PDA

View Full Version : Check Cut Motor Fix (for some instances)

lynnfrwd
07-25-2016, 05:28 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/firmware-update/

normrichards
07-25-2016, 06:19 PM
I complain from time to time about LHR but I want to praise and thank them for making this firmware update work with designer basic.

Digitalwoodshop
07-25-2016, 07:12 PM
GREAT !!!!

Question... Do I need to do this to ALL Cards or does it update the Machine so I need to do it to all machines....

That would be a great answer to add to the instructions. A little engineering speak at the end to explain what we just did....

AL

bergerud
07-25-2016, 07:24 PM
What I did was to rename my old control.mwm control old.mwm and then rename the new one control.mwm and put it in the same subdir. That way it will become the new default, which is then easy to uploaded onto all cards.

rnichols
07-26-2016, 09:07 AM
bergerud, Thanks for the tip. It work for me. The download did not install correctly (maybe Operator error :D) Now if I can figure out for my how to get my desktop to recognize the card so I do not need copy the project over to my laptop to put on the card.

bergerud
07-26-2016, 09:30 AM
One can also just double click on the .mwm file wherever it was downloaded to and Designer will open and upload it to the card.

Digitalwoodshop
07-26-2016, 12:11 PM
I just talked to LHR software on a unrelated issue and asked about this.... (Not Correct) She said it updates the MACHINE so in my case, I would need to update the 4 machines as I place them back on line. Not correct) Only using one at the moment. They all have the CCM.

Updated EDIT: It was the way I asked the question that lead to confusion... I interpreted it wrong and a updated post below is corrected to "It lives on EACH CARD"... So we will need to update all of our cards. Ultimately it does update the firmware on the CW computer but it as in the update lives on each card... My BAD.. :)

THANK YOU LHR Software for the fix !!!!

AL

xchief807
07-26-2016, 02:01 PM
will this fix the problem with centerline text. When you just do centerline text you get the check cut motor message.
Kevin

fwharris
07-26-2016, 02:25 PM
will this fix the problem with centerline text. When you just do centerline text you get the check cut motor message.
Kevin

Yes it should...

Some newer CarveWright ‘C’ series machines, as well as new cutmotors sold by LHR Technologies, may report a problem with the cutmotor when a project is started. The message, which reads, “Check Cut Motor”, is a result of a new manufacturing technique on the cutmotors which has made them more efficient than their predecessors.
This updated firmware modifies the cutmotor sensing algorithm to account for the efficiency of the new cutmotors.
The firmware is backwards compatible with Designer Basic, version 1.187, and can be used with it.

xchief807
07-26-2016, 02:58 PM
so do we have to do all of our cards or just one and it will update the machine?

bergerud
07-26-2016, 03:00 PM
.... She said it updates the MACHINE so in my case, I would need to update the 4 machines as I place them back on line.

AL

I do not think the new firmware actually alters the machines, it is just new firmware for the machine to run on just like any new firmware that comes with Designer upgrades. The machine will run with whatever firmware is on the card. One just needs to update all of one's cards.

lynnfrwd
07-26-2016, 03:15 PM
I was wrong. Firmware lives on the card, not the machine. Update each card.

Sorry!!!

Digitalwoodshop
07-26-2016, 03:21 PM
I was wrong. Firmware lives on the card, not the machine. Update each card.

Sorry!!!

EXCELLENT !!!! Thank you for the update.... Edited my earlier post.

AL

xchief807
07-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Ok thank you I will update both cards

DickB
07-27-2016, 07:40 AM
"The message, which reads, “Check Cut Motor”, is a result of a new manufacturing technique on the cutmotors which has made them more efficient than their predecessors."

I get this often with my B machine. Does this mean my "old" motor is "more efficient"? ;)

RMarkey
07-27-2016, 10:17 AM
"The message, which reads, “Check Cut Motor”, is a result of a new manufacturing technique on the cutmotors which has made them more efficient than their predecessors."

