others to participate in creating something. The tools are there, in designer and third party software, so everyone jump in and create a chess piece, and Oscar will create a fantastic chess piece for the forum.
Let some one else pick the chess piece, for they are the forum now days, I just check in once in awhile.

oscarl48
08-26-2016, 07:05 PM
A little sad not even one half hearted attempt at a pattern. Oh well. You guys are lucky I like making patterns. Decided on a Death Knight (bishop). We'll see how it comes out. I've started so should be ready sometime tomorrow to upload.

oscarl48
08-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Death Knight bishop meant as an art piece. I am not enclosing the mpc since everyone will have a different idea of what the base should look like. Not sure if a block, stair stepped circle, or stair stepped squares will look better.

P.S. Took a little longer than the hour I mentioned. Total model build time was about 3 hours.

SteveNelson46
08-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Oscar,

Am I missing something or is the cape missing on the front pattern?

oscarl48
08-26-2016, 09:26 PM
Steve,

Nope, you are correct. I finished the pattern and didn't feel like playing with it any further. I would have to mess with the dimensions so that the stl would cut at exactly the right spot to allow the front of the cape to show. It would also be a 3 stl cut versus 2. To simplify the pattern I just left it at 2.

But your question got me thinking and I was am overthinking it. I only would have to do the previous effort if I wanted to keep exactly the same form factor of the pattern to the 3d model. Not a hard requirement.

I re-sliced the pattern and even though the depth dimensions are off it should be close enough a little sanding and a dremel tool can't fix.

So here is version 2.

Oscar

eelamb
08-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Oscar, as I said, you would make a fantastic pattern for the forum. Well done!
Yes sorry no one tried to make something.

oscarl48
08-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Eddie,

Thanks. And thanks for the PM.

For all the readers.

This is my original art so not wonderful. I've always had aspirations to be an artist but still have a long ways to go (but I am running out of time...sad old face...I hope 50 is the new 30). I do hope everyone is seeing what is possible with just a bit of time invested in learning some free software and the stl add-on with CW (and even that is not technically required with the bas relief porting capabilities). The errors and poor quality of the patterns are all on me and not based on either the CW or blender 3d software. They are both wonderful pieces of software with some basic limitations but incredible potential. I believe we are at the beginning of incredible industrial revolution with home manufacturing due to the price drop and availability of laser cutters/engravers, 3d printers, and cnc machining.

blah blah...talking...words...you don't care. lol.

I still want to make another chess piece but this time you choose.

I'll leave the selection open until 1 Sept. If no inputs I'll go dust off the laser engraver that has been sitting in the corner of my shop and start learning how to use that machine. I've had it sitting there for 2 years without even turning it on so don't even know if it works. :(

Dang CW has been so much fun that I kind of forgot I had the other machine. That was after I got over thinking of throwing it out of a 3rd floor window (sticky roller issue early on).

henry1
08-27-2016, 05:38 PM
Oscar I like what you are doing,, don't quit on us I don't play chess only with my wife lol if I could help I would I am getting to old to remember stuff just keep up the good work ,I will be carving the ones you put out there

oscarl48
08-27-2016, 06:05 PM
Henry,

Thank you. I think I almost cracked a rib laughing. I sent a pm.

Take care please. My memory is getting really horrible too.

Regards,
Oscar

normrichards
08-27-2016, 06:06 PM
I only wish my imagination was as good as yours. That is a great piece, almost makes me want to say you need to complete the set based on the theme you just started.

Scooby
08-27-2016, 07:27 PM
OK Oscar - here's an idea. Since you like to think outside the box.... How about chess pieces in the future? For example, what would a knight or a king look like 500 years from now? Chess pieces are based on ancient figures (1300 years ago), what's the future "look" of chess? Some schools have dropped history, do kids even know the definition of a rook, knight, bishop, etc. other than names of chess pieces? Let your mind wander ...hmmm

oscarl48
08-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Norm,

Thanks. That may be something I look into in the future.

Scooby,

That is interesting. I find hard surface modeling a lot easier than organic modeling. Main reason I have been doing so much organic sculpting is to try and get better at it. I still pretty much suck at it. It just takes me forever. Good sculptors can whip up a model in minutes where for me it takes hours and hours. Might have to play with the idea.

Still playing around. Here is a sea monster knight.

eelamb
08-27-2016, 09:00 PM
Oscar, only 50, that is still young, Henry will agree with me since he is older than I by a few years. I started learning 3d work when I was 60.

SharonB
08-28-2016, 12:50 AM
Oscar.... I don't play chess but I do like your Sea Monster Knight. I can see a whole set with a central theme (Monsters) or the future theme. The younger generation would probably appreciate something different like that.

henry1
08-28-2016, 08:01 AM
Oscar, only 50, that is still young, Henry will agree with me since he is older than I by a few years. I started learning 3d work when I was 60.
Hey Eddie we are about the same age lol have a good one

dbemus
08-28-2016, 03:24 PM
I like Sharon's suggestion of a "monster" or "future" theme. It surely would be a hit with young chess players!

oscarl48
08-28-2016, 07:45 PM
This was more of a concept to see how it would look. Has potential. I can see this being a four sided pattern since it is basically a square. Rook ala castle Greyskull. HEEEEMAAANNN!

