PDA

View Full Version : centerline text check cutmotor

xchief807
06-14-2016, 08:17 AM
When I do just a centerline text no carving I get check cut motor and the motor spins up then slows down. I hit continue and it carves fine. I understand this is a flaw in the machine. When I do a carve it works fine. Is their a fix for this or is it something we have to live with.

Thanks Kevin

fwharris
06-14-2016, 10:33 AM
No fix in the plan that I am aware of.

normrichards
06-14-2016, 11:09 AM
When I do just a centerline text no carving I get check cut motor and the motor spins up then slows down. I hit continue and it carves fine. I understand this is a flaw in the machine. When I do a carve it works fine. Is their a fix for this or is it something we have to live with.

Thanks Kevin

This has been an issue since centerline came out is what I was told. Unfortunately after designer 2.0 came out there is no more fixes for anything. almost no updates unless it is a new version that costs $200 or more if you have never updated. 1.87 owners have no chance of any fixes what so ever.

fwharris
06-14-2016, 11:21 AM
This has been an issue since centerline came out is what I was told. Unfortunately after designer 2.0 came out there is no more fixes for anything. almost no updates unless it is a new version that costs $200 or more if you have never updated. 1.87 owners have no chance of any fixes what so ever.

True in that there will no longer be any support for 1.87 since they went to a new build/format for future versions of the software. Not quite true about any "free" updates to current software version for any found bugs or enhancements.

normrichards
06-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Since October 2014 there has been no fixes or updates other than adding a new bit to the available bits.

fwharris
06-14-2016, 11:55 AM
Since October 2014 there has been no fixes or updates other than adding a new bit to the available bits.

Attached is the software change log... http://www.carvewright.com/assets/downloads/readme_3_102.txt

SteveNelson46
06-14-2016, 11:59 AM

It does seem a bit odd. Obviously, they don't seem to be concerned about it.

EDIT: BTW, the no updates policy applies to ver. 2 also.

normrichards
06-14-2016, 12:47 PM
It does seem a bit odd. Obviously, they don't seem to be concerned about it.

EDIT: BTW, the no updates policy applies to ver. 2 also.

That's my point, if you buy version 3, once they come out with version 4 your update days are over, even if an issue is identified. You can buy version 3, a month later version 4 can come out and you are no longer receiving updates. Most companies at least give you a few years of support. Here your support is a gamble on when you buy the update and when the new one comes out. There is no advance notice or regular schedule.

SteveNelson46
06-14-2016, 03:56 PM
That's my point, if you buy version 3, once they come out with version 4 your update days are over, even if an issue is identified. You can buy version 3, a month later version 4 can come out and you are no longer receiving updates. Most companies at least give you a few years of support. Here your support is a gamble on when you buy the update and when the new one comes out. There is no advance notice or regular schedule.

When a new version is released most companies offer a free upgrade to the new version within a specific time frame. Sometimes up to a year. This is the case for all Vectric products. (Aspire, VCarve Pro, PhotoVcarve, etc.)

EDIT: I just upgraded Aspire version 8 to 8.5. It has several new features and tools with some improvements to the existing tools. It was completely free for all who owned version 8.

xchief807
06-14-2016, 06:35 PM
so I am running Designer 3.0 I guess this is normal with 3.0 I know other people have had this problem. I wish they would come out with a fix or patch for this.

SteveNelson46
06-14-2016, 06:45 PM
so I am running Designer 3.0 I guess this is normal with 3.0 I know other people have had this problem. I wish they would come out with a fix or patch for this.

It has been that way even before version 1.187. I'm sure there is some reason why it hasn't been addressed but I haven't figured it out yet.

fwharris
06-14-2016, 10:33 PM
Basically it is a timing issue of what the computer expects the cut motor RPM to be at. Most times I see it at the very beginning of a V type carve and just hit continue to restart the carve. Really a non issue for me.

