PDA

View Full Version : Head way off level

raye321
07-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Hi. I noticed that the head wasnt raising right. I took off the bottom and found the plastic where the retaining screw goes in to hold the shaft that raises the head was broke on the opposite side where the crank is. As I repaired it the head moved on one side up alot higher. Now the head is so off level I cant move it at all. How can I get it back level. I dont think any of the instruction on how to level the head will help much here. The head is to too far off. Measured from the back outfeed table the right side(side where the crank is) is 4 1/2" up from the outfeed table and the other side is 3 1/4". Really jammed in there.

mtylerfl
07-03-2016, 03:01 PM
I think you'll need to loosen everything up, un-jam it, then proceed with the PDF instructions for leveling the head, as normal.

The thing that concerns me is the broken part you mentioned. Not sure if the head will hold level or not...I sure hope so.

Here's some links you may need:
DOWNLOADABLE PDF INSTRUCTIONS
Checking and Adjusting the Head Pressure (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_adjust_head_pressure.pdf) (Overall head pressure doc that does not include the leveling but does include the guide rods)
Leveling the Head (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_level_head.pdf) (head leveling only)
Adjust Vertical Rods (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_adjust_vertical_rods.pdf) (Adjusting the vertical guide rods only)

raye321
07-03-2016, 04:26 PM
I think you'll need to loosen everything up, un-jam it, then proceed with the PDF instructions for leveling the head, as normal.

The thing that concerns me is the broken part you mentioned. Not sure if the head will hold level or not...I sure hope so.

Here's some links you may need:
DOWNLOADABLE PDF INSTRUCTIONS
Checking and Adjusting the Head Pressure (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_adjust_head_pressure.pdf) (Overall head pressure doc that does not include the leveling but does include the guide rods)
Leveling the Head (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_level_head.pdf) (head leveling only)
Adjust Vertical Rods (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_adjust_vertical_rods.pdf) (Adjusting the vertical guide rods only)

When you say loosen everything up such as?

raye321
07-03-2016, 04:30 PM
When you say loosen everything up,, such as? Take the bolts out of the post bottom and top? Yeah the plastic broke off where the screw goes in to hold the shaft. put a metal brace across it then screwed it into the base. If I can get the head level it goes up and down fairly easy so it should hold.

mtylerfl
07-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Take it apart and/or loosen whatever it takes to un-jam the head. Once that's done, then you can try leveling, aligning, etc.

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2016, 07:42 PM
The Jacking Rod on the far side near the X Gearbox has a hole in it. Use a Allen Wrench through the hole to un jam everything... On the X Gear Box Dust cover it even has a arrow to show what way to turn it for down.

Once you get it close, you can use 2 strips of paper on 2 boards on each side and crank down. Tug Paper, if one comes out and other does not. the out side is high...

And you can use a bit and touch the board paper area and read the Z Data too.

Good Luck,

AL

mtylerfl
07-03-2016, 08:52 PM
Not sure that's going to work since the head is jammed about an inch off-kilter. It did occur to me that the part broke due to trying brute force to lower the head because it was cranked too high though!

Nothing to lose, trying the manual crank down, I guess. Maybe he'll get lucky.

raye321
07-04-2016, 09:58 AM
Tried the hole on the jack rod but that wont work. The head is too far out of level. No brute forced used and it wasnt too high. The head always went up and down easily. This happened when I noticed the head was slipping a little when raising it. I took the bottom cover off and found the plastic hole where the screw goes in to hold the shaft was broken. As I tried to repair it, I must have moved the crank up while the gear was disengaged on the one side causing it to be that far out of level.

bergerud
07-04-2016, 10:08 AM
Maybe if you loosen the screws under the four guide posts, it will "unbind".

mtylerfl
07-04-2016, 10:56 AM
Tried the hole on the jack rod but that wont work. The head is too far out of level. No brute forced used and it wasnt too high. The head always went up and down easily. This happened when I noticed the head was slipping a little when raising it. I took the bottom cover off and found the plastic hole where the screw goes in to hold the shaft was broken. As I tried to repair it, I must have moved the crank up while the gear was disengaged on the one side causing it to be that far out of level.

Apologies about the brute force statement. Didn't say you necessarily did that, but it certainly did cross my mind as a possibility. No matter how it happened- we just want to help you get back up and running. As I mentioned and as Dan mentioned, loosen things up until you can get that head un-jammed. That's "step one".

Rob Mulgrew
07-04-2016, 12:25 PM
I had a similar problem where the gear under the machine slipped on the one side causing the head to be out of level. You need to take out the tie rod underneath and then turn the one side back down or the lead screw back up. Here is the PDF for how to do this.
http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_level_head.pdf

mtylerfl
07-04-2016, 12:56 PM
Yes, Rob. That was one of the three PDF links I already provided for him earlier in the thread.

Rob Mulgrew
07-04-2016, 01:32 PM
Oops. I missed that you already provided that. I just had this problem with the head being 1/4" higher on the one side so I responded quickly without thoroughly reading every other post.

raye321
07-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Ok guys, thanks I will try loosening the post bolts, take off the shaft. Let you know if it works. If it does I will have to find a way to hold the shaft up on the side where the plastic broke

mtylerfl
07-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Oops. I missed that you already provided that. I just had this problem with the head being 1/4" higher on the one side so I responded quickly without thoroughly reading every other post.

I do that pretty often myself. Don't worry about it. We are all very eager to help our fellow carver!

raye321
07-05-2016, 03:31 PM
I managed to get the head level. Then I needed to repair the plastic base where the screw goes in to hold up the shaft. I tried to JB weld the broken piece but that didnt work to well. So I made a brace from a strip of steel about 3/8" wide. Cranked the head up and down a few times but the head didnt want to stay level. I readjusted it and it seems to be staying level. I ran one project so far and it went ok. Hope it continues. Thanks Guys.