PDA

View Full Version : Forum access issues once you click on the "F connect" button at top of page

fwharris
08-14-2016, 11:45 AM
Last week I started having issues with connecting into the forum. After clicking on my short cut my browser (Windows Edge) would eventually time out saying it could not connect do to issues of the link being redirected to many times. This would also happen when using the Firefox browser. This was happening on 3 different computers. What I have narrowed my problem down to was that some time/some how I had clicked on the "f connect" tab at the top of the screen. On one of my computers once I clicked on my forum short cut it would direct me to my facebook login pop up.

There was also on a few times that when I could get to the forum page with out being logged into the forum it would show that I was logged in. This shows up at the bottom of the forum page that shows number of users viewing the forum.

My issue would not go away even after clearing all cookies and browser history for both browsers. In my communications with Connie and my brother (he just got signed up on the forum as dwharris) I down loaded the Chrome browser. With Chrome I had no issues with getting into the forum at all, well until I clicked on the f connect again.

Has anyone ever had this issue that they know of after clicking on it? If so how did they clear it?

cestout
08-14-2016, 05:47 PM
I just open a browser (I dont't use Edge if I can help it) and get CarveWright from favorites/bookmarks and go to Forum. Never use f connect - wouldn't know how.
Clint

fwharris
08-14-2016, 06:18 PM
I just open a browser (I dont't use Edge if I can help it) and get CarveWright from favorites/bookmarks and go to Forum. Never use f connect - wouldn't know how.
Clint

I have my most visited sites on my book marks tool bar. As for using the f connect I highly discourage it. Ever since I foolishly (being PC) clicked on it I have had nothing but problems getting into the forum.

What I have found out is that when you do use it it adds an app to your fackebook profile and sets a cookie on your computer. I am going through the process still of finding everything else it does as well. I will update as I go along..

fwharris
08-14-2016, 06:53 PM
For the moment I think I have my problem fixed by removing the CarveWright apps in my Facebook settings. I can now come directly into the forum without any sign on issues and by checking the keep me logged in box I am auto logged in when I get here.

What a mind boggling ride this has been!

rmock
08-14-2016, 06:56 PM
I have been having this problem also, I had chrome and thought maybe that was it, so I tried firefox and still have the problem the only way I can get past the log in page is to use cc cleaner then continue.

rmock
08-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the facebook response. I have been getting the timeout redirect page saying something about facebook and to many redirects. I will also remove the apps.

fwharris
08-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the facebook response. I have been getting the timeout redirect page saying something about facebook and to many redirects. I will also remove the apps.

Glad, well not really, to know that I'm not alone on this issue. Hope this does help others out and also give the CarveWright folks a heads up when/if they get contacted about this issue. I did trade a few emails with Connie while trying to resolve the issue.

SteveNelson46
08-14-2016, 07:20 PM
For the moment I think I have my problem fixed by removing the CarveWright apps in my Facebook settings. I can now come directly into the forum without any sign on issues and by checking the keep me logged in box I am auto logged in when I get here.

What a mind boggling ride this has been!

Floyd,

To remove individual cookies in Firefox, click on the menu (3 bars icon in the upper right corner) and select "Options" and then "Privacy" on the left side. Scroll down about half way down the page and under the "History" category there will be an option to "remove individual cookies". It's pretty safe to remove a cookie that you are not sure of. It just means that you will have to re-enter the login info the next time you visit the page.

It's amazing how many cookies that you can accumulate. Periodically, I just remove them all and start over.

fwharris
08-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Floyd,

To remove individual cookies in Firefox, click on the menu (3 bars icon in the upper right corner) and select "Privacy" on the left side. Scroll down about half way down the page and under the "History" category there will be an option to "remove individual cookies". It's pretty safe to remove a cookie that you are not sure of. It just means that you will have to re-enter the login info the next time you visit the page.

Steve,

Thanks for sharing, hope it might help others out if they need to remove cookies. I can not count they number of times I did that. Firefox and Chrome allows one to remove individual cookies, Windows Edge does not. It is all or none in Edge and as I found out from looking at discussion boards there are plenty of others out there frustrated with not being able to do so.

The only true fix for my issue was the removing/disabling the app within Facebook.