DianMayfield
06-14-2016, 11:34 PM
Steve, Thanks for the heads up on VCarve update :)

lynnfrwd
06-15-2016, 10:53 AM
When a new version is released most companies offer a free upgrade to the new version within a specific time frame. Sometimes up to a year. This is the case for all Vectric products. (Aspire, VCarve Pro, PhotoVcarve, etc.)

EDIT: I just upgraded Aspire version 8 to 8.5. It has several new features and tools with some improvements to the existing tools. It was completely free for all who owned version 8.

For those that did not meet the time-frame requirements, the change from Aspire Version 4.5 to Version 8.0 was $400. That is what we call an "upgrade" when the Version changes from 4.5 to 8.0.

Going from Version 8.0 to 8.5 is what we call an update (not an upgrade) to the existing version, that's why they didn't call it Version 9 or something. This update was free ONLY if you already had Version 8.0.

DianMayfield
06-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Connie, I am not at home to confirm, but I believe the message I got when I hit the "check for updates" link, it said it was not an update, but an upgrade and needed a full install - which I downloaded and haven't had a chance to install. But, yes you had to have purchased 8 in the past year.

Unlike when I purchased V2 and 3 months later (I'm pretty sure) V3 came out. That hurt!

SteveNelson46
06-15-2016, 12:50 PM
For those that did not meet the time-frame requirements, the change from Aspire Version 4.5 to Version 8.0 was $400. That is what we call an "upgrade" when the Version changes from 4.5 to 8.0.

Going from Version 8.0 to 8.5 is what we call an update (not an upgrade) to the existing version, that's why they didn't call it Version 9 or something. This update was free ONLY if you already had Version 8.0.

There were no versions 5, 6, or 7. They jumped from 4.5 to 8 so all of their products have the same version number. They also had a time frame for a free upgrade for those who made a fairly recent purchase and not just "Oh well, you should have waited". You can call it what you like but it still had new features, significant improvements, and addressed any problems. It was also done within a reasonable time frame and not 1 to 2 years later. It wouldn't make sense to allow users of a version prior to 4.5 to upgrade for free. However, their updates, interim versions and patches are always free and they still support previous versions. Version 9 will be a major upgrade and I'm sure there will be a charge for it.

SteveNelson46
06-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Connie, I am not at home to confirm, but I believe the message I got when I hit the "check for updates" link, it said it was not an update, but an upgrade and needed a full install - which I downloaded and haven't had a chance to install. But, yes you had to have purchased 8 in the past year.

Unlike when I purchased V2 and 3 months later (I'm pretty sure) V3 came out. That hurt!

Dian,

You are correct. They referred to it as an "Upgrade" and it did require a full install while leaving version 8 intact.

normrichards
06-15-2016, 01:34 PM
There were no versions 5, 6, or 7. They jumped from 4.5 to 8 so all of their products have the same version number. They also had a time frame for a free upgrade for those who made a fairly recent purchase and not just "Oh well, you should have waited". You can call it what you like but it still had new features, significant improvements, and addressed any problems. It was also done within a reasonable time frame and not 1 to 2 years later. It wouldn't make sense to allow users of a version prior to 4.5 to upgrade for free. However, their updates, interim versions and patches are always free and they still support previous versions. Version 9 will be a major upgrade and I'm sure there will be a charge for it.

That is my biggest point, the fact that within a very short time previous versions of designer are left without support. Version 2 was only out for exactly 12 months before all support for it was dropped and a new upgrade came out which required users to pay for the upgrade. If you bought version 2 six to eight months after it came out it was obsolete and worse, with no support only 4 months later. This is discouraging.

lynnfrwd
06-15-2016, 01:41 PM

They are using the terms upgrade/update differently than we are.

(7 months and at the discounted rate)

SteveNelson46
06-15-2016, 08:34 PM
I think we have hijacked this thread beyond the limits. I have said all that I am going to say about upgrades and charges and any further discussion would be counterproductive and accomplish very little. Most of the points on both sides have been made anyway.