PDA

View Full Version : What makes the cut motot not run?

cestout
08-03-2016, 03:00 PM
Shortly after replacing the brushes on my C machine, the motor failed to turn on bit instillation. I hooked the motor to AC and it worked fine, checked the cover switch for continuity, it was ok. I put it back together enough to install a bit and the motor turned ok. I started a project today and at about 60% got a Z failure. Went thru the install a bit to see if the motor turned and it didn't. I hooked the motor to AC and it worked fine, checked the cover switch for continuity, it was ok. I put it back together enough to install a bit and the motor did not turn. What do I check before ordering a controller?
Clint

fwharris
08-03-2016, 03:23 PM
The X termination board would be my first guess to look at.

cestout
08-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Is there anything that I can see. What do I look for or do I just replace it?
Clint

bergerud
08-03-2016, 05:02 PM
If the behavior is inconsistent, I would think it a bad connection as opposed to an electronic failure. Have you tried the cut motor test?

cestout
08-03-2016, 05:26 PM
Connected to AC, the cut motor runs. Motor is not the problem. How much is an X term board? It would be a pain to roll it with the one in my B machine.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
08-03-2016, 07:44 PM
The broken C1 Cap can cause this.... On the X Termination board.

And a Crimp connector needs to be re crimped at the motor connections.

I would put a "Seat Belt" on the cover on the Right Side.... Masking Tape applied when cover is up 1/4 so down it pulls cover toward the switch.:lol::wink::lol:

In my picture I did my left switch.

AL

cestout
08-03-2016, 09:18 PM
This is a C machine, my newer one- 800something hours. The C1 cap is solid and the switch is ok. (first thing I looked at.) I checked continuity from the X-Term board connector to the motor = ok.
thanks
Clint

ronboley
08-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Just got back from a trip. Working on my "motor won't run" problem again. Same thing...bench test motor its ok. I seem to have fixed the motor run problem by cutting ALL of the factory wire connectors out and soldering new solid connections in. BUT still wont carve due to other errors...ordering new ribbon cable today. Keep us posted as to what you find on your fix...I'll do same.

cestout
08-10-2016, 06:00 PM
I replaced the X-0term board and the motor started to turn and quit. Now nothing. In testing the controller seems to be doing everything correctly, so could the power supply be the problem? Should AC be sitting on the leads from to power supply at the X-term board?
Clint

cestout
08-10-2016, 06:12 PM
The answer is yes, there is 119 ac volts sitting there. So what is left?
Clint

cestout
08-10-2016, 07:54 PM
I Pulled everything apart and started over. Tested the motor out of the machine + ok (even removed and reinstalled the brushes). Hooked AC up to the cable from the X-Term board with the cover switch bypassed = ok. Put the cover on and did that test again = ok. Buttoned the cover up and plugged the AC to motor cable back up the X-term and put a board on to test - didn't put the bottom cover on yet because of Murphy's law. Spindle spun when it thought I put a bit in. Now put the bottom on and it is currently air carving to where it broke. I need this piece because the local mortuary just emailed an they nee 2 of urn I was making. Back in my old Com Tech days with the phone company we called this CCWF = came clear while fumbling.
Clint

ronboley
08-11-2016, 02:03 PM
So just curious...this means your machine is repaired and you are carving again? What is the final verdict on the source of the problem?

oscarl48
08-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Good. I didn't ask the first question. lol. I looked up "came clear while fumbling" but nothing came up so it must be specific industry jargon. There was a "came clear while testing" but wasn't completely sure if interchangeable.

Regardless hope everything is good to go now.

- O

lynnfrwd
08-11-2016, 03:00 PM
Down here in Texas, when something doesn't work right and then suddenly it does and you don't really know what you did to fix it, we say..."you just weren't holding your mouth right".

Mugsowner
08-11-2016, 05:28 PM
There are times when talking to it nice seems to help as well.

cestout
08-14-2016, 06:11 PM
The X-term board looked burned under R3. In the phone company we had CCWT and CCWF. CCWT could also be Retest ok, but you only tested it and it tested ok. CCWF is a hard problem the disappears mysteriously while you are trouble shooting. However, I learned a quick test of the motor from the X-term board. Remove the bottom and pull AC out connector - hang it out the side and stand the machine back up on blocks. Connect an AC cord to ( Twist the wires tight , stick one in each hole and tape it solidly together) this connector and plug it into a switched power strip. Bits removed and top of machine totally intact - turn the power on. If the motor runs, motor ok, cover switch ok, wiring ok. Trouble in X-term board, power supply, or controller. Power supply check is easy, there is 120V AC standing on the cable to the X-term board.
Clint

ronboley
08-15-2016, 03:45 PM
OK...so I know I'm pretty dense...I'm reading into ths that you performed all this testing, everything checked Ok, put the machine back together and you are carving happily away? So what caused the problem originally is a complete mystery? Did you replace the x-term board or controler?

I'm curious because I did identify two problems in my troubleshooting (all of the motor to machine push/pull connections and FFC cable damage). Replaced all of the push/pull connections with soldered connections and put in new FFC cable. Now the machine is working/carving.

Thinking of future issues should they arise.

Thanks!

lynnfrwd
08-15-2016, 04:03 PM
He replaced a burnt x-term board.