SteveNelson46
08-14-2016, 07:49 PM
I am not an "Edge" fan. I have always considered Microsoft programs or apps superior to most. Not the case with Edge. It's buggy and lacking in functionality. With Windows 10 I used IE for a long time and then switched to Firefox with a lot fewer problems.

fwharris
08-14-2016, 09:13 PM
I am starting to be not a fan as well. I do use Firefox for most of my browsing but since I was convinced to try Chrome while trouble shooting I am liking it as well. I tried Chrome out years ago when it first came out but it was buggy at times and not much better than IE.

lynnfrwd
08-15-2016, 11:45 AM
I guess Edge is Windows 10 version of Internet Explorer? I've heard more complaints about Edge then IE and IE was bad enough.

fwharris
08-15-2016, 12:04 PM
I guess Edge is Windows 10 version of Internet Explorer? I've heard more complaints about Edge then IE and IE was bad enough.

You are correct! It is called Microsoft Edge but there is also Internet Explorer, With Win 10 IE is now version 11 and I am not even going to open it and get it going.

SteveNelson46
08-15-2016, 02:26 PM
Web browsers are difficult to write because most web site developers have their own idealistic concept of what a web browser should be or how it should perform. Microsoft provides a software development kit (SDK) to all developers. However, some developers are biased toward one platform or another and decide not to use some or all the function calls and pre-programing provided to them and write their own function calls to suite their program or web site better. Or so they think. This non-standard approach usually results in an interface that is unstable and that most users are not familiar with. Microsoft has top notch programmers and given that there are so many different computers and platforms I am truly amazed at how well their programs function. Unless a web site programmer is completely familiar with the Windows programming interface (almost all are not), choosing not to use their guidelines I would consider to be reckless and foolish. Everybody likes to bash big daddy though.

Internet Explorer has always been my "go to" browser. I liked it because most web sites used it as the standard. It was somewhat configurable, fairly easy to use, and was not written for a complete dummy. Most of the problems experienced were either caused by a company that didn't program their web site correctly or by a user that didn't understand how it was supposed to work. It was, and probably still is, the leading most used web browser in the world.

Firefox is good also. It is highly configurable. Especially if you know how to use the "About" pages. It was written by programmers that really knew what they were doing and has a very easy to use interface. Because it is an IE competitor there are many differences. Some are good, some are not but I think it's mostly a matter of preference. They also may have function calls that are not the same as in IE and can cause headaches for web site programmers.

I don't know that much about Chrome. I've used it a few times on my PC and on my phone but not enough to give a good evaluation.

As I said before, I am not an Edge fan. Anything new can be frustrating at first so I stuck with it for a month or so just to be sure I wasn't missing something. I think they tried to program it for a beginning user and left out some functionality for the sake of simplicity. I haven't used it in awhile so they may have changed some things but I found it frustrating and lacking in usability. Especially since most websites haven't really allowed for the new programming and function calls yet.

Overall, I use Firefox the most. It has its share of problems but they actively work on them and release updates frequently. Sometimes I will resort back to IE 11 when a website isn't behaving as expected just to see if it's the browser or the web site that has the problem. It couldn't possibly be me (LOL).

lynnfrwd
08-15-2016, 02:42 PM
I use Chrome all of the time. It has been very reliable.

cestout
08-15-2016, 03:20 PM
Norton Utilities keeps my cookies cleaned up. When I first got Win10 I tried Edge and Norton objected - said they could not protect me there. They hide IE so it is difficult to find it to pin the Task Bar. Some sites don't work well with IE and some don't work well with Fire Fox. I have Chrome but seldom use it. Edge is not IE. If you search with Cortina, she uses Edge - no choice.
Clint

lynnfrwd
08-23-2016, 03:11 PM
I had another customer with Facebook redirect issues, so I turned off the F connect (Facebook) option.

SharonB
08-23-2016, 03:56 PM
I've been fighting this issue for the last week or so. Finally got it solved last night. It's nice being able to log into the forum again.

rcdages
08-23-2016, 04:29 PM
I've been fighting this issue for the last week or so. Finally got it solved last night. It's nice being able to log into the forum again.

Was just able an hour ago to get back, due to the great help of Connie !!!!