PDA

View Full Version : Texturing Contours

PSQRD
07-03-2016, 01:49 PM
8125381254I've been asked to replicate some hand grips for a friend which is very doable with the 3d scanning probe after a few trials and errors on double sided carves. The issue I'm having is he has asked if I can make smooth grips as well as different textures. For the smooth grips I just raise the carving region and sand the wood to a smooth finish accordingly no issue there, but for textures such as the ones in designer pro they are only applied to parts of the contour on the pattern. Is there any way to get a texture to conform to an extruded shape in designer or other software so that it flows with the shape itself similar to how centerline text can conform? I can post some pics for examples is this isn't making sense. Any help would be appreciated!
-Paul

mtylerfl
07-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Hi Paul,

i think I'm following what you want to do.

Make a a pattern from whatever texture you want and then you can use it as an "overlay" on top of your grip contours (the texture PTN will follow the contours)

PSQRD
07-03-2016, 06:17 PM
I attempted what you mentioned, not sure if I'm not making sense or understanding what you are saying. I'm pretty comfortable with the software but this has been something that has puzzled me for some time and I've just put it on the backburner. Aside from reworking the entire image in grayscale I'm not sure what to do, even in grayscale the height of the texture would have to vary. I feel like there's a possible simple solution and I'm really overthinking this.

SteveNelson46
07-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Is this what you are looking for? If it is, use these steps:

Outline the pattern.
Use the resulting path or draw your own shape and "Select Material" from the tools menu. I used "Weathered Wood".
Merge additive.

PSQRD
07-03-2016, 07:04 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head Steve! I appreciate it, I overlooked the additive feature because in the past I have had it drastically change the contour when using multiple patterns, with the texture though it seems to work well. I appreciate the help Micheal and Steve!

SteveNelson46
07-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Glad I could help!

mtylerfl
07-04-2016, 07:26 AM
Yes, for an overlay, you need to use additive merge. (The default merge setting in Designer is "merge".)