PDA

View Full Version : New Shop is Open

Bigtyme
06-16-2016, 08:24 AM
Not sure if this is the right spot to post this, but it sure has been a project. I retired from my day job in January and we are moving from lower Michigan back near my hometown in the west end of Michigan's Upper Peninsula some 550 miles away. I had to figure out what to do about my shop, so we were able to buy a building on the main street of my hometown a couple of years ago. After spending the last couple of years re-doing the building, I hired movers to help with the shop equipment a few weeks ago and I have been working on getting everything set up since then. Yesterday was the official opening of JDM WoodWorks new location in Bessemer, MI. It has been a long time coming and I hope this is the last time the equipment has to be moved. I already have a number of orders to work on and more coming in all the time. I guess so much for retirement :) ... My wife (who does all my finishing) has her own space which she loves and we have been riding in together the last few weeks getting it ready to open. I am looking forward to getting both of my CWs cranked up and running. I know this new chapter in our lives is going to be a blast. I just hope I can day a day off every now and again to go fishing...

Old Salt
06-16-2016, 09:09 AM
Nice shop look for lots of work.
like the dust colletion

rcdages
06-16-2016, 09:42 AM
The very best to you.
Your New Shop is great looking.

lynnfrwd
06-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Not sure if this is the right spot to post this, but it sure has been a project. I retired from my day job in January and we are moving from lower Michigan back near my hometown in the west end of Michigan's Upper Peninsula some 550 miles away. I had to figure out what to do about my shop, so we were able to buy a building on the main street of my hometown a couple of years ago. After spending the last couple of years re-doing the building, I hired movers to help with the shop equipment a few weeks ago and I have been working on getting everything set up since then. Yesterday was the official opening of JDM WoodWorks new location in Bessemer, MI. It has been a long time coming and I hope this is the last time the equipment has to be moved. I already have a number of orders to work on and more coming in all the time. I guess so much for retirement :) ... My wife (who does all my finishing) has her own space which she loves and we have been riding in together the last few weeks getting it ready to open. I am looking forward to getting both of my CWs cranked up and running. I know this new chapter in our lives is going to be a blast. I just hope I can day a day off every now and again to go fishing...

This shop is awesome. This is what I want to do with my husband, once we (semi) retire!

normrichards
06-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Congratulations and hope you stay busy and enjoy your new business!

fwharris
06-16-2016, 10:25 AM
John,

That looks like a great set up that you and the wife should enjoy spending lots of time it.

Bigtyme
06-16-2016, 10:38 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. It has been a labor of love for both of us and it will be a great place for us to go to stay busy. Would rather be busy than the alternative. Given that I spent most of my business career behind a desk, my Doc ought to be happy about the change in my former sedentary life style... :)

want2b
06-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Congrats on your big move. Looks like you've got things set up and ready to go. I think you'll enjoy the change from the desk to shop. Did it a while back
and my doc was very happy. Dropped 35 lbs, my cholesterol and blood pressure. Best of luck on your new venture.
Rick H

Durtdawber
06-16-2016, 10:56 AM
Wow, that is a great looking shop. Congrats on pulling the trigger and making the change. Wish I had the (blank) to do it!

What size dust collector did you put in to power all those connections?

Donnie

Sliverfoot
06-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Congratulations on starting the next chapter.
Great shop!

Bigtyme
06-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Want2B, 35 pounds would help me for sure, but more like 60 would be better :) ...

DirtDawber, My dust collector is a 2 hp cyclone from Penn State. It is in the garage area in the back of the shop. I used a fair amount of 6" plastic to keep up the efficiency. I haven't had a problem except I replaced the canister pleated filter with a dust bag. The pleated filter eventually plugs and I couldn't find a way to clean it. the felt bag can be thrown in a washer (at a laundromat :) ). I use an X-10 remote that hooks to my apron and controls everything just fine.

Silverfoot...thank you very much

ktjwilliams
06-23-2016, 07:52 PM
Good Luck ...

Bigtyme
06-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Thanks, KT!! Appreciate it. Seems like I am getting up earlier each day to come in to the shop. The work keeps coming in, so having trouble finding time to get into trouble...

edsingletary
06-25-2016, 04:30 PM
This will not work, way to clean. Guess im just jealous. Good luck on retirement.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

tierman
06-25-2016, 05:56 PM
John, Congrats to you and your wife on the move to God's country and the new shop. It looks terrific! You're going to love it! Work will actually become fun and life is waaaaaaaay more enjoyable "Up Nort" as the upers say. You are not that far from me so I think that my bride and I will be taking a ride and surprise you in the very near future. Again, congratulations and enjoy the clean air!

Underdog
07-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Looks great. Like the shop setup. Congratulations and good luck.

You need to carve yourself a sign!

Bigtyme
07-22-2016, 05:05 PM
Thank you for the comments... I agree about the sign, but right now both of my machines are working non stop on customer projects... Need to make hay while the sun shines....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2016, 07:37 PM
Very Impressive !!!!

Good Luck and make LOTS or Wood Chips and MONEY !!!!

AL

Bigtyme
07-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Thank you, Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk