PDA

View Full Version : cut motor grinds

raye321
08-20-2016, 02:51 PM
Hi, I'm having a problem with the cut motor. When it goes through the set up procedure before a project, you hit the enter button then it tests the motor for a few seconds- the motor has an loud grinding noise almost like metal on metal. I notice the spindle on the truck is not moving very fast like it's slipping. When it starts cutting it does work though. I replaced the motor brushes and also the spindle flex shaft, still does it. Also, it doesn't do it when I first turn it on (machine cold) It will start to do it after the first project which takes about 15 min.

fwharris
08-20-2016, 03:14 PM
It could be either the top or bottom spindle bearings or the flex shaft slipping in the top of the spindle, not the cut motor. Remove the flex shaft from the spindle and remove the top had to get a good look at the top bearing and the square hole that the flex shaft goes into.

bergerud
08-20-2016, 03:49 PM
It could be that the motor casing is cracked and the armature is scraping on the field magnets. Metal on metal. Really loud. (See if it continues when the flex core is out?)

raye321
08-20-2016, 05:42 PM
Yes, really loud. I think you may be right bergerud. The sound, I'm pretty sure is coming from the motor and you're right- the plastic on the motor is cracked. I know it's cracked where the small screw goes in to hold the flex shaft sheath in. I repaired it with some JB weld but It may be cracked other areas of the motor housing. Anything I can do? Motor cost $185.00.

bergerud
08-20-2016, 06:12 PM
The first step would be to take out the motor and have a good look.