PDA

View Full Version : need some info about the K of C symbol

myshop1044
07-15-2016, 10:29 AM
I was ask to do some plaques ,a little later on, and not being familiar with their symbol,
is it a standard symbol or is it special for each different council ?
I have attached a picture I found, if anyone could give me some advice, it would be great.
I did not see any in pattern store.
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5032dc3d84ae7fae2e69ab42/t/53028172e4b016fa7cacec1f/1392673138972/kofc_logo.gif
Thanks ahead of time.
Perry B

lynnfrwd
07-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Ask them for a high resolution image of their logo. Someone has to have it in order to do printing.

Proctorw
07-15-2016, 03:08 PM
Perry, I did these a while back. 81376

myshop1044
07-15-2016, 03:18 PM
That looks nice .

bergerud
07-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Here is a better graphic if someone else wants to give it a go. Also a Shadermap ptn of it.

RogerB
07-15-2016, 07:48 PM
This is the one I use. Hope this helps.81381

myshop1044
07-15-2016, 08:05 PM
thanks all for the interest

DickB
07-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Perry,

Here is a plaque that I did a while ago. I created the logo in two parts for better detail. You can of course copy and paste the logo patterns to any project.

The logo is common to all councils.

myshop1044
07-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Thanks Dick, what is your 2 part process?

chkorte
07-16-2016, 05:00 PM
I did this one a while back

DickB
07-16-2016, 05:06 PM
Perry,
This was a while back, but from my (rusty) memory this was the process (two major steps with lots of small steps to each):

Logo Background

Find a high-res logo on the K of C web site.
Open it in paint.net.
Convert to black and white.
Use the Paint Bucket tool to change the various shades of gray to correspond to the desired carving heights (depths).
Use the Select tool to select around the center ax, anchor, etc. and paste to a new image (for later use).
Back to the base image, paint over the ax etc. in the center a uniform shade of gray. Save it. Import to Designer as a pattern using Pattern Editor.

Logo center

Back to paint.net with the center, use the select tool to delete the background from the ax etc.
Save the image. Import into Pattern Editor and make a pattern.
Place the pattern in a new "working" mpc.
Outline the pattern.
Delete the pattern.
Apply 3D tools (puffing) to each individual outlined area (see the attached K of C.mpc and screen shot).
Group the outlined areas. Select the group and use the Make Pattern tool to make into a pattern.

This yielded the foreground and background patterns. These two patterns could be joined into one using the Make Pattern Designer tool. Note that I used Medium Draft on the background and none in the foreground however in the final mpc.

If you want to make patterns, I recommend Pattern Editor and 3D tools. The neat thing about the tools is that you can group stuff and make it all into one pattern. The patterns can be used with any version of Designer and users need have the 3D tools software add on even though those tools were used to make the pattern.

BTW this is often an iterative process. For example, I may set heights in paint.net, import the image and make a pattern, then see that the heights need tweaking. So it's back to paint.net to modify the image. I usually save several versions of works in progress, so that I can go back and take another tack if need be. Storage is cheap. (I used to work for Seagate.)

If I may say so myself, of the logos posted so far mine has the most detail. That's not to brag, but merely to say that in my opinion to make a really good pattern it takes time and perhaps the use of many different tools.

Maybe I should make a video.

81384 81387