I get this often with my B machine. Does this mean my "old" motor is "more efficient"? ;)

Your cutmotor could be:
1) Not spinning up fast enough/consuming too much power
2) Spinning up too fast/consuming too little power (fixed)
3) Has a broken/failing sensor

Choose one. :-)

DickB
07-27-2016, 12:26 PM
I choose 2 that means it's fixed! I will have to give it a try.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

bergerud
07-27-2016, 01:22 PM
I think 2 is the new motor case which is the stated reason for the fix. I believe the check cut motor routine has been removed from the firmware. No more checking means no more CCM message in either case 1,2 or, 3.

DickB
07-27-2016, 01:39 PM
I was trying to be funny.

I could have an intermittent sensor problem. The sensor test checks out fine every time that I test it, and I don't get this message on every Centerline, vector cut, or cutout; the problem is intermittent. I did get some new information. I thought that the check ment a speed issue, but I was not aware it could also be a current issue. For diagnostic purposes it would be good to know which of the two conditions is causing the check so as to zero in on a fix. I could be my sensor, and it could also be that my motor is drawing too much power on occasion. That makes sense to me; as the commutator gets worn I could see this happening. I have somewhere over 1000 hours on my cut motor.

DickB
07-27-2016, 01:42 PM
I believe the check cut motor routine has been removed from the firmware.
I don't think so:

"consuming too little power (fixed)"
"a new manufacturing technique on the cutmotors which has made them more efficient" (less power)"

CarverJerry
07-27-2016, 01:54 PM
When I installed the firmware I got a box that asked if I wanted it to be my default firmware, I said yes but it failed to install. So I tried again and choose the No thank you button, it installed. I just hope this works out ok, guess I'll find out next time I do a carving, especially centerline text, thats the only time I've gotten a check cut motor error.

bergerud
07-27-2016, 01:58 PM
My understanding of the cut motor test was that it used the rpm sensor to test whether the motor could attain a certain rpm within a small time interval. Failing this test then causes the firmware to abandon the speed control and revert to a table look up. Even though this test may fail over and over, the CCM message only displays once per boot up.

Apparently, spinning up too fast also gives a fail?? Hmm...

cestout
07-27-2016, 07:17 PM
I only have old motors. Will the upgrade make a difference for me?
Clint

bergerud
07-27-2016, 07:32 PM
I only have old motors. Will the upgrade make a difference for me?
Clint

Without the CCM code, you will not get the CCM anymore. If you were annoyed with the message once in awhile, you will be happy that the upgrade has done away with it. It is not that big of a deal, but it is something which users have complained about for years. Now, for one reason or another, it is fixed.

Digitalwoodshop
07-27-2016, 07:35 PM
I wonder where cut motor current sensing takes place?

AL

bergerud
07-27-2016, 07:41 PM

AL

I do not believe it does. Except for the speed test in question, I do not think machine even knows if the motor is running!

gwizpro
07-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Hmmm, Tried to do the update and I get this error....

I did the download from LHR and used the Choose button and located the downloaded file and clicked it...

??????
Tom

bergerud
07-28-2016, 12:13 PM
This is because you tried to make it the default. For some reason that does not work. It may have to be in the right subdir.

I renamed the file control.mwm and put in the CW program subdir. Then it automatically becomes the default.

fwharris
07-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Hmmm, Tried to do the update and I get this error....

I did the download from LHR and used the Choose button and located the downloaded file and clicked it...

??????
Tom

I upgraded last night with 3.xx and had no issue. Is this because you are using 1.187?

DickB
07-28-2016, 02:27 PM

AL
I imagine one could deduce the current by knowing the duty the duty cycle of the applied voltage.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

gwizpro
07-28-2016, 03:12 PM
The version I am using is 3.102 Designer.....

bergerud
07-28-2016, 03:29 PM
I think the problem is simply that one cannot choose a .mwm file to be the default unless it has the name control.mwm.