But don't even know if anyone under 30 knows what that was. lol

oscarl48
08-28-2016, 09:01 PM
I had to go back and redo the piece the way it was meant to look. Super pleased with this pattern. It just looks mean.

zan29
08-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Love your work Ed.

How about the whole set for the rotary jig.

lynnfrwd
08-29-2016, 04:58 PM
These are awesome!

oscarl48
08-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Connie, thanks. :D

One more piece. I've been practicing modeling human faces and just finished what I think is an attractive woman's face when inspiration struck. She should be a Spider Queen. Perfect for the set.

This one will take a little bit more work to set the carve due to the voids in the legs. I created some carve regions in the picture so the cut doesn't go all the way in that area but its up to you on how you want to set up your cut.

P.S. I didn't say thanks to Sharon, Norm, dbemus, Eddie, Henry, Steve, scooby, and everyone else for the inspiration.

Dale
08-29-2016, 07:49 PM
Sure wish I had your imagination, good job!

Mugsowner
08-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Oscar, these are great, the things you can dream up and create are wild to the mind.

SharonB
08-29-2016, 11:10 PM
Oscar... I sure like the way your mind works. Keep up the good work and we'll have a full chess set soon.

Gary Koval
08-30-2016, 05:32 AM
Can never win when I play, so I don't play very often even though I love the game... Keep up the good work, love the designs!!!
Gary

normrichards
08-30-2016, 10:44 AM
Your welcome oscar but its you that inspires us!

oscarl48
08-30-2016, 07:51 PM
Somewhat of a fail. Started with a concept in my head and after 30 minutes realized I wasn't even close. I finished it out just so I wouldn't lose that half hour. Its turned out more cartoon-ish than what I like. So made him the pawn.

Again open areas in the pattern so you will have to either add carve regions or set the depth to less than a carve through.

SharonB
08-30-2016, 11:37 PM
Question Oscar. Since I don't know a thing about chess.... are your pieces in scale with each other (if you were to carve them as a set)? And how many different pieces are there?

oscarl48
08-31-2016, 11:29 AM
Sharon that is a great question. Originally I was not going for a set. They were random art chess pieces. The last two patterns are both designed at 8 inches tall. The rook (castle) is also designed at 8 inches but the base is much smaller.

There are 6 specific pieces in chess though they do not have to be the same: King x2, Queenx2, bishop x4, knight x4, rookx4, pawn x16. So 32 pieces in total. Usually a dark and a light but can be any color.

When I was much younger I was actually ranked in Texas for my age group. I was like 980 out of 1000. lol...but I was ranked!

Due to the size and number of pieces needed to be carved I don't really recommend as a complete project unless there is someone really, and I mean REALLY, special that loves chess. Taking one or two pieces to show the connection as art pieces make a better choice in my mind. Only my 2 cents.

judgejrt
09-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Great patterns Great idea!!

ronboley
09-05-2016, 02:28 PM
I just got back in town so I'm probably late to the party, but here's a rotary Knight I aquired from somewhere (wish I could remember so i could give credit) and had some fun with to add the "Have Gun Will Travel" to it....remember the old Paladon series ??? So just one chess piece as a paper weight/art piece.

A comment on challenges...I've issue a couple, but have had little success in getting a response...so here's my feable attempt to respond to yours. Manybe I will find time to do a "Pawn"...sort of a poor beggar figure with hands clasped and a begging cup....

oscarl48
09-05-2016, 02:54 PM
I've done a few challenges but it seems that interest has waned a little bit. Everyone I am sure is busy.

And yes this is only for an art piece. Too much work to actually make a full set. The beggar concept is different. Don't think I would have ever come up with something like that.

I only have designer 2 so can't see the mpc. Do you have a picture of it?

mtylerfl
09-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Just a note...the correct spelling is "PALADIN" (not Paladon) :p

oscarl48
09-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Michael, Thanks for the picture. Great looking pattern so kudos to whoever originally made it.

Ron, Very cool and creative. I had to look up the reference. Show ran from 1957 to 1963. Just slightly before my time but that was his calling card.

dltccf
09-06-2016, 07:37 AM
I carved that one a couple of years ago when I first got the rotary jig. You have to cut under his chin by hand due to the way the rotary cuts, but a nice pattern. As I recall the pattern came from thingiverse

Try this search if you are looking for chess knight inspiration: http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:1?q=chess+knight&sa=

dave

ronboley
09-06-2016, 03:56 PM
"57 to "63 ???? boy am I getting OLD...maybe I watched re-runs :-)....yep it's PALADIN...thanks....went to TINKERCAD..they have lots of 3D chess pieces....saw a robot set...now I'm trying to replecate a robot pawn I saw there for my soon to be 3 yr old grandson...wish me luck...

oscarl48
09-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Wonderful. Share a picture of whatever you build so we can oohh and aahh at it. :)

There are a few young older folks on here. Since we are having storms today I am feeling like 100. Its nice when you become a human barometer.

oscarl48
09-06-2016, 06:30 PM
I carved that one a couple of years ago when I first got the rotary jig. You have to cut under his chin by hand due to the way the rotary cuts, but a nice pattern. As I recall the pattern came from thingiverse

Try this search if you are looking for chess knight inspiration: http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:1?q=chess+knight&sa=

dave

That came out great. Thanks for sharing a picture of it.