PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Board Sensor, still says "Please Clear Board Sensor" NOT A NEWBIE

eastcutty
08-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Just replaced the Board Sensor on my CX running Designer 2 and it STILL says "Please Clear Board Sensor" whenever X-travel gets out from under the left roller (maybe coincidental, maybe not). That's if I repeatedly hit ENTER during setup steps. Board sensor reads 0 with no board, 101 with board (pine) in place. Roller switches work and test perfectly. I didn't test the old sensor, as above, so I can't tell if it was really a sensor issue to begin with. All wiring is secure and protected- even moving ribbons have taped edges. Any ideas?

lynnfrwd
08-19-2016, 05:01 PM
The machine is designed to know approximate distance to expect the end of board after it releases the back roller (3.5"). If it does not find the end of the board when it should, then it may give you this error. How long is the board? Are you using outfeed rollers to keep it from lifting off the tracking roller when it comes out from under the back roller?

eastcutty
08-19-2016, 05:20 PM
It's a shorter test board, about 9in, I had a smaller project due to go on it (birdhouse escutcheon), tried with "NOT Stay Under Rollers", then WITH just to see what happened.... same as before I replaced the sensor. It requires repeated attempts to read the width (about 4in) so I keep hitting ENTER when the message comes up and try again. I'll test with another larger board then get back to you.
For the record, I have a really good understanding of how the sensors work and usually figure this stuff out on my own before I resort to the Forums. Still, it's really great to know you guys are there, you HAVE helped me out several times in the past. Thanks

UPDATE: Replaced board with approx 14"x24" test piece... Y-travel only goes about an inch or two across width, then stops with "Clear Sensor" msg. Board under both rollers.

fwharris
08-19-2016, 05:41 PM
With a board loaded, use your 14" board, go to user option-sensors and manually move the head across the board while watching the sensor readings. Pay attention to see if the senor readings stay constant or jump around. Your problem could be either a shorted wire to the sensor or a bad FFC cable.

eastcutty
08-19-2016, 06:21 PM
OK, I did that and found, with head down and locked and rollers compressed, that the reading was now 150-ish. Moving across the Y-axis, I found the dead spot that was reading 0, then lifted the FFC Cable a tad and the reading went up to 150 again!
YAY !! .... or so I thought....
NOW all I can get is a straight 0 no matter where the cutting head is or where I flex the cable to. NOTE: the 'dead reading spot' WAS right where the cable drags across the little plastic 'guard' on top of the Y-axis motor cooling fins- the cable was only just starting to look worn on the bottom (but no conductor exposed) and I had added cello tape to the bottom to protect it from further wear.
I'll have to remove the top AGAIN to examine the connections before I order a new cable , but the cable DOES seem to be what the problem is, I guess, since the sensor worked fine across both board edges (read: 0 at near end, then 150, then 0 at the far end) before it crapped out altogether.
I just don't have time to do it tonight or tomorrow, so I'll have to follow-up with results in a couple of days. Wish me luck!
As always, thanks!

fwharris
08-19-2016, 06:55 PM
I bet when you lifted the cable and released it the conductor finally gave out. When you get back to it I bet you will find the break at either the black plastic support in the back or where it plugs into the back of the Z truck..

SteveNelson46
08-20-2016, 10:18 AM
You probably just need to clean the compression roller sensors. When the roller drops, the machine starts to look for the edge of the board. Sawdust gets packed under the sensor trip switch and roller guide and doesn't let the it drop. When this happens, the board will continue to travel until it loses the tracking roller and gives you the error message. Facing the machine from the front (keypad will be on the left), the sensors are on the left ends of the rollers. Manually compress each roller and use air pressure to blow behind the large rubber washer. If that doesn't work, you will have to remove the end panel to clean the sensors. Here is a link to the video that shows you how.

http://support.carvewright.com/cleaning-the-compression-rollors/

bergerud
08-20-2016, 10:40 AM
I think Floyd has nailed it. The board sensor readings change as the carriage moves. The FFC or its connection is the prime suspect.

SteveNelson46
08-20-2016, 10:46 AM
I guess I should have read all of the posts a little more thoroughly before posting a reply. Floyd is right, it's probably the FFC Cable.

Digitalwoodshop
08-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Attached to the Z Motor should be a little black plastic cap that the FFC Cable threads through with a screw holding it to the Z Motor. It does the function to hold the FFC Cable UP and away from the Evil Fins of the Y Motor.... I once got lazy and forgot to put it on and the drooping cable snagged the Y fins and under power jerked the FFC cable out and down. It shorted out a good Z Motor....

AL

eastcutty
08-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Sorry Steve but nope- I already stated the rollers are fine.... I can hear the switches click when I raise them, and the self-tests showed compression was positive.

eastcutty
08-20-2016, 07:55 PM
Based on what I've seen after Floyd's idea, I'm pretty sure he's nailed it, too, I just don't have the time right now to explore further.... will gladly update when I do to let you all know what the results were.
Thanks again to all.