Either:

1. Just double click on the downloaded firmware file. (Designer will open and flash the card.)

2. Follow the LHR procedure but push the "No Thanks" button instead of the "Make Default" button.

3. Change the name of the file to control.mwm and replace the one in the Designer program directory. (It will then become the newest version default all will be good.)

Rob Mulgrew
07-28-2016, 09:02 PM
I do not think machine even knows if the motor is running!
I can say that is correct. As many of you know for a temporary period I ran my cut motor manually when the controller went bad. I had nothing from the machine connected to the motor and for centerline carves it still gave the "check cut motor" error.

RMarkey
07-29-2016, 02:50 PM
I imagine one could deduce the current by knowing the duty cycle of the applied voltage.

Ding ding ding!!! (sort of)

Anyhow,

If you double-click the firmware file, designer will ask you if you want to make it default. This will fail if designer doesn't have privileges to write to the installation directory. You would need to run designer "as administrator" to be able to do this.

I don't necessarily recommend this because some people run multiple versions of designer, and could get confused as to which firmware exists in each designer's installation directory. It's just confusing.

This is why we have always released the entire installation package as one entity.

Also, the cut motor error message still exists if it doesn't get up to, or hold its speed correctly.

cestout
07-30-2016, 02:26 PM
It is in my downloads file. I think I will just let it sit there with designer versions from 1.185 to currant.
Clint

DickB
08-15-2016, 05:02 PM
I've been doing considerable Centerline text, vector cuts, and cutouts lately, which more often than not gave me a Check Cut Motor, but since installing this firmware I haven't gotten one. Even though the fix was intended for C machine/new motors, it appears to have made a difference on my older machine as well. Fingers crossed.

mikemi
08-15-2016, 07:04 PM
I've been doing considerable Centerline text, vector cuts, and cutouts lately, which more often than not give me a Check Cut Motor, but since installing this firmware I haven't gotten one. Even thought the fix was intended for C machine/new motors, it appears to have made a difference on my older machine as well. Fingers crossed.

Same results here. Thanks to the software writers/programmers.

Mike

sshelle
08-21-2016, 08:05 AM
my cut motor stopped working yesterday and I began reading these posts, we have a relatively new machine from late last year, about 150 hours on the motor, and are running 1.187.10870 according to the information I get on the card. Is there a software fix that I should download? Should I discuss with carvewright before taking any action? And should I be considering 3.102 rather than the 1.187?

bergerud
08-21-2016, 10:38 AM
Your cut motor not working is purely a hardware problem. This thread about "a cut motor fix" is only about altering a cut motor rpm test to not give a "check cut motor" message.

If your cut motor quit, you should start trouble shooting the hardware. First, do you have a DC which could be holding the right cover switch open?

sshelle
08-21-2016, 10:59 AM
not sure what a DC is, but can say that the machine homes, asks for bit change, does not spin up when moving back to home position and then trys to start carving without the spindle turning if allowed. This suggests to me that the right cover switch is ok because it would not allow movement of spindle head to tool change position and back home if it were thinking the cover was open, am I correct on this? thanks

can i put a volt meter into the power too the motor connection to see if power is going to the motor, in other words, if no power this is software or some other hardware issue, not the motor

bergerud
08-21-2016, 11:16 AM
DC means dust collector. Some DCs can hold up the cover and stop the motor. There are two cover switches. The left one tells the controller to stop just like pressing the stop button. The right switch is a safety switch which disconnects the cut motor.

Testing the right switch and whether the cut motor is getting power would be the first thing to check.

sshelle
08-21-2016, 12:02 PM
by carefully wiggling things around and doing voltmeter tests, etc. it just now "magically" came back to life! (at least in test mode, I'll try to cut something after lunch) It's troubling that I really don't know why it quit to start with but can tell from forum postings these things happen . . . thanks again for the input