PDA

View Full Version : Name Sign Example

SteveNelson46
08-17-2016, 12:43 PM
I had a couple of requests on how I built the name sign that I posted in the "Designer Bug" thread. For the one shown in the example I use Aspire to build the pattern. However, it can be done entirely in Designer 3 using the 3D and 2D addons. Here is an example. This one took me only about 30 minutes but I have built dozens of this type of signs so I've had a lot of practice.

EDIT: I included the base. Use a test cut in some scrap wood to adjust the size of the slot to fit. I also sanded a bevel the bottom of the sign so it would lean back a little. You could use small screws from the bottom to mount it but I just used glue and rubber bands for clamps. It would probably be easier to delete the profile around the perimeter of the base and use a router table or hand held router. Of course you will have to adjust the sizes of the name sign and the base for different length names.

henry1
08-17-2016, 07:40 PM
Thank you for that but I only have the 2.0 some day the 3 upgrade thx for trying

DonCP
08-18-2016, 07:09 AM
Thank you Steve. Think I will try to make one.

henry1
08-18-2016, 10:24 AM
Steve to do the puff on projects is it the 2 or the 3 has it for puffing or you need both of them

bergerud
08-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Steve to do the puff on projects is it the 2 or the 3 has it for puffing or you need both of them

Puffing is in the 3d advanced tools add on. 1.187, 2, and 3.

henry1
08-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Berg thank you and your back to school soon

SteveNelson46
08-18-2016, 11:42 AM

As Dan said, puffing is part of the 3D addon. I can't remember if puffing for text was introduced in version 2 or 3.

EDIT: I just looked it up in the change log. It looks like puffing for raster text was introduced in version 2.0

oscarl48
08-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Henry,

Its not exactly the same but you can still get something close with just your regular tools. It is a multi-step process and you have to carefully select the right font for it to work. Clint mentioned it in the other thread.

1. Create your base block.

2. Select surface. Vertical dome.

3. Type in the name and outline. (Connie was right. To close any outlines make the name really large, outline, and then reduce back to the needed size.)

4. Delete the font.

5. Select surface for the font outline. Vertical dome.

6. Group outer outlines of base and font outlines and use outline again for the outer cut.

7. Use cut path or select bit for cut as wanted and make sure to set your tabs.

Like Steve, I would prefer to use a 3d program for better control and more options. It can be the designer 3d add-on or a 3rd party 3d software (in my case blender).

- O

henry1
08-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Henry,

Its not exactly the same but you can still get something close with just your regular tools. It is a multi-step process and you have to carefully select the right font for it to work. Clint mentioned it in the other thread.

1. Create your base block.

2. Select surface. Vertical dome.

3. Type in the name and outline. (Connie was right. To close any outlines make the name really large, outline, and then reduce back to the needed size.)

4. Delete the font.

5. Select surface for the font outline. Vertical dome.

6. Group outer outlines of base and font outlines and use outline again for the outer cut.

7. Use cut path or select bit for cut as wanted and make sure to set your tabs.

Like Steve, I would prefer to use a 3d program for better control and more options. It can be the designer 3d add-on or a 3rd party 3d software (in my case blender).

- O

oscar
that is great but can't edite it if I want to change the name ,,in steve one I could
edit the name

oscarl48
08-18-2016, 01:34 PM
Henry,

You are right. This is a multi-step process for this method that you have to do for each new name. Once you are familiar with it, it only takes about a minute or two to create the pattern though.

As I mentioned, the 3d add-ons or 3rd party software packages are easier.

But you don't need them to get somewhat similar results. Its just a bit more work.

O

P.S. did a quick experiment and did my name. Took 4 minutes from start to finish. Would have been a lot quicker but I forgot how I did it the first time. lol. Short term memory is shot. I am going to go have another beer. Day off work so enjoying it. I still have not opened the little water bottle yet but I am sure it will be by the end of the day.

SteveNelson46
08-18-2016, 01:48 PM
Henry,

I posted the example so you could click on each part and see how it was built. To change the name you will have to start from scratch. The size of the sign and the base is determined by the size and font you choose. The font in the example is "Snap ITC" and I used the 3D tools for the puffing but you can make the sign without the 3D tools. Everything will be flat but it will still look pretty good.

henry1
08-18-2016, 01:55 PM
Thx guys will practise on this thx again

oscarl48
08-18-2016, 01:58 PM
Steve,

Forgot to say thanks for starting the thread. Very cool project.

Oscar

henry1
08-18-2016, 02:06 PM
I would like to know the fonts you were using I don't seem to have it thx

oscarl48
08-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Henry,

It was Snap ITC.

SteveNelson46
08-18-2016, 02:32 PM
Henry,

Here it is in version 2. It is too big to upload to the forum but you can download it from this link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jR3LNRxqJeZUp0elNnc3Awd1k/view?usp=sharing

The font is "Snap ITC" and I think it came with windows.

henry1
08-21-2016, 06:31 PM
Henry,

Here it is in version 2. It is too big to upload to the forum but you can download it from this link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jR3LNRxqJeZUp0elNnc3Awd1k/view?usp=sharing

The font is "Snap ITC" and I think it came with windows.

work out great
thank you steve and oscar for the help and burg

oscarl48
08-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Project tip:

For anyone attempting this project, you can really spiffy up this type of design. The base is a blank canvas for your creativity. If the person has a specific love of something you can create a theme for them on that section. Texture it up!

I wear a Stetson and cowboy boots so picked this theme for me.

Enclosing the stone wall base for your project building startup.

oscarl48
08-26-2016, 09:51 PM
I've gotten a few questions on my explanation of how to do the project. They were poor instructions at best.

Not sure if this is any better but made a quick tutorial. Please let me know if it makes a little bit more sense than my explanation.

Once you have done it successfully it becomes really easy but you do have to figure it all out at least once.

Please let me know if there are any glaring errors and I can clean them up. As always use your tools safely and use tabs where needed!!

- O