PDA

View Full Version : inlays?

jaustin
06-25-2016, 11:14 PM
Does the Project Designer PRO 3 have a inlay feature?
Searching thru the form and really don't see much on doing inlay work.

Trying to find more reason to upgrade.

fwharris
06-25-2016, 11:54 PM
Unfortunately it does not. Pocket cuts "was" one of the features that was suppose to be in 2.0 but it got put on the back burners (I think it got burnt up) to get some of the other features finished up for the release that year at the conference. It has been requested several times to be done since then.

Inlays can be done with the CW but it does take a couple of test cuts to get the two parts to fit up correctly. The pocket has to be drawn up manually by using the line tool.

cestout
06-27-2016, 01:13 PM
I have done inlays. Carve out an area the shape you need 1/8" deep (no feather0. Then outline the shape and vector cut the outline 1/8" deep with the 1/16" cutting bit to square up the edges. Copy the outline to another MPC and cut it out using the 1/16" cutting bit with a -1/16 inset on your inlay material.
Clint

NLAlston
06-10-2017, 10:35 PM
I have done inlays. Carve out an area the shape you need 1/8" deep (no feather0. Then outline the shape and vector cut the outline 1/8" deep with the 1/16" cutting bit to square up the edges. Copy the outline to another MPC and cut it out using the 1/16" cutting bit with a -1/16 inset on your inlay material.
Clint

Hi Clint, and thank you for this enlightening info.

I realize that this, from you, is going back to nearly a year ago, but I'd like to ask something. I have owned a Carvewright C-machine for the better part of 3-1/2 years, now, and had done very, very little with it. Now, I have become extremely interested in turning pens. At this point, I wish to elevate my pens to a higher level, by doing some inlay work on them.

Do you think that pen blanks might be a bit too small to even THINK about journeying down the inlay path, with them? I usually work with 3/4"x 3/4"x 5" blanks, and would love to inlay some crosses in a number of my pens. I hope to find that it WOULD be possible, with my machine.

God Bless,
Nathan