PDA

View Full Version : Stl file?

jaustin
06-10-2016, 12:40 PM
If I can provide the stl files could someone convert them to use in the original designer software?

fwharris
06-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Can do.. Either post them here or send me a PM for contact information

mtylerfl
06-11-2016, 11:38 AM
If I can provide the stl files could someone convert them to use in the original designer software?

Even better...invest in the CarveWright STL Importer and you can do it yourself. You will appreciate the convenience, I'm sure.

DickB
06-11-2016, 04:06 PM
If your intent is to make 3D objects, STL Importer is the way to go. But if you want to make 2.5D patterns from stl files, Pattern Sculptor is the way to go. Joe demonstrated this feature at last year's conference, and frankly I was not really aware of its capabilities. I suspect it is a bit of a sleeper feature of Pattern Sculptor. If you're making signs or plaques, rather than 3D objects, then I think importing stl files via Pattern Sculptor is the way to go.

mtylerfl
06-11-2016, 05:18 PM
Yes, what Dick said.

Of course, I don't know if the STL's you have are already relief models (not full 3D) or not. STL Importer will do the simple conversion from STL to PTN, lickety-split. It's what I use weekly for converting relief STL's to PTN format for a quick way to convert. (I then open the PTN in Pattern Editor and re-save immediately as MPW so I have a non-copy-protected version for a backup. This is essential, as the PTN format has copy-protection encoding which potentially could lock you out of editing your own patterns on your future computer systems.)

Pattern Sculptor is an extremely useful tool that most folks don't much about, or what it's for. I'll be demonstrating its powerful features during my presentation at this year's conference, as it applies for importing 3D files for conversion to relief models as well as sculpting, etc. Joe will also be covering Sculptor in great detail.

Sculptor makes it easy to finesse your patterns/models, and can do a much better job in most cases as compared to Pattern Editor (although Pattern Editor has some wonderful tools too, that I still use often). Sculptor has a similar feature as Pattern Editor for saving your patterns as non-copy-protected versions...that file type is called PTR (same benefit as MPW - a "raw" version backup of your pattern without fear of being locked out of your own patterns in the future).

I believe attendees at this year's conference will have quite a benefit over those who can't make it for one reason or another. They'll learn in a couple days what takes many people weeks or months to discover on their own (if ever). Focused learning and "how-to's" for all the various software tools will make for one of the most beneficial CarveWright user conferences yet.

jaustin
06-11-2016, 08:25 PM
This is one of the stl files its a link to a shared drop box folder.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s6un7fskoh2hf69/AAD5Dh22fqMOr_TTI8P41hjXa?dl=0

fwharris has been helping me with making them so I can try to do what i am wanting to do.
If it works out I might purchase the software so i can do it myself.

I am looking at spending upwards up 400 -600 on new software. With the purchase of the software I only can use it on one machine.

I don't know if I want to invest this much into the carvewright system vs moving on to other carving machine that I can possibly have a bigger working surface. Not sure if i even buy the software will I have to upgrade the designer software or will the basic 1.187 still work with the new software.

mtylerfl
06-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Hi John,

The STL Importer works with both Basic and Designer 3. The Sculptor software requires an upgrade to Designer 3 in order to have access to features useful for the CarveWright system. It will run stand-alone, so it could be useful for tweaking STL's (or OBJ files for that matter) for other machines too.

For example, besides my CarveWright machines, I use a ShopBot Buddy and Aspire software. I can tweak a 3D model with either Sculptor or Aspire and use the model in Aspire for carving on the Bot.

jaustin
06-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the info.

I am going to give it a chance and if what I have works I will look into investing in the software.

Scooby
06-12-2016, 08:11 AM
"They'll learn in a couple days what takes many people weeks or months to discover on their own (if ever). Focused learning and "how-to's" for all the various software tools will make for one of the most beneficial CarveWright user conferences yet."

I have been told the company is not going to post the conference video and share the information for those of us that can't go to the conference. Why keep it a secret? If it helps us users it will also help the company. If a company doesn't share how-to information then a lot of machines will not be used to their full potential and/or will not be sold. Yes the forum is a great place to learn from others but why isn't the company updating software for free and offering new tutorials, other companies do. There used to be a monthly tutorial, if there still is I apologize because I have not found them. Many tutorials have been deleted, why not update them or replace them? Who is still using email software from 1995? Software from other companies are updated all the time for free so the consumer can use it and expand knowledge and technology.
When LHR started I called them with a few ideas I had and there was no interest or it was "No we are going to do that" or "I am going to do that." Without the forum there would be a lot of upset people and a lot of machines getting rusty or not even sold.
I know this is a lot but I just had to put in my 2 cents.
p.s. Do the owners read the forums?

kwbcpastor
06-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Great question. I'm sure ,if the conference is the best yet, people would line up for the video.

mtylerfl
06-12-2016, 01:07 PM
It's no secret. There are plenty of tutorials and PDFs already posted online. The problem is there are so many, that people often don't have time (or don't take the time) to view them. Not to mention trying to figure out a logical order in which to view or read them. All the core information is there, though. The forum presents the opportunity for asking questions if a user runs into a snag or if something is still unclear.

In a conference setting, it's often a better flow of learning...building from one topic to the next, making things easier to follow. Plus, there is the advantage of being able to ask questions in real-time during or after each presentation. This can be really helpful.

As as far as videos, I hear this all the time for every conference I attend (Vectric, ArtCAM, CAMaster). Sometimes individuals who attend DO take videos and might even post them online, as long as they receive permission from the company putting on the conference, of course. Most often, video-taking is not permitted for a host of valid reasons...one of which is reducing actual attendance for conferences.

I have attended two conferences where the company did hire a videographer to take videos. Not every presenter wanted to be videotaped though, so the conference videos were not complete. In any case, those videos were available for $150 for anyone who wanted to purchase them (those conferences were not CarveWright and the companies who did them years ago, no longer do so because it adversely affected future attendance).

bjbethke
06-24-2016, 08:37 AM
This is one of the stl files its a link to a shared drop box folder.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s6un7fskoh2hf69/AAD5Dh22fqMOr_TTI8P41hjXa?dl=0

fwharris has been helping me with making them so I can try to do what i am wanting to do.
If it works out I might purchase the software so i can do it myself.

I am looking at spending upwards up 400 -600 on new software. With the purchase of the software I only can use it on one machine.

I don't know if I want to invest this much into the carvewright system vs moving on to other carving machine that I can possibly have a bigger working surface. Not sure if i even buy the software will I have to upgrade the designer software or will the basic 1.187 still work with the new software.

I downloaded that STL File, I don't have the CW STL Program, I used it in DEMO mode; Looks like a great program; I am 78 years old now I don't think I will invest an more money in the CarveWright equipment.

I use a program called Mesh LAB, It works great for me to make the Grayscale image. If you "PM" me your e-mail, I can send you a PDF file to show how I use that program. BJB

bergerud
06-24-2016, 10:43 AM
I never noticed the depthmap shader in Meshlab! Thanks BJB. Good to know.

jaustin
06-24-2016, 12:12 PM
1/32 end mill only works on the newer version of designer, im still running the 1.187

Will the trial version let me create patterns and cut the pattern with the 1/32 before purchasing it?
I like to see how it works before investing more money in to the carvewright.

jaustin
06-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Pm sent with email.
Thanks

I downloaded that STL File, I don't have the CW STL Program, I used it in DEMO mode; Looks like a great program; I am 78 years old now I don't think I will invest an more money in the CarveWright equipment.

I use a program called Mesh LAB, It works great for me to make the Grayscale image. If you "PM" me your e-mail, I can send you a PDF file to show how I use that program. BJB

fwharris
06-24-2016, 02:00 PM
1/32 end mill only works on the newer version of designer, im still running the 1.187

Will the trial version let me create patterns and cut the pattern with the 1/32 before purchasing it?
I like to see how it works before investing more money in to the carvewright.

The software will not let you up load the project to the card. Most times using a bit other than the one in the design will not give you the results expected. In your case the machine will be advancing the board based on the 1/16" bit. The step over will be different with the 1/32" bit. Of course you could always to a test carve just to see.

jaustin
06-24-2016, 06:44 PM
If I download the trial version it will not let me create a project and save it to the memory card to run and see the results?

bergerud
06-24-2016, 06:54 PM
If I recall correctly, the demo will not let you save files or upload to the card. You will, however, be able to "see" the difference on the screen that the 1/32" carving will make.

bjbethke
06-24-2016, 06:57 PM
If I download the trial version it will not let me create a project and save it to the memory card to run and see the results?
Hi John, I did not see the E-mail in the "PM" you sent. I made up a new PDF file for that image, I can attach it to this message. BJB

normrichards
06-24-2016, 09:23 PM
Stl and dxf importers will work with 1.87, new bits will not with the exception of the keyhole bit. All demo programs will not allow you to save to card or carve. You can use any software you buy with multiple carvewright machines but not with other brand or home built cnc machines.

jaustin
06-24-2016, 11:43 PM
Thanks I played with it a little going to take a few tries to figure it out.

jaustin
06-24-2016, 11:49 PM
Stl and dxf importers will work with 1.87, new bits will not with the exception of the keyhole bit. All demo programs will not allow you to save to card or carve. You can use any software you buy with multiple carvewright machines but not with other brand or home built cnc machines.

Thanks
Looks like carvewright isn't going to do what i need it to do. without spending $400-$500. Rather invest it in a bigger machine.

Thanks everyone for the help.