PDA

View Full Version : Mitered corner box assembly

DickB
07-07-2016, 09:44 AM
How do you assemble small boxes with mitered corners? I'm using Ryobi Detail Biscuits for this box with compound mitered corners, but the machine has been long discontinued (although mine still works fine) and I'm looking for alternatives.

normrichards
07-07-2016, 11:01 AM
I have made many similar boxes. I cut a piece of wood as square as possible to fit inside the box. I place the piece inside mid way down and then I use a strap or also called a band clamp to clamp the box together. sometimes I supplement that with quick release bar clamps especially if I need help squaring the box after measuring corner to corner. On boxes that I am ok with the look I will use splines to help strengthen the corner. Splines also can add to the look of some boxes although I have made the same box you show in your picture and I would not use splines with that one.

DickB
07-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info. It may be hard to see in the photo - I should have taken photos before assembly - but the sides of this box are angled inwards towards the top at 10 degrees, so your method would need to be modified. I was wondering more specifically what if anything - such as splines - are being used to reinforce the joints.

normrichards
07-07-2016, 12:24 PM
I have made the exact same box with the angled top and thats where I used the straps and the piece of wood which I set inside just until the glue dried up. I believe I got the mpc from the pattern depot. I should add, I used wax paper inside to protect from glue squeeze out gluing the wood inside. I did not use splines because I thought they would detract from the look.

SteveNelson46
07-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Check out the Lock Miter router bits for use on a router table. Lots of videos on You Tube. There is even a technique to cut a lock miter joint using a table saw and a 45 degree bevel cutter on the router table or shaper. I like the Whiteside router bits because they seem to cut smoother without chatter if used correctly.

DickB
07-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Steve, I have a lock miter bit and have used it. The compound miter on this box is a bit less than 45 degrees so that bit would not work in this application. not sure it could work with the curved sides of this box either.

SteveNelson46
07-08-2016, 11:11 PM
Steve, I have a lock miter bit and have used it. The compound miter on this box is a bit less than 45 degrees so that bit would not work in this application. not sure it could work with the curved sides of this box either.

It was kind of a wild thought. What I usually use is my Porter Cable 557 biscuit joiner. I like it because it will accommodate the smaller "FF" (face frame) size biscuits that most of the other brands don't have. You have to change the standard 4" cutting wheel to the 2" cutting wheel but it works great for jewelry boxes. IMHO I think this plate joiner is better than most because it is easier to adjust, references off of the toe end of the miter, is more accurate, and doesn't need any extra spacers to do beveled miter joints.

cestout
07-10-2016, 03:44 PM
I make lots of boxes and usually just glue the together. never had a problem with the joints failing. I have use splines - 1/4" wide strips of 1/8" plywood - but seldom. I have band clamps with corner pieces (6 of them, enough for 3 boxes at a time. I think my Princes and Queen boxes have instructions on making string clamps.
